Camping torch

sanqhar

Reaction score
Any good but not ridiculous priced small torches out there, suitable for camping.
I am not interested in a head torch.
Tom

That's interesting, because a small head torch is the most valuable lighting you can get - you don't have to use it on your head. By having it on your head though, that leaves both hands free for pitching in the dark, you can hang it in the tent as a means of lighting to see to dress or sort your sleeping bag, or to cook by, again hands free. Failing that, the old standby of the Mini maglite is still a good, compact torch that you can take the lens off and use it as an electric candle giving off all-round light, again, either hung from the gear line or free standing.

A small cheap torch to do what?

Illuminate the bushes, when you have a midnight pee?

Light up your tent, so you can read?

Signal that you are in distress, as you have lost your torch?

Do any of these light your world?

https://www.independent.co.uk/extra...ng-amazon-led-rechargeable-cree-a9064986.html

https://inews.co.uk/ibuys/travel-and-outdoor/best-torches-headtorches-running-led-powerful-small-uk/

https://outdoorsly.org/best-camping-flashlight/

https://www.campingthings.com/best-handheld-torch-flashlights/

Or perhaps something as cheap and simple as this from B&Q:

https://www.diy.com/departments/diall-battery-powered-led-work-light-220lm/1370081_BQ.prd

That's interesting, because a small head torch is the most valuable lighting you can get - you don't have to use it on your head. By having it on your head though, that leaves both hands free for pitching in the dark, you can hang it in the tent as a means of lighting to see to dress or sort your sleeping bag, or to cook by, again hands free. Failing that, the old standby of the Mini maglite is still a good, compact torch that you can take the lens off and use it as an electric candle giving off all-round light, again, either hung from the gear line or free standing.

Aint that so, even more than you think, few years ago had a headlight failure on the old Harley, strapped the LED headlight torch to the headlight, it got me home safe, always have one on the bike somewhere now.

Was camping at the weekend and more than once, walking back to the tent, I was blinded by someone walking towards me wearing a head torch.
This was particularly difficult because of the broken ground I was walking over (the only downside to the Overland Event).
Leds are bright and perfect for camping but not shone in your face. If a fellow camper shone their torch in your eyes as they walked towards you you would soon complain. Head torches are indiscriminate. I prefer a torch that I can direct where I want it to shine.

Tom

Was camping at the weekend and more than once, walking back to the tent, I was blinded by someone walking towards me wearing a head torch.
This was particularly difficult because of the broken ground I was walking over (the only downside to the Overland Event).
Leds are bright and perfect for camping but not shone in your face. If a fellow camper shone their torch in your eyes as they walked towards you you would soon complain. Head torches are indiscriminate. I prefer a torch that I can direct where I want it to shine.

Tom

Should be in the forum rant area Tom. :D

Maglite or Led Lenser torches offer an optional head-band to hold a conventional torch. Best of both worlds.
Of course a head torch can be hand-held too.

Not a rant. I am just explaining why I don’t want a head torch.

Tom

Tom

Any tactical GSer knows that at night you should always have one eye closed to preserve night vision whilst pissing in the bushes or walking back to the tent from the pub whilst pissed

I have one of these. I think it's a copy of an O Lite.

It works well, rechargeable although you can just use a battery if you can't recharge. The rechargeable battery lasts a long time.

Several settings from dim to very bright. Comes out of the head strap so you get the choice of head torch or torch.

I bought an LED torch at the Dent event. £15. It's powered by AA batteries and has a single light in one end and an LED strip down the side. The other end is magnetic, so you can string a washer in the tent and attach it to the washer by the magnetic end. The strip can be switched from white LED to red. Just in case you want to stop a passing train!!! Gives a very good light for reading (strip) or the inevitable dash to the loo! Damned if i can find it just now but will post more info when I do!

Not a rant. I am just explaining why I don’t want a head torch.

Tom

See post #7 and what I said - a head torch is also a hand torch! But the reverse isn't so.
I know exactly what you mean about idiots using a torch to walk by in the dark, it is unecessary and you can see far better witjout one - within the beam you have hard light that casts shadows so rocky ground is more dangerous with a torch than without. A good headlight has a low powered red LED, this casts just a feint loom and preserves your night vision. Getting scouts to walk a night hike WITHOUT using their torch, other than to check the map, isn't easy, but once they have clocked the advantages, they manage superbly.

I bought an LED torch at the Dent event. £15. It's powered by AA batteries and has a single light in one end and an LED strip down the side. The other end is magnetic, so you can string a washer in the tent and attach it to the washer by the magnetic end. The strip can be switched from white LED to red. Just in case you want to stop a passing train!!! Gives a very good light for reading (strip) or the inevitable dash to the loo! Damned if i can find it just now but will post more info when I do!

Probably rolled up in the tent.

See post #7 and what I said - a head torch is also a hand torch! But the reverse isn't so.
I know exactly what you mean about idiots using a torch to walk by in the dark, it is unecessary and you can see far better witjout one - within the beam you have hard light that casts shadows so rocky ground is more dangerous with a torch than without. A good headlight has a low powered red LED, this casts just a feint loom and preserves your night vision. Getting scouts to walk a night hike WITHOUT using their torch, other than to check the map, isn't easy, but once they have clocked the advantages, they manage superbly.

Practice at home by never turning on the lights. Saves on the electricity bill and reduces your carbon footprint.

Something like: Nebo Big Larry, which is available from Argos

The very one Wappers! Thanks. Mine is the 2 version. A bit cheaper than I paid but this was at an outdoor shop in't dales. Still can't find mine though and no, it's not in the tent! :D. It fits in the hand fine but it's quite a hefty beastie, so you'd not miss it easily.

What's all this getting out of your tent to pee in the bushes? I couldn't camp without my 2L plastic milk bottle en suite facility.

BTW. A head torch is best to free up both hands as pissing in the dark isn't advisable in your tent. Damhik.

What's all this getting out of your tent to pee in the bushes? I couldn't camp without my 2L plastic milk bottle en suite facility.

BTW. A head torch is best to free up both hands as pissing in the dark isn't advisable in your tent. Damhik.

Spot on. I've just upgraded my en suite pee station to a 1.8 litre wide necked version :augie

Head torch works for me. Mine has an automatic dip facility to avoid blinding oncoming pedestrians :rolleyes: (no it doesn't) :D

If you need a torch to pee you'd be better off learning where your dick is in the dark.

Back
Top Bottom