Do you run the recommendation tyre pressures when riding solo?

Scarfall

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
The manual on my 2015 R1200GS says to use 36 and 42 psi for both solo riding and two-up riding.

On my Anakee Adventure tyres, and weighing at 72kg, these tyre pressures feel really harsh. I've got Tractive front and rear shocks dialed in to my weight, and ESA damping set to Normal and ESA preload set to "1 helmet" . I quite like riding at 32 and 36, I can't feel any road imperfections and bumps don't lift my ass off the seat. However, a BMW mechanic told me that at these pressures the rims can get damaged, the tyres wear out faster, and my insurance may be invalid as I'm not keeping the bike roadworthy.

What pressures do you guys use when riding solo?

I was told that the tyre pressures on my 2011 gsa should be 2.5 f & 2.9 r in bar but the owners handbook states 2.2f & 2.5 rose anywhere between those for solo should be okay ,and as you say the lower pressures seem to soften the bumps a bit .

and my insurance may be invalid as I'm not keeping the bike roadworthy.
Pretty sure they'd need to have built a strong case for lower pressures being responsible for the incident.

I use what the book says - 2.5 & 2.9

Many tyre companies have recommended pressure on their websites. Use their recommended pressure especially if using none OE tyres.

Sent from my backyard

36 42 for road use regardless of luggage etc etc etc.

Never had a drama

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2.2/2.2 on Annakee Wilds.
2.4/2.4 keeps the computer happier though.
oRS run at 2.4/2.4 on Karoo’s as that’s what Metzeler specify.

I run the pressures that feel right for me !

I know the industry standard is 36/42 these days for most bikes ( at least thats what it seems ) but for certain unsprung weight or is it sprung weight makes a difference I>E big heavy bike with big fat bastard riding it then more pressure light bike light bloke = less pressure.

Different tyres will need different pressures as well i suspect -
My bike is recomended at 36 rear 35 front but i find a pound less at both ends is better and if it were a track day then i suspect it would be a whole lot less maybe 25psi in the rear

Metzler used to have a chart for different bikes and the different models of their tyres which sadly seems to have gone now probably because it was too complex to maintain

ffs

if you really think that the quoted tyre pressures for the whole world are the same from the north pole to the south pole through the equatior, then you need to give your bumps a rub and your head a wobble

they cannot possible be

you just need a litlte patience to work them out

I run 39 rear and 33 front on the same year and bike as the OP, the only difference is that I have Ohlins and I’m 80kg. My riding is mainly mountain and twisty. I think that the slightly lower pressure helps give me a little better grip.

The manual on my 2015 R1200GS says to use 36 and 42 psi for both solo riding and two-up riding.

On my Anakee Adventure tyres, and weighing at 72kg, these tyre pressures feel really harsh. I've got Tractive front and rear shocks dialed in to my weight, and ESA damping set to Normal and ESA preload set to "1 helmet" . I quite like riding at 32 and 36, I can't feel any road imperfections and bumps don't lift my ass off the seat. However, a BMW mechanic told me that at these pressures the rims can get damaged, the tyres wear out faster, and my insurance may be invalid as I'm not keeping the bike roadworthy.

What pressures do you guys use when riding solo?
Check the tyre manufacturers website not the bike Manual!

A few PSI lower may make it ride better

10 psi would probably be too much unless they are something like Heidenau K60 Scouts which have bloody stout sidewalls

Oh and P.S. The BMW Mech is not riding your bike in your style and sounds like a modern by the book parts changing Monkey as per what the computer says and NOT someone who actually has the ability to actually Diagnose an issue!!

SO I doubt I would give much creedence to that advice

And as for insurers ?? Would you ride something on the road that was NOT in roadworthy condition??

My sis is in hospital in leeds just now after her Crosstourer suffered a rear puncture/blowout on the A1M on Thursday afternoon

I very much doubt that the Insurance will be asking her what her tyre pressure was just prior to the incident!

Last edited:
On my TC GSA, front 33psi rear 38psi seem to suit it well for my type of riding, back lanes and minor roads with a few faster A roads now and then.

Back
Top Bottom