Busa?

Had a look for a microfiche web page..no luck so far, did see a small fiche of what's under the tanks, no sign of any fuel filter, so may not be any on your model.
 
Had a look for a microfiche web page..no luck so far, did see a small fiche of what's under the tanks, no sign of any fuel filter, so may not be any on your model.
Just checked and the only filters are within the fuel pumps in the tank so they need removing and the "teabag" plastic filters replaced on the pump base. Pump needs to come apart for the main internal filter but worth doing as it could affect high pressure flow if clogged and result in lean running.
 
  • Like
Reactions: HxH
Looks like injectors may have to be removed and ultrasonically cleaned. Primaries also have a mini plastic basket filter. Turns out that even Liquid Moy 4T won't solve the dropping onto 2 cylinders on WOT from low revs...more likely fuel pumps/filters/injector removal and cleaning up to prevent burnt out exhaust valves or damaged pistons. It really irks me that idiots store bikes for years on end without cleaning out the fuel system first and adding conditioners! This could end up being spendy if the seller won't cover it.
 
  • Like
Reactions: HxH
I understand why you are focused on fueling, but don't discount coil sticks/plugs.

My Gen2 always behaved, but my first Gen1 had a similar issue to yours. The filter baskets on each injector were partially blocked with mainly copper debris, presumably from the fuel pump itself. A fiddly DIY job - I just cleaned them up, but I think there are kits available now that allow you to replace the filter baskets & injector seals.

What is the story with the trader you purchased this from? Was it theirs to sell, or a commission sale. I sense they are avoiding responsibility & kicking the ball down the road. hopefully I've got it wrong.
 
ZZR's also a heavier lump (269Kg). I tried one out a few years back and found it quite unwieldly, as it seemed to carry it's weight higher than I imagined. Preferred the original ZZR1100 and 1200 machines.
I had a first model ZZR1100 and later a 1200 and I'm surprised I'm still here.
Every ounce of power was extracted at every opportunity, and rarely did I not have a heart in mouth certain death situation.

I see the odd Busa and ZZR1400 tickling the throttle eo keep within the speed limits and think "not for me any longer"

I have found fun again on my 890, these parallel twins make power like the old 750 fours used too.
 
I had a first model ZZR1100 and later a 1200 and I'm surprised I'm still here.
Every ounce of power was extracted at every opportunity, and rarely did I not have a heart in mouth certain death situation.

I see the odd Busa and ZZR1400 tickling the throttle eo keep within the speed limits and think "not for me any longer"

I have found fun again on my 890, these parallel twins make power like the old 750 fours used too.
I thought the same about them but have changed my mind after finally riding one. It’s effortless progress which makes it relaxing. Overtakes in any gear are effortless too. It’s also compliant on suspension and relatively comfortable. My back means I can’t ride any bike for more than an hour without a break so it suits me fine. You do have to be disciplined though. 3rd gear roll ons can see three figure speeds crop up in seconds.
 
I understand why you are focused on fueling, but don't discount coil sticks/plugs.

My Gen2 always behaved, but my first Gen1 had a similar issue to yours. The filter baskets on each injector were partially blocked with mainly copper debris, presumably from the fuel pump itself. A fiddly DIY job - I just cleaned them up, but I think there are kits available now that allow you to replace the filter baskets & injector seals.

What is the story with the trader you purchased this from? Was it theirs to sell, or a commission sale. I sense they are avoiding responsibility & kicking the ball down the road. hopefully I've got it wrong.
Good tip. Could equally be a failing coil pack. Story is it was in a private collection of 10 bikes from a friend of the dealers hence hardly used. Running in miles only. Bike is good bar a bit of surface corrosion on bolts and casings. Totally standard except for helibars. 3 months warranty on it so should be covered.
 
