Comfy old boots bike service resto thread

Well that was disappointing. I still have that rattle.

The engine started bogging down. Like it had bad fuel. Wasn't like that earlier. Let's be honest, I have not a single clue how to tune this thing so I might have done something wrong. I seem to remember a hall sensor or tps or something going on an r850r I had years ago and it felt like this.

Just no go in it at all. Bringing back into the garden
 
well I have done the rebalance again. is there any thing else I should do before I take it out? Reset the calibrations or something?
 
Out again. didn't bog down this time but the mirror went floppy so I had to come home. I'll ride it to work tomorrow see how it goes. Kinda disappointed though. Think I need to get someone to double check it for me.
 
The right throttle cable adjustment didn’t seem to do much. Also very hard to tighten the bottom nut due to the two of them being so close together.
 
Followed this from the start.

I would be interested to hear how much this refurb has cost in parts and consumables.
Plus how much spent on tools to do the job.
 
Right, I'm not convinced. Took the bike out again (it's rush hour - not the right time). The engine warning light was solid. no abs. came home plugged in the 911. Low voltage and front wheel sensor error. cleared the errors and turned ignition back on and it was back to working.

Knock sensor warning as well. not the first time I've seen that. I'm going to go out for a reasonable spin later to try and get it up to temp and give it a proper run. Seems to run better after the second tune up. Idle at 1100 it used to be 1400 or 1500. bike is vibrating a good bit on idle. this is it five mins ago. think it sounds ok


 
Last edited:
Another test drive. A bit disappointed.

Firstly, I'm getting a new error code on the abs and I've the brake failure light solid again.

1 fault codes found:

23954Front Wheel Speed Sensor : Signal implausible (pulse encoder periodic monitoring)
I tried taking that sensor off and destroyed the screw so maybe it is out of alignment? I didn't replace the wavey washers either. maybe it's a bit off because of that? Any suggestions welcome. maybe it just needed a clean. I sprayed a decent whack of brake cleaner on it.

The other thing is the bike is bogging down around 4k, I really don't think I have set the idle etc properly. I know the 911 does that for me but the left had no free play at all. I'm wondering was it set the way it was for a good reason.
 
Last edited:
Just thinking out loud but also had knock sensor 2 fault. Would this cause the poor running? Turns out there was water inside the connector so I'll find out tomorrow if that is fixed.
 
At it before work.

The ABS is giving a fault front the front sensor. The gap seems really big. It’s odd. I’ll take the front wheel off Friday and make everything is installed properly.

However, when I took disks off, I didn’t realise there are three : possibly four different washers involved:

ABS / left-hand disc —
1. Wheel hub
↓
2. ABS sensor ring — BMW 34528549506
↓
3. Inner/“wheel-side” stop washer — 34117697387
4. Brake disc
5. Roll pin / mounting bobbin — 34112314887
6. Wave washer — 34112314888
7. Outer/roller-side thrust washer — 34117682434
↓
8. M8 disc bolt

right hand disc
↓
34117670217 — inner disc mount washer
↓
Brake disc
34112314887 — mounting bobbin
34112314888 — wave washer
34117682434 — outer thrust washer
↓
M8 bolt


I didn’t install them in the correct order. However, that might offset the discs a bit but does not account for the large gap between the front and sensor and the wheel. As I understand it and this is tbc, the abs ring sits directly on the wheel hub. So it should not increase of decrease the distance. Maybe I didn’t install the wheel correctly? Either way, there has to be a logical solution to it. Maybe the abs sensor bracket got bent?

Think I’ll just get a full set of washers and redo the front caliprrs.
Yes the sensors bolts is fubar.


IMG_7489.jpegIMG_7490.jpeg
 
Last edited:
Then there is the knock sensor 2 fault. Is this the knock sensor? Should it only have one wire? It’s a piezo contact mic essentially? Shouldn’t that have two wires? Must check the other side…

I’ve disconnected the lambs probes so the engine will run a basic fueling map. IMG_7492.jpegIMG_7491.jpeg
 
I wonder did I install this back to front? BMW says it needs to be inserted first. I’ve no idea what I did truth be told 🤪. There is an obvious difference from looking at the photo. I’d nearly put money on me having the bit with the groove at the hub side not the fork side. That might account for a bigger gap. Seems logical…



IMG_7493.jpg
 
Single brown wire with green trace (brown/green) = oil pressure sensor.
Knock sensors do have two wires, green/brown & green/red one side and grey/black & grey/brown the other.
 
I’ve no idea how I installed it. It fell out when I took the axle out. I’ve installed it with the grooved end in the wheel itself. No idea if it will make any difference.
 
Thank you both. Drat. Does not fix anything. I’ll have to leave the rest of this until Friday. At least I can ride to work.

Also wondering can I just add a millimetre washer underneath the ABS ring that way bringing it closer to the ABS sensor?

I also cleaned the abs sensor so maybe the gods will be kind to me.
 
Last edited:


Back
Top Bottom