Comms kit for flip up helmet .

Arsey

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
I’ve just bought a couple of Shark Evo S helmets in Motolegends flash sale .
If they fit and are comfy I might flog the Neotec 2s and get comms kits for the Sharks.
What kits fit a flip up ?

0bb9372318596031259fd3c7d73615e3.jpg

I know Cardo do a Half Helmet Kit but is there anything else ? Ta.

Sent from my Nokia 3310 using Thetwatcantalk

Use the Cardo Packtalk and now the Cardo Edge in the Evo GT, works fine with the boom mic
Had to dremmel the ear recess a little bit to get the JBL speakers to sit in the pre-formed ear recess
If it has the same neck cushion as the Evo GT, it's a bit like wrestling an oil covered snake into a matchbox

Ta for replies.
Will have a look.
Bit loathe to back to Cardo as had nothing but issues with G9X and then Packtalk a few years back.

Use the Cardo Packtalk and now the Cardo Edge in the Evo GT, works fine with the boom mic
Had to dremmel the ear recess a little bit to get the JBL speakers to sit in the pre-formed ear recess
If it has the same neck cushion as the Evo GT, it's a bit like wrestling an oil covered snake into a matchbox

Ta .
Would the JBL45s fit too ?
Shame they don’t bundle them with the Edge as standard .
It’s been at least 5 years since I gave up on Cardo so might give them another go if the Evo ES fits well . Bet it bloody doesn’t !

For info, I've just upgraded my Cardo Bold to the Edge. The difference in clarity and volume is very impressive. (It's in a Shoei GT-air 2)

Ta .
Would the JBL45s fit too ?
Shame they don’t bundle them with the Edge as standard .
It’s been at least 5 years since I gave up on Cardo so might give them another go if the Evo ES fits well . Bet it bloody doesn’t !

I have the 45's with the Edge.
Had to make the recess just a little wider and dremmel into the liner to get them flush. Shark have the ear recess to fit their own kit
The inner on the GT is like a black plastic / polystyrene. It's quite easy to get a nice finish. I use a flexi hose attachment to the dremmel with the conical stone attachment, then smooth the recess with a flat blade screwdriver to get a nice surface for the sticky velcro
Offer up the speaker and mark the edge cut out to fit the speaker. Access is OK as the chinbar is out of the way. Also, I cut a little recess for the mic plug then duct taped over it
Done 2 of my own Shark Evo's, 1st was a bit fraught, taking a spinning thing to the inside of a new helmet, did my mates new Evo GT on Friday as he didn't fancy the job. Quite handy having an extra hand getting the neck collar back in.....not a lot of room, just a lot of gentle wiggling

I fit both Arai and Shoei. The Shark Evo is a great fit for me too......round head

For info, I've just upgraded my Cardo Bold to the Edge. The difference in clarity and volume is very impressive. (It's in a Shoei GT-air 2)
Spot on....and it connects everytime

Had to make the recess just a little wider and dremmel into the liner to get them flush. Shark have the ear recess to fit their own kit
The inner on the GT is like a black plastic / polystyrene. It's quite easy to get a nice finish. I use a flexi hose attachment to the dremmel with the conical stone attachment, then smooth the recess with a flat blade screwdriver to get a nice surface for the sticky velcro
Offer up the speaker and mark the edge cut out to fit the speaker. Access is OK as the chinbar is out of the way. Also, I cut a little recess for the mic plug then duct taped over it
Done 2 of my own Shark Evo's, 1st was a bit fraught, taking a spinning thing to the inside of a new helmet, did my mates new Evo GT on Friday as he didn't fancy the job. Quite handy having an extra hand getting the neck collar back in.....not a lot of room, just a lot of gentle wiggling

I fit both Arai and Shoei. The Shark Evo is a great fit for me too......round head

Ta for that. Great info.Are the 45s much better than the 40s ?

I've always use these people for my intercoms, very reliable and great backup.

Last edited:
Ta for that. Great info.Are the 45s much better than the 40s ?
Edit for previous post, the 45mm are in my second helmet......
From having the original Cardo speakers to the original JBL's to the upgrade 45mm has made a difference in the bass and the clarity in both JBL sets
I have the 45mm in the full face Shoei, which doesn't get used much and the supplied 40mm with the edge in the much used Shark. I should swap them around but the thought of x2 inner lining removals / re-fittings is something I need to build up to :oops:
I wear filtered earplugs, the type you can hear speech, music etc, but cut the wind noise. At a standstill, listening to music via Spotify, it is excellent. When moving, with the flip up and over, it is still very good, especially the volume increase as outside noise increases. Can't have the cardo at full volume even with the plugs in
The 40mm supplied with the Edge are very good
You get some more audio tweaks via the app
The radio function is either crap or can't work it properly
Phone calls are clear and people aren't aware I am on the bike even with the chin bar open
I went from Packtalk to Edge earlier this year and I'm sure the audio quality increased. Better bluetooth with the Edge
With the Packtalk, if I walked around the bike the connection was lost, sometimes even turning my head to the left (unit is on left side) would make the connection falter
With the Edge, I can get back into the house and halfway down the hall with the bike on the drive before the connection starts to get lost
The magnetic connection is very good once you get used to the release, and 3000 miles later, it hasn't fallen off (hope that's not the kiss of death)

