Chains

Redboots

Member well-known
UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
Can someone please measure their chain on the 790/890?
Specifically the distance across the link plates: nc2s.jpg
The chain I removed is 15mm at this point. The new one 12.8mm.
Different makes. New one is DID, old one is ČZ.
Have I been sold a pup or am I being an old woman?

Plate height is not usually a critical dimension.

Distance between pin centres should be the same as your old chain, as should the internal width of the narrow links.

Plate height is not usually a critical dimension.

Distance between pin centres should be the same as your old chain, as should the internal width of the narrow links.
Old woman it is then :)
You are correct. Its a 520.
Me being daft. The inboard plates of the new one are 15mm so its just the outer plate that is smaller.
Weight saving or made to a price. It is lighter in the hand than the old one, but have not actually weighed it

A 520 chain has a pitch of 5/8ths” and an internal width of 1/4”. I can’t remember the roller diameter off hand.

I have stuck with the CZ oem when replacing the chain on my 1290S. Along with the Scott Oiler, it gives great mileage.

I have stuck with the CZ oem when replacing the chain on my 1290S. Along with the Scott Oiler, it gives great mileage.
Oh, I thought DID was OEM.
On the plus side everything just feels much smoother now.

Not since my Fireblade I sold in '97 have I had anything to do with chains, except the the KTM 950 and apart from adjusting it, it wasn't a "thing". My TR1 has an enclosed chain and its good for ever.

oem bmwobbleU chain is...:censor:
I've been using DID Xrings, once with a Scotoiler needing a vaccuum connection but with now a simple but effective Tutoro oiler which just needs inertia and gravity and I have never looked back. BTW, the Tutoro self-cleaning nozzle works well-
Most stuff is built to budget as bean counters prevail- built in obsolescence IMHO
Howz 'things' John?

I like DID Gold/Gold X ring chains.

DID make a convenient small tool to split and join with the hollow joining pin.

I don't use an oiler just Motorex chain spray

Tool like this?
Cleverly designed to both break and rivet shut a chain. Just about 9cm long!1000003657.jpg

Most things work better when you give them a twist or...untwist them too :D
Glad to hear U rock!

Most things work better when you give them a twist or...untwist them too :D
Glad to hear U rock!
I'm muckin' about with an Insta 360 I bought of Ebay (Used).
Mountings always seem to be the weak point of these things, on bikes anyway.
At the moment I have cut down a 5mm bolt and Loctited that into a 35mm M5 long-nut.
20mm protruding from the long-nut replaces the screen retaining screw.
On the other end I have an M5 to 1/4 UNC adapter. All in stainless.
Now waiting for a camera locking gubbins and then the camera will sit right on the front of the bike.
adapt2.jpg

Back
Top Bottom