Clank from forks topping out.

ChazzyB

Monstrous member
UKGSer Subscriber
Joined
Aug 23, 2015
Messages
9,857
Reaction score
3,595
Location
Nr The Castle on the Hill
It's been getting worse for a while: the forks on my D-ESA equipped 2018 R1200R makes a rather disconcerting clank when the forks top out. Like coming off a speed cushion or road hump with a little bit of positive throttle; suddenly whacking the throttle open in 2nd with mid-range revs already dialed in, etc. This will produce a clank from the front that has been getting worse and harder to ignore. It only happens with the suspension in Road mode. It doesn't happen in Dynamic mode. I probably only started using Road mode most of the time last year as it's so much more comfortable on our poor country roads. The fork oil was changed about 2.5 years ago at around 22K miles. Mileage now approaching 35K.

Any ideas? I'm going to change the fork oil thinking it may have changed to water, affecting the rebound.
 
I was going to say , look at your shock not the forks ,

but the 2018 is std forks not telelever , so that rules that one out

might be some of the internal restrictors are clogged / broken


I'm guessing it has ESA or similar , normally you'd just alter the rebound damping

Have you confirmed that the rebound damping is working sufficiently ,

I used to cycle the suspension on my GS to stop the height and damping failure issue noted by so many, it made no difference , it still failed , and they only warrant those units to 30K

Give Denzo a shout, he may be able to help
 
I was going to say , look at your shock not the forks ,

but the 2018 is std forks not telelever , so that rules that one out

might be some of the internal restrictors are clogged / broken


I'm guessing it has ESA or similar , normally you'd just alter the rebound damping

Have you confirmed that the rebound damping is working sufficiently ,

I used to cycle the suspension on my GS to stop the height and damping failure issue noted by so many, it made no difference , it still failed , and they only warrant those units to 30K

Give Denzo a shout, he may be able to help
+1 for Lukasz (Denzo)
 


Back
Top Bottom