Caliper weeping 09GS, experiences?

Popell

Well-known member
UKGSer Subscriber
Joined
Apr 27, 2009
Messages
3,618
Reaction score
146
Location
Coming to a scene near you......, UK
So on two occasions, I’ve spied some fluid sitting on the wheel rim when bike was in garage, after bike been unused for a while. I think I’ve narrowed it down to a weep from lh Caliper. After the first time I unbolted it for inspection, nothing obvious so cleaned it, pushed pistons in and out a few times then reinstalled.
Happened again today and the damp bit seems to emanate from the joint of the two halves.
Not managed to find any details of the seal(o ring?j between the halves and actually seen a couple of mentions NOT to separate them!
Questions:- any one had this?, what solution?
Is tightening the bolts likely to help at all?
Does anyone have a redundant left hand Caliper lying around/on a shelf somewhere?
I understand Motoworks sell them but not sure if they have any stock.

Off the Spain in a few weeks so would like to sort it if possible

Cheers
 
So on two occasions, I’ve spied some fluid sitting on the wheel rim when bike was in garage, after bike been unused for a while. I think I’ve narrowed it down to a weep from lh Caliper. After the first time I unbolted it for inspection, nothing obvious so cleaned it, pushed pistons in and out a few times then reinstalled.
Happened again today and the damp bit seems to emanate from the joint of the two halves.
Not managed to find any details of the seal(o ring?j between the halves and actually seen a couple of mentions NOT to separate them!
Questions:- any one had this?, what solution?
Is tightening the bolts likely to help at all?
Does anyone have a redundant left hand Caliper lying around/on a shelf somewhere?
I understand Motoworks sell them but not sure if they have any stock.

Off the Spain in a few weeks so would like to sort it if possible

Cheers
I'd just get another one, especially since you're off soon. You'll want if fixed and off the list. Sherlock's, Motorworks, eBay. You can then take the original assist at your leisure and fix.
 
Where are you ? I have a spare you can borrow if needed. I'm in Herts.
 
I ended up buying a repair kit of seals and pistons, easy enough job which turned out fine. The motor works ones meant you paid for the caliper and then the seals on top, I was happy that the body of the caliper was good so the repair kit made the most sense.
 
I had a similar issue, ended up buying the piston repair kit from motorworks and then sent the pair of calipers and the piston kit to powerhouse.co.uk. They did a full clean and rebuild for £115.55

I too was worried about splitting the calipers as I had read this somewhere:

Factory service guidelines from both BMW Motorrad and Brembo strictly forbid separating the caliper halves. Brembo manufactures these two-piece fixed calipers using stretch bolts torque-yielded during assembly. Brembo does not supply replacement internal fluid passage O-rings or factory torque specifications for the caliper joining bolts to dealerships or UK aftermarket suppliers like Motorworks or Works Enduro Rider.

Splitting the halves risks fluid leaks under high pressure due to improper bolt stretch or incorrect cross-section O-ring placement, potentially causing catastrophic front brake failure. All piston and main dust/fluid seal overhauls must be performed with the caliper halves fully assembled.
 
I had a similar issue, ended up buying the piston repair kit from motorworks and then sent the pair of calipers and the piston kit to powerhouse.co.uk. They did a full clean and rebuild for £115.55

I too was worried about splitting the calipers as I had read this somewhere:
I found that it was not necessary to split the callipers, the pistons came out fine, clean up, replace the seals and I was good to go, no problem since
 


Back
Top Bottom