Canbus charging problem

Zac

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
So, I have a Noco 3500 charger which, the makers claim, is Canbus compatible. I've bought the Noco Canbus adapter so in theory I should be all good to charge my 1250GSA, but when I plug the charger in, it doesn't seem to register that it's connected and I get a flashing red-light on the adaptor. Has anyone else had a similar issue or know what the solution is? Or should I just fork out for a BMW charger or optimate?

Any help much appreciated.

Cheers

Just connect it to the battery, simple.

I have the optimate and it works fine plugged in the din socket on the bike dash.

I dont know your charger, but on the optimate it has 2 modes, you have to actually put it in the canbus mode for it to work.
yours might be the same.

once done its great.

As above check that it's in the right mode.

I have the same Noco charger and I gave up trying to routinely charge through the port because of disconnections.

I have a BMW charger, must be 16 yrs old, its can bus. Bike is 1250GSA 2021
If I plug it in to socket with ignition switched off the charger fault light comes on. When ignition is switched on it starts charging. Switch off ignition and it stays charging.
I presume modern can bus chargers also need to see ignition switched on initially?

As soon as you switch ignition off, plug into din socket. Then switch on charger. Din socket is only live and open for a very short time after ignition is off. Charger keeps it open and away you go. BTW I use an Optimate in Canbus mode and works perfectly.

Not necessary with a BMW Canbus charger. You can plug in anytime and starts charging.

Really useful advice. Will try ignition on/off technique. The noco 3500 does say its canbus compatible so hopefully it will work

Not necessary with a BMW Canbus charger. You can plug in anytime and starts charging.

agreed, same with my Optimate 4, no need to plug in while din socket is live.
I can walk in garage the day after and plug it in with no issues

very strange how everyone seems to have a different experience.

agreed, same with my Optimate 4, no need to plug in while din socket is live.
I can walk in garage the day after and plug it in with no issues

very strange how everyone seems to have a different experience.

Will try that, on my old RT, 2002 you needed to follow the ignition procedure with the BMW charger. It was stated in the charger manual. Never thought to try anything different:blast

Hi Zac,
Did you ever get your noco 3500 to work on the canbus din socket?
I’m having the same problem with mine. It worked fine using that socket on my k1300s, but on my R1250RS it just seems start charging and then resets and starts charging again.
With ignition on, it seemed to charge ok, but as soon as I turn off again, it goes back to resetting and charging again
I’ve seen on other posts that there might be a problem with the way the canbus works on the newer bikes too

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back
Top Bottom