Ceramic Coating, Snake oil or actually worth it?

Hartley

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
I dont know about this product, plenty of people out there singing its praises but many appear to have a vested interest. Wondering if its really that good?
Like to hear from those whove actually shelled out for it.

As with all things there is ceramic coating and ceramic coating - The stuff applied by dealers for a few hundred is certainly not the same as the decent stuff - the trouble is its often not applied correctly and can wear off faster than a decent sealent.

The good stuff will require machine correcting before coating and is very impressive as I have seen it still beeding after 3 years just like day 1 - but its eye watteringly expensive.

I had a car properly ceramic coated 7 years ago.
Paint corrected and everything first, then G tecniq ceramic.

It’s been topped up twice and it’s still fine.

Took 2 days, cost about £600.

Lad I know is an accredited G Technic applicator. As has been said above he machine prepares the car long before applying anything. I was amazed how aggressively they prepare the car just to remove all the swirlies

As with all things there is ceramic coating and ceramic coating - The stuff applied by dealers for a few hundred is certainly not the same as the decent stuff - the trouble is its often not applied correctly and can wear off faster than a decent sealent.

The good stuff will require machine correcting before coating and is very impressive as I have seen it still beeding after 3 years just like day 1 - but its eye watteringly expensive.

This. I've seen some detailer of motorcycles flogging their services for 150 quid that simply amount to a detailed clean (not a stage 1 polish) and applying ceramics that are designed for home use, and go on as easy as you like at the expense of harshness level and longevity. It's not to say that these these products, and their slightly more challenging prosumer ranges aren't worthwhile to the diyer, but to wary of anybody not offering professional products and which in the car prep and application will usually takes 2-3 days to do, and be heat cured. Expect to pay 350 for a bike, 5-600 for a car.

I'm still sceptical, also, that there's a decent ceramic coating out that suits the engine and exposed parts on a motorcycle.

Had my Triple Black Tc done by a guy that came recommended by many on here, made sod all difference to cleaning times. Snake oil.

I treated my last K16 and the current K16 when they were both new. On the current one which will be 3 years old in June, the coating is still going strong and I have never polished the bike again because it doesn't need it.

I treated my last K16 and the current K16 when they were both new. On the current one which will be 3 years old in June, the coating is still going strong and I have never polished the bike again because it doesn't need it.

by whom or what product.

Not all are equal so it seems.

when its a real ceramic that is correctly applied and maintained as instructed, then it will work. The local car scratcher using halfords finest and then you washing it with tfr or muck off is never going to work

Back
Top Bottom