The other consideration is that the Cardo is fully waterproof. The battery is the weak point for me, 2 Packtalks have lost battery capacity over 3 years each as they get used a lot. The Edge now has 3 years warranty

https://www.pama.com/cardo/faq/

Edit for previous post, the 45mm are in my second helmet......
From having the original Cardo speakers to the original JBL's to the upgrade 45mm has made a difference in the bass and the clarity in both JBL sets
I have the 45mm in the full face Shoei, which doesn't get used much and the supplied 40mm with the edge in the much used Shark. I should swap them around but the thought of x2 inner lining removals / re-fittings is something I need to build up to :oops:
I wear filtered earplugs, the type you can hear speech, music etc, but cut the wind noise. At a standstill, listening to music via Spotify, it is excellent. When moving, with the flip up and over, it is still very good, especially the volume increase as outside noise increases. Can't have the cardo at full volume even with the plugs in
The 40mm supplied with the Edge are very good
You get some more audio tweaks via the app
The radio function is either crap or can't work it properly
Phone calls are clear and people aren't aware I am on the bike even with the chin bar open
I went from Packtalk to Edge earlier this year and I'm sure the audio quality increased. Better bluetooth with the Edge
With the Packtalk, if I walked around the bike the connection was lost, sometimes even turning my head to the left (unit is on left side) would make the connection falter
With the Edge, I can get back into the house and halfway down the hall with the bike on the drive before the connection starts to get lost
The magnetic connection is very good once you get used to the release, and 3000 miles later, it hasn't fallen off (hope that's not the kiss of death)

The other consideration is that the Cardo is fully waterproof. The battery is the weak point for me, 2 Packtalks have lost battery capacity over 3 years each as they get used a lot. The Edge now has 3 years warranty

https://www.pama.com/cardo/faq/

Again thanks for taking time to post.
I had the first edition of Packtalk and the battery died after 11 months.
Replaced under warranty then sold.

2nd Packtalk had a battery replacement within it's 1st year, fine after that, but you do notice the slow decline in how long it lasts as it gets past the 2 year warranty. Battery is not replaceable
Had the Cardos from Sportsbikeshop and they got the replacement through within a week via Pama, the UK distributors
2 of the lads I go abroad with do a half of the mileage I do and their Packtalks from 2019 are still going but get the low battery warning about mid afternoon so they stick them on a powerbank for a boost at lunchtime
I've never used another brand so cannot compare

Picked up my EVO S.
It’s snug but seems comfy. Quality ain’t exactly Neotec standards for the ratchets and locking mechanism etc but it’s plush and cost me 25% what a new Neotec does .
Hopefully wifey’s will fit and then I’ll probably order the Packtalk Edge Duo.
Silly question -the speaker recesses are filled with a thick foam circle which are stuck in .
Similar in Neotec but they just pull out. These are glued,so if you didn’t need to make the recess wider for the JBLs, are you supposed to place the speakers on top of the foam circles or pull them out ? They seem quite thick so the speakers will sit quite far in, though I think the JBLs in the Cardo kit come with a filler piece.
Does that make sense ? Ta

I have a Cardo edge on my Scorpion flip up, fitting was a bit tricky as it has a flap/cover on the left side meant for Scorpions evo own headset.
someone told me they was shit, so i used silicone to glue it shut and fit the cardo over it.

Great headset, but don't buy it for the vocal instructions, they don't work.
Once i got used to which buttons to press its fantastic.

Yes, the Cardo speakers have extra pads that bring them nearer your ears. You might have to experiment with speaker position. I fitted mine then played music while moving helmet up /down etc to find loudest position.
Barnoe, check that voice comands are enabled in app. (I seem to remember a selection for on off)
My voice comands work fine.
EDIT.Found it............Settings,.....Audio settings.......Voice control (on/off selection)

Last edited:
Picked up my EVO S.
It’s snug but seems comfy. Quality ain’t exactly Neotec standards for the ratchets and locking mechanism etc but it’s plush and cost me 25% what a new Neotec does .
Hopefully wifey’s will fit and then I’ll probably order the Packtalk Edge Duo.
Silly question -the speaker recesses are filled with a thick foam circle which are stuck in .
Similar in Neotec but they just pull out. These are glued,so if you didn’t need to make the recess wider for the JBLs, are you supposed to place the speakers on top of the foam circles or pull them out ? They seem quite thick so the speakers will sit quite far in, though I think the JBLs in the Cardo kit come with a filler piece.
Does that make sense ? Ta
The Shark Evo GT's have a pull out insert, same material as the shell. Under these are a thin velcro patch that pull off, it's lightly glued
The Cardo does come with a pair of femaile / male velcro cushions to fill in any recess too deep or to get the speakers closer to your ears
The depth of the recess on the GT is too shallow for the JBL speakers for me and they were pressing on my ear, hence the digging out
If you do have to dig out, the smoothing of the flat surface inside the recess with gentle pressure of a wide flat blade makes the surface easier to stick to. After dremmeling it is a little rough, just difficult to get a smooth finsih at the angles and thats with a flexible extension which is easier to get inside the helmet
Similar to this
https://www.amazon.co.uk/Universal-...xt&ref_=fplfs&psc=1&smid=A1R9OXPW2NSQ83&nis=7
In reality the deepening is only a couple of mils. The cardo speakers have a solid edge then the sponge cover is lightly wider. I found that if the solid edges were flush then the sponge was fine on my ears.
You can try the helmet back on with the speakers just in without the velcro as you go along to see if they are good or are putting pressure. As they will be where they need to be even without the lining back in
1st time I did this I thought I had them sorted. An hour into a ride the little pressure on the top of my ears was horrendous, but felt fine when I set off

The quality of the Shark GT is good, not arai or Shoei, but I like that the chin bar goes right back. I really do like the open face, and yes, before any one tells me I do realise that I may one day grind my chin off. The helemet is approved both with the chin bar closed and open

It is at a price point that suits me. Tried the LS2 Valiant and it wasn't a good fit for me in the closed position

Back
Top Bottom