Brake Disc Suppliers (For Info)

Cook1e

Reaction score
Hi Chaps,
I had my rear disc off the other day, to paint the hub and though it didn't look unduly worn, I miked it up just for interest.

At its thickest (unworn) point, it measured about 4mm; 3.6mm where the pads touch. The spec, according to the BMW manual, is 5mm new, 4.5mm wear limit!

The disc came with the wheel, which I bought off here, or maybe eBay, I can't remember - it was many years ago...:rob

Searching this forum, Mr Steptoe's shop seemed like the best deal, but the thread was years old and Neil no longer stocks discs as he can't compete on price.

Sherlock's, Motorworks, Motobins all around £95-£98. Amazon, eBay can be as cheap as £35, but I'm not fitting unknown quality brake parts thanks... :blast

EBC about £75, Brembo about £85 (eBay again, they may be genuine I suppose :nenau )

Then I found these guys, in Greenwich in that London, who make discs & fork tubes. £65 plus a tenner shipping, so one is on the way.

http://www.allbikeengineering.co.uk/index.php

I'll report back when I've got it fitted and worn in - may not be for a few weeks as I refitted the old one on the grounds that it's worked OK for many years, but I'll change it when I next have the wheel out (which won't be long as it looks like I need a new tyre).

Good reviews of their stuff on here from what I remember hearing

Not so good stock control though - an hour or so after I ordered one of those he had 'on the shelf' he called me back to say he was mistaken and it would be a week or so.

No problem for me, but better double-check if you order.

Had two sets off ABE— 800GS and 1150GS. Quality and fit/finish was very good.
The rear disc for the 800gs was the wrong one and it took some convincing the guy that it was wrong.... but once he’d stopped trying to be a sarcastic smart arse and worked with me, the replacement was quickly on its way and fitted perfectly.
Not cheap but as mentioned, it’s better than unknown items off eBay.

better known as A.B.E. , watch out for the fat man , he has shiny things .....but likes to put his hand in your pocket.

I'd heard that about those of the cockney persuasion ;)

It was a guy called Nick who I spoke to, no indication of his waist measurement, but he did say that he wouldn't charge my card until he posted the disc. :thumb

I'd heard that about those of the cockney persuasion ;)

It was a guy called Nick who I spoke to, no indication of his waist measurement, but he did say that he wouldn't charge my card until he posted the disc. :thumb

Give Nick my love, and tell him I’ll be over for a cuppa soon :D

So we come full circle! I'm sure he'd do you trade prices, so you could get some stock to sell good discs at competitive prices again?

He did, and he will (he sorts me out with my own stuff :D) , but it’s if I can be bothered doing all the packing, posting and keeping track of it all, while trying to earn a living, I’m not Motorworks/Sherlocks doing mail order full time. ... it doesn’t help when customers get a neighbour to sign for the goods and the packages are empty, which only comes to light when the customer picks up the package from the neighbour. I can’t claim as the package has been accepted and signed for, the customer isn’t happy and wants a refund ... I can do without the grief.

He did, and he will (he sorts me out with my own stuff :D) , but it’s if I can be bothered doing all the packing, posting and keeping track of it all, while trying to earn a living, I’m not Motorworks/Sherlocks doing mail order full time. ... it doesn’t help when customers get a neighbour to sign for the goods and the packages are empty, which only comes to light when the customer picks up the package from the neighbour. I can’t claim as the package has been accepted and signed for, the customer isn’t happy and wants a refund ... I can do without the grief.

I get that, I've had similar just casually flogging stuff on fleabay. Maybe consider taking your website down? :nenau

Interested how you get on with the disc. Had an advisory on my MOT last October for fluctuation on rear brake so it’s on my ‘to do’ list :rolleyes:

Interested how you get on with the disc. Had an advisory on my MOT last October for fluctuation on rear brake so it’s on my ‘to do’ list :rolleyes:

I'll report back on here. Don't hold your breath though: 2 weeks to get the disc, I'll change it when I get a new tyre - maybe another 2-3 weeks - then a few weeks to wear it in and assess it. :rob

Maybe consider taking your website down? :nenau
. Why ? I’m not a mail order business. It’s how people find me. My main work/business for 34 years has been servicing/repairing BMW motorcycles.

I'll report back on here. Don't hold your breath though: 2 weeks to get the disc, I'll change it when I get a new tyre - maybe another 2-3 weeks - then a few weeks to wear it in and assess it. :rob

Yep........not in a rush to get it sorted myself but interested........definitely a cheaper option :thumby:

The disc arrived a week later, as promised, and Nick called me before charging my card, to make sure I still wanted it. Next day delivery, all good.

So it sat in my garage for months, until MoT time, when I needed a new tyre. Wheel off, old disc off, new tyre fitted, new disc on, wheel back on, MoT passed, all good.

However, whilst using my Mitutoyo micrometer to check the thickness of the new disc, I discovered that I didn't really need a new disc after all. The damned micrometer's giving faulty readings. Doh! :blast

The old disc was replaced because my Mitutoyo micrometer said it was less than 4mm thick. Then it said the new disc was less than 4mm thick also. That can't be right, so I checked with my cheap and nasty digital calipers. All is well, just a gnat's cock shy of 5mm. Does anyone know how to fix a faulty digital reading on a Mitutoyo micrometer?

The good news is the back brake is good (it seems a bit sharper than before, but that may just be me) and I now have a spare disc...

A few photos just for the hell of it:

Attachments

• P6240001.jpg
    P6240001.jpg
    240.3 KB · Views: 181
  • P6240002.jpg
    P6240002.jpg
    241.1 KB · Views: 180
  • P6240004.jpg
    P6240004.jpg
    244.3 KB · Views: 182
And a couple more...

Attachments

• P6260005.jpg
    P6260005.jpg
    189.2 KB · Views: 161
  • P6260006.jpg
    P6260006.jpg
    175.6 KB · Views: 162
Show us your mic.
I measure things for a living.

Stopped a job running today, as the bore was 0.001 oversize.

That's metric, not imperial.

Back
Top Bottom