I thought the same about them but have changed my mind after finally riding one. It’s effortless progress which makes it relaxing. Overtakes in any gear are effortless too. It’s also compliant on suspension and relatively comfortable. My back means I can’t ride any bike for more than an hour without a break so it suits me fine. You do have to be disciplined though. 3rd gear roll ons can see three figure speeds crop up in seconds.
I replaced the ZZR1200 with a GSX1400, followed by a CB1300 which I had for 5 years.
It was a fantastic and comfy bike, but all that torque with just a 5 speed box did make it feel like it had an electric motor at times.
Overtakes from 25mph in top gear sounds great, but it does make things a bit unrewarding and dull.
An MCN review summed up the CB1300 with "Rapid but bland forward motion".
Couldn't argue with that to be honest. 👍
 
Good for long distance work though. I have the Ducati for fun/thrills so the 'busa suits what I need it for, but I know what you mean bod. My old FJ1100 was similar, bags of grunt everywhere but a bit bland.
 
Update: All good! had the secondary injectors removed and cleaned in an U/S bath...lots of crud and varnish removed. Inside of tank gleaming, like new, so no rust or debris. Fuel pump pulled and filter replaced....it was clogged with black gunk. new filer fitted, rest of pump like new. Primary injectors flow fine. Coil packs pulled and checked, all ok. New plugs fitted for good measure and a new air filter fitted whilst airbox accessible. Rectifier/regulator checked on outputs and all healthy. Bike purrs like a kitten now on tickover and revs more freely. Just about to take it on shake down ride nr 2 but expecting that issues now resolved.
 

Attachments

  • IMG_2609.jpg
    IMG_2609.jpg
    338.2 KB · Views: 11
  • IMG_2610.jpg
    IMG_2610.jpg
    211.7 KB · Views: 11
  • IMG_2611.jpg
    IMG_2611.jpg
    306.8 KB · Views: 11
Took it out for a decent spin...wow what a transformation! Buttery smooth and all lean running and stuttering gone, so completely cured. I soon learned NOT to take it on WOT past 7K revs...it enters warp drive with a top end rush that's genuinely scary fast as in utterly batsh1t bonkers! I can honestly say that I have never experienced acceleration like it and it wouldn't be wise to go there on public roads. I could easily ride it in 6th gear though from 25mph on a wave of immense torque and no need to change down for safe, rapid overtakes but one eye on the speedo at all times!

I tried a tight steep uphill B road hairpin and care needed to pick the line precisely due to the long wheelbase. It will take a lot of adjusting to to be competent and comfortable riding such roads. Town work is a doddle. Handling is superb for such a big long bike but obviously not as flickable as my ducati. Pick the right line into a bend and it is rock solid stable. Suspension is lovely and compliant. Brakes are excellent considering the mass. Brembo monobloc calipers a must on something like this so glad I opted for the later model with them.

Comfort was way better than expected. It is a reach to the bars but at no time did it get uncomfortable but then I only rode 25 or so miles. I need to take it out for a proper ride when I get more time. That corbin seat is great and very roomy too.

It's certainly an experience riding one of these. It's immense and very satisfying to ride. Everyone should try one once.
 
Out for a longer spin, then returned and took the Ducati out. I find it hard to admit, but I prefer the Hayabusa for it's smoothness and unflappability. Over a longer run, surprisingly, it was more comfortable and the aero is simply fantastic...zero turbulence felt at any speed which made it a much quieter ride. It highlighted just how much rider fatigue sets in due to dealing with noisy turbulence. You still get a nice flow of air to the helmet when more upright but it's smooth, laminar air flow.

The Ducati is more a ballerina, changes direction at the merest hint of input and achieves near impossible lean angles with stability and confidence. It's a louder engine, at least with the Akras, and the airflow more noisy. I found it more fatiguing over a 50 mile run but the riding position isn't too bad. Not as comfortable as the Busa despite more legroom and higher bars which was unexpected. I'll not be parting with either bike now. This is me for good. I've finally found the holy grail of bikes to do just about anything, and it turns out it's two bikes. Love the Ducati for its character and poise (and engine note), plus it's still a fast, capable road bike despite "just" the 110bhp...Takes off like a scalded cat. Love the Busa for it's civilised smoothness, grunt, ride, handling and comfort. Is 197bhp too much for the road? Perhaps but the amount of sheer grunt on tap means you never need to explore the top end. I'd guess riding the RS1300 might be somewhere between the too but I'll bet less comfortable than either.
 


Back
Top Bottom