Can you test the ABS motor in situ for stuck Brushes ? using Motorsan ?

biglew1962

Reaction score
does anyone know if this is possible using the motoscan app, To activate the abs pump or valves ?
Before I pull it out.
Also the brake light is not working of the front brake, Apparently its activated off a pressure vale somewhere in the abs..

Thanks in Advance.

Yes you can activate it.

There is a flush function, to pump out all the oil from the modulator.

There should be (I don’t have the app on this device with me) a short test function if I remember correctly.

If the brushes are bad and there is no contact it won;t make any difference! the Fault code 24049 power supply to pump motor will identify that for you

There is No connection so it won't spin! BUT have a look here for a solution

try hitting the pump with a block of wood (firmly), its the same unit on the cars, many car forums claim this method tends to keep it working for 6 months at a time

on a K1300GT (at its so easy to reach) I think I'd drill a hole and squirt contact cleaner in there - to get the gunk out - I expect it'll work like new

did my washing machine the other day the amount of crud worn brushes leave is quite ridiculous - on the bosch machines of 25 years back they built a rear motor with fixed brushes then deliberately made one side stick in the guide - it obviously wears lop sided, till the non sticking brush short circuits and explodes the back of the motor ....they got caught - and have to provide JUST the rear half of the screw together motor with a new housing that takes replaceable brushes.... I was cleaning that replacement... its worn the brushes dead even.

Last edited:
try hitting the pump with a block of wood (firmly), its the same unit on the cars, many car forums claim this method tends to keep it working for 6 months at a time

on a K1300GT (at its so easy to reach) I think I'd drill a whole and squirt contact cleaner in there - and get the gunk out - I expect it'll work like new - did my washing machine the other day the amount of crud worn brushes leave is quite ridiculous
Not really recommended as it the motor is crimped in position with very small indentations

Bashing it across the axis is likely to break a crimp free !

the motor replacement is actually quite easy to do once it is out as described in the link above!

Not really recommended as it the motor is crimped in position with very small indentations

Bashing it across the axis is likely to break a crimp free !
that could be a good point - many seem to struggle rebuilding to get the motor to sit concentric

but then if its messed up it not going to hurt much - as a temp winter fix - maybe just whack the aluminum body then... the crimps on mine were pretty substantial - I notice on early mercs around 2005 with a very similar unit they used a screws to hold on the motor !

Its very simple that motor from the ford plops straight on

I used 4 x m6 bolts but suspect I would only use 2 if doing it again

They only hold the motor against the raised corner areas to prevent rotation

the OE crimps are like some tapped a small cold chisel into the alloy and only a minor crimp was caused

that could be a good point - many seem to struggle rebuilding to get the motor to sit concentric

but then if its messed up it not going to hurt much - as a temp winter fix - maybe just whack the aluminum body then... the crimps on mine were pretty substantial - I notice on early mercs around 2005 with a very similar unit they used a screws to hold on the motor !

It’s a dead easy fix - takes longer to bleed the brakes afterwards than to swap the motors.

I replaced it with a motor from a 1 Series. Seems to work fine.

I'm planning to stock a couple of Ford motors.

I posted this on the forum few years ago -, Take the R/H tank panel off which’ll give you access to the part you need. Place a drift against the black cylindrical part that looks like an aerosol can lid, hit the drift. It’ll free the brushes, which may last for 50 yards or a year. But it costs nothing so what have you got to lose,

Problem Solved, All i had to do was buy Motoscan Ultimate and bleed the ABS front and rear, This is super easy about 5 minutes tops and no spanner needed,
ABS light is of and now all working.

Back
Top Bottom