Düsseldorf to Villach Overnight Train

ymfb

Well-known member
UKGSer Subscriber
Joined
Jun 8, 2012
Messages
7,115
Reaction score
429
Location
Salisbury
We have previously used the Dusseldorf to Innsbruck Nightjet service, but not since 2019.

Has anyone used it recently? Who did you book with ?

I’ve emailed train4you.de to enquire about September 2027, but that’s not who we used previously.

My initial thoughts are Chunnel, Dusseldorf, Villach, few days r & r in Croatia, ferry to Italy, San Sebastián few days r & r ferry to Plymouth or Pompey.
 
I have never taken the overnight motorail trains in Europe, but it certainly seems to be a possible]y sensible alternative to riding / driving. Yous looks like a good jaunt.

The Nightjet website says that it’s taking 2027 bookings:

 
Last edited:
I have never taken the overnight motorail trains in Europe, but it certainly seems to be a possible]y sensible alternative to riding / driving. Yous looks like a good jaunt.

The Nightjet website says that it’s taking 2027 bookings:

Used to great, with loads of options, but sadly most have now been discontinued. Used to be able to get on the Eurotunnel on Friday morning and be in Slovenia by Saturday morning.

Did need to duck your head though - my first trip on my first 1200GS, I remember watching people take off their tank bag and fold their screen down as far as possible. I wondered why, till I saw the train! The tank bag comes off as that's where your head need to go!
 
I did it 2 weeks ago, Dusseldorf to Villach.

Urlaubs express is the company... Austrian I believe. Booking is odd, you pay by BACS with a IBAN and you get no confirmation... All seems dodgy but it works.

Loading is a bitch, chin on the tank effort and I still clattered the helmet on the level above.

No showers onboard, no food... But there is a bar service. Me and a mate shared a 4 bed compartment, 2 bikes and it came to 1000euro 1 way. Bloody expensive... But you do 1300km overnight.

If you're camping take your sleeping mat on with you... Bunks are hard. Earplugs and some sleeping tablets required if you want a decent kip as the rolling stick is ancient and it's noisy and very rough and bumpy.

It's pretty shit, but I'd probably do it again if heading to Croatia/Serbia/Romania etc as it saves 2-3 days slog and the associated hotels and tyre wear.
 
We have previously used the sleeper train, so familiar with the loading/unloading. The first time I had to remove my screen!

The second time we walked to the main station and bought food & drink to see us through to Innsbruck. We will repeat that process.

Tonight I booked us with Urlaubs express and they have confirmed our booking. I can pay using the IBAN via my Revolut card.

Thanks to everyone who helped
 


Back
Top Bottom