Dead again!! - Take your pick as to the reason why???

Santa-2512

Omnipotent one
UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
It's got to be cursed.

I thought friday builds were the preserve of the brit's, but apparantly not, as my cursed lump is trying to prove.

The weather has been crap for the last 12 hrs - rain and stong winds.

Started the bike this morning and it positivly leapt into life a little lumpy , but settled with a quick blip of throttle

The run to work was initially uneventfull (apart from the wind!!)

But as i got closer to work 6 miles or so, i nothiced the tickover was dropping ..

As i pulled into work and dropped it into 1st to filter into the bike parking i pulled in the clutch and it just stopped.

i went to restart and it was hunting and spluttery / lumpy and promptly stalled.

I tried to restart it but then it gave the old slow starter effect ..... FFS

So at the moment its in the car park in what state i do not know ....

With god knows what fault. ..

any ideas... and yes petrol and matches have been considered!

If, it was a horse; you'd shoot it.

Hall effect pickup ?

Something is getting warm and then failing.

I'd run an extra earth strap from starter body directly to battery, had a similarish problem with a 105E and it cured it.

Sent from my GT-N7105 using Tapatalk

Is it ok after cooling down? If you can, try and jump start it. If it starts and idles ok then battery and/or charging rate is next check, would explain the poor running as well. Always start with the simple stuff loose wires to battery, earth and so on. If you can get it spinning over at reasonable speed and still no start. Then likely be an electronics problem TPS, fuelpump relay, and so on. You often get some sort of dash warning light and bike would still spin over.
I have a 09 GS that has had 3 batteries in 4 years, bike seemed to just kill'em. Changer to a Harley battery ( as recommended on here) and did a full check and clean on wires from Alternator,starter,relays and main ECU pins etc. Did starter lock draw test, charging rate, everything. Been ok for last 12 months even stood for a month, which it wouldn't do without being on charge.

But I think the main reason is I got one of theses https://www.amazon.co.uk/Compact-Portable-Advanced-Protection-Flashlight/dp/B011U6Q0K6 Never needed it on the bike but started my car with it a couple of times:D

Sounds like a fuelling issue. Fuel pump controller on the way out perhaps ?

If it wasn't for bad luck, you'd have no luck at all. Hope you sort it and get to enjoy it.

Right,

I'm home and the pile of yellow turd is sulking on the hardstanding.

Came out of work and tried to start it.

It started, but wasnt right. lumpy tickover and not responsive to the throttle.

Id open the throttle, take the revs to 3k and shut the throttle, and the revs would stay at 3k then gradually drop.

Almost knackered fly by wire, but it's not FBW

Anyway it sounded rough, almost as if it was only running on 2 or 3 plugs . every now and then you could feel a

missed cycle .. i rode it home, keeping the revs well up in 1st and 2nd.

Sounded like a chav on a 2 stroke blipping the throttle to keep the revs up ..

As i got nearer home and started to drop to 20-30mph, it felt very low on revs,almost to stall requireing me to give it handfulls of revs.

Yet 3 mins later when i put it on the sidestand it was smooth, but when you bliped the throttle it feelt like it wanted

to cough / stall. but picked up and was fine.

So Gs911 hooked up and codes run ....... Feck all not a sodding thing... gives me no end of confidence! :(

So i started it up and ran the live logging ... seemed ok, but dropped connection somewhen so i did it again ..

It ran fine, the only thing i can see all temps ok, lambda values cycling, the only one that i'm not sure of is a

step value that moves with the throttle, at one stage it hit zero, and i thought the bike might stall, but it didnt. .

Ran the bike till it was very hot, turned of and went to restart. it wheezed and i got the slow starter syndrome, but

it span up and started

So with the absecnce of any fault codes, i'm a bit at a loss.

My confidence in the bike is at an all time low, i cant even rely on it to get me six miles down the road lol .

Every noise is another potential problem, or breakdown with odd symptoms.

seriously considering offloading it at a loss for something a bit more relaible.

You did say something interesting there " got bike home put on side stand and it ran better" or words to that effect. Could it be the side stand switch? JJH

You did say something interesting there " got bike home put on side stand and it ran better" or words to that effect. Could it be the side stand switch? JJH

I did the GS911 diagnostics on the sidestand switch last weekend, it showed no errors and the switch working fine.

My observation was more of the running rough almost stalling, get home and stop, leave it on the sidestand, where it should stall given the revs were so low and

the fecker runs perfectly.

Right let it cool down,

Removed every plug i could easily get to on the engine, contact cleaned, and silicone greased them and reassembled.

I didnt touch the coils on either pot upper or lower .

Turned the key, pressed the tit, and it span up and ran as sweet as anything.

No hesitation, crisp snappy throttle .. baffled???

it's so annoying, if i had a fault that was repeatable, or a fault code i could work from, i would have some where to

start.

And before any bright spark chips in that the roadside is a good place to start can do one! :D

Arghhhhh

:blast:blast

Marty Flip the fuel cap up and look at the rim around the tank top edge

there should be a small hole about 1.5mm in diameter This is for the rain water to drain from the tank filler area if its blocked the water can run into teh tank when you lift the lid to refill

No idea? wouldnt know where to look or start lol

Go set it up again If it starts spluttering? Water could well be the culprit

If it does splutter bung it in the side stand again quickly and see if it clears ????

Marty Flip the fuel cap up and look at the rim around the tank top edge

there should be a small hole about 1.5mm in diameter This is for the rain water to drain from the tank filler area if its blocked the water can run into teh tank when you lift the lid to refill

Go set it up again If it starts spluttering? Water could well be the culprit

If it does splutter bung it in the side stand again quickly and see if it clears ????

Cheer's

i'll have a go tommorow

You could try some Wynns dryfuel or Silkolene Pro FST to help clear water from the fuel tank.

Another suspicion is the throttle position sensor, which can be tested using your GS911.

Try and Syphon some fuel out of the bottom of the tank (bit of a pain with a GS) and put it in a jar - you'll be able to see water.

I had the blocked filler neck drain thing with my 1100. Rodding it out with strimmer cord sorted it out after which I siphoned all the fuel I could out and, refilled Iran's bungee a bottle of Wynns Dry Fuel in.

The pump sucks from the tank bottom so you could maybe rig up a pipe from the pump outlet hose. Ideally, it needs a hose connector.

Faulty coils do not directly show on the 911 readout, but your other symptoms don't really support them as being part of the problem. However, water in wiring connectors especially the O2 sensors can cause strange running issues. Incorrect signals will make it run rough but might not be far enough "out" to show as faults.

Hooked up the 911 this morning and ran to work logging data

Typical, when being scruitinised it ran faultlessy. I will downloads the logs and look later _ assuming Hexwhatnot plays ball,

i opened the tank this morning, dry as a bone, and no evidence of recent water i did however note, there was evidence of rusty water near the drain hole

I will see if i can rod it later.

I will thow some dry fuel or similar though, as well as some injector cleaner.

I suppose it's a case of see how it goes for now

Mart

Bung in 1L of methylated spirits to 15L of fuel, water molecules will bond with it and it also gives slight increase in octane rating too.

A friend is a retired industrial chemist, and despite being a total cynic, his advice worked on my Triumph

Bung in 1L of methylated spirits to 15L of fuel, water molecules will bond with it and it also gives slight increase in octane rating too.

A friend is a retired industrial chemist, and despite being a total cynic, his advice worked on my Triumph

Just done some research . Using E10 fuel will do the same ;) the E is Ethanol, the main constituant of Meths..

That said you need to find anywhere selling E10

Cheers :)

Mart

Back
Top Bottom