Clutch Slipping R1200GS LC ('17)

Rob c

Member
UKGSer Subscriber
Joined
Oct 7, 2025
Messages
22
Reaction score
19
Location
Shropshire
Evening all.

R1200GS LC 2017.
39750 mls.

My clutch has a tendency to slip under load or quick gear changes (not with quick shifter). Thinking of having the clutch replaced. However, I've picked up from many of the forums out there that it may well be the clutch reservoir is to full(?). Apparently a symptom of the clutch gradually wearing under normal circumstances. I lifted the clutch reservoir lid to find that it is full to the brim. Can this cause slipping of the clutch under load? No other symptoms...
 
yes .
as the clutch wears , it pushes the pushrod rearward , pushing fluid back into the reservoir .
add a bit of heat expansion , a blocked return port . ( or your hand on the lever ) hey presto = clutch slip.
 
Many thanks. Never heard of it before. I'll be extracting a little fluid today and see how the test ride goes on 👍
 
Put a cloth around the top before you loosen it,,

As if it is overfull, fluid will push out first and over the paint work..

Which you DONT want too happen..
 
Evening all.

R1200GS LC 2017.
39750 mls.

My clutch has a tendency to slip under load or quick gear changes (not with quick shifter). Thinking of having the clutch replaced. However, I've picked up from many of the forums out there that it may well be the clutch reservoir is to full(?). Apparently a symptom of the clutch gradually wearing under normal circumstances. I lifted the clutch reservoir lid to find that it is full to the brim. Can this cause slipping of the clutch under load? No other symptoms...
Whilst you are looking at the fluid level, have a look to make sure the clutch lever isn’t contacting the hand guard! I’ve had it on one occasion when the lever wasn’t fully releasing after I had contacted the hand guard on the garage wall when moving the bike about, thus moving the hand guard down slightly. The clutch slip when this happened was constant obviously and not just in certain circumstances 🤔
 
Whilst you are looking at the fluid level, have a look to make sure the clutch lever isn’t contacting the hand guard! I’ve had it on one occasion when the lever wasn’t fully releasing after I had contacted the hand guard on the garage wall when moving the bike about, thus moving the hand guard down slightly. The clutch slip when this happened was constant obviously and not just in certain circumstances 🤔
👍
 
Took the clutch reservoir m/oil cap off and yes, it's full to the brim. I've syphoned some out so it's now about 10-15 mm from the cap brim. Some say the rubber insert should be just touching the oil. Any comments on that procedure?
Test ride this afternoon, when it stops raining!!
 
I'm surprised. That's a very early fail for a clutch on these, usually 70000 miles plus ... Please keep us informed 👍
 
At least you don't have to split the engine and box like the old fully air cooled bikes ; so hopefully it should be a bit cheaper to do; steptoe would tell you if and when he resurfaces.
 
I'm surprised. That's a very early fail for a clutch on these, usually 70000 miles plus ... Please keep us informed 👍
Will do. I'm a steady rider so no hard work on the clutch.

I'm surprised too. I bought it at approx 34k miles from a rider who used it for commuting into London from Cambridge. Service stamps in Park Lane....
I'll ask the mechanic to analyse the old clutch for anything unusual. Booked in for the end of this month....
 


Back
Top Bottom