eye opening - tyres on GSA - just WOW !

Botus, I don’t mean to offend and I apologise in advance because I’m fairly sure my comments will do just that. But your ‘report’ comes across as the ramblings of a theorist who is convinced of their own expertise, but it doesn’t bear comparison with the real world experiences of many everyday users. As a competent and knowledgeable contributor mentioned in another thread very recently, tyre technology is such nowadays that you simply cannot buy a ‘bad’ tyre but you describe some as ‘dangerous’

I think that you may be in danger of losing your credibility buddy.

Botus, I don’t mean to offend and I apologise in advance because I’m fairly sure my comments will do just that. But your ‘report’ comes across as the ramblings of a theorist who is convinced of their own expertise, but it doesn’t bear comparison with the real world experiences of many everyday users. As a competent and knowledgeable contributor mentioned in another thread very recently, tyre technology is such nowadays that you simply cannot buy a ‘bad’ tyre but you describe some as ‘dangerous’

I think that you may be in danger of losing your credibility buddy.
Very eloquently put, I just thought WTF is this f*****t on about!

Al.

It's a great work of fantasy with a hint of implausible deniability.
I'm on my 4th Hexhead and have also had an LC for 3 years. Probably only 100,000 miles though; barely turned out of my driveway. I once wondered why my mpg was dropping, after a few tank fulls; couldn't figure it. Then I found I had been commuting for weeks with 10psi in the back tyre! Bike ran/handled really well! But better when the puncture was fixed (pre TPMS days). I always fitted Tourance, and will continue to do so.

Post #60 is entirely accurate - I am not offering any advice or analysis on other makes of tyres or if any others brands and types of tyres suit the GS

its just valuable info on the abilities and suitability of three dunlop's and two bridgestones tyre designs out there - if you feel you disagree on any point - you are just mistaken - be as offended as u want...

I think the problem with our “expert” is that they confuse facts with opinions.
I will say that I’ve done 2000miles on A41’s- dry roads and wet roads (biblical rain in Scotland) one and two up, with and without luggage. Two up, pissing down, fully loaded and the Connected app told me lean angles of 30 degrees were commonplace. At no point did I ever doubt the tyre. Now the important bit…! What I’ve just said are “facts”. Nowhere have I said the A41’s are “great” or “confidence inspiring” or any other OPINION. Just that I was able to ride well while they were on the bike.
There are many reasons, as we all know, for bikes to “misbehave” to the extent described by our poster. Those are his “facts”- the behaviour of the bike. He confuses his opinions as to why with those facts. I’m sure the poorer riders would look at their own rider inputs last, whereas the more introspective, and competent, of us consider this first. This is how you improve. Bad workman blames…?
Anyway, I’ve ridden at all sorts of speeds, on all sorts of bikes, in all sorts of weather. I adapted my riding style. No issues.

It’s a trail adventure styled bike
Just use trail biased tyres like Tourance or Trail attacks etc
Road biased tyres have no business on a trail adventure bike anyway
Just feeling mischievous - I've got knobblies on the wire wheels that came with my 1250 Rallye - and I bought a set of casties second-hand, and put Dunlop Sportsmart TTs on those for trackdays. I'm old and fat and never raced, but I was well inside a minute at Brands Indy the other day. Sticky tyres definitely have business on GSs, and that business is causing trouble in inters, with a 52 degree lean angle, the ABS on into and the TC on out of every bend.

Just fitted some Dunlop Traolmax Meridians on my Norden , early days as iv3 only been on one ride but they are noticeably better on road than The Scorpion Rally STRs fitted as standard.

and I bought a set of casties second-hand, and put Dunlop Sportsmart TTs on those for trackdays.
I'm old-ish and definitely fat :D , and definitely slow as well, but also with less engine power (mine is an hexhead) I've used Dunlop Trailsmarts too on track (both dry and wet) and had a lot of fun.

I think the problem with our “expert” is that they confuse facts with opinions.
I will say that I’ve done 2000miles on A41’s- dry roads and wet roads (biblical rain in Scotland) one and two up, with and without luggage. Two up, pissing down, fully loaded and the Connected app told me lean angles of 30 degrees were commonplace. At no point did I ever doubt the tyre. Now the important bit…! What I’ve just said are “facts”. Nowhere have I said the A41’s are “great” or “confidence inspiring” or any other OPINION. Just that I was able to ride well while they were on the bike.
There are many reasons, as we all know, for bikes to “misbehave” to the extent described by our poster. Those are his “facts”- the behaviour of the bike. He confuses his opinions as to why with those facts. I’m sure the poorer riders would look at their own rider inputs last, whereas the more introspective, and competent, of us consider this first. This is how you improve. Bad workman blames…?
Anyway, I’ve ridden at all sorts of speeds, on all sorts of bikes, in all sorts of weather. I adapted my riding style. No issues.

I took off the hideous, dangerous and wayward A41 and fitted the Dunlop Trailsmart meridian, the difference is staggering - one should be allowed on a bike, and the Bridgestone should be destroyed and the manufacturer and development team of the Bridgestone's should be put in jail forever, FACT !

So radio silence for a while - been playing musical chairs with tyres....

Do not buy a Dunlop Road Smart 4 Front Tyre for a GS, (whilst clear its meant for the LC bikes), Bridgestone list the 120 / 70 size for all GS variants and a some areas on the Dunlop site doesn't add clarity - either way on the Air-cooled bikes this RS4 tyre is not a good idea - not Bridgestone horrible - but not safe, not nice, not a good idea.

Started out with 2.2 bar and it was very similar to the Bridgestone's tucked in and washed out, wanted to run wide, didn't want to turn, causes the fork flex syndrome if you try to ride fast. Moved to 2.6 bar and got wins in some areas and bigger losses in others. Was going to take it off after 10 miles as unsuitable. Decided to try 2.8 bar and in some areas it starts to behave like a tyre (at high speed behaves closer to a Road Smart 3), but in others its seriously unpleasant. Then as about to take it off thought well the Bridgestone started to get sensible with low pressure, what happens on this tyre - and - a transformation at 1.9 bar - if you ride slow you might be perfectly happy, and I started to trust it would work riding slowly, but its missing 40% of the bikes capability.

Then got a total shock that was hard to comprehend - Having begun to work how to ride slow, to get around the failings of the RS4 and the telelever issues - I got back on the bike with the Bridgestones and it was so bad and utterly unsafe I questioned why I thought the Dunlop RS4 was ever a problem !!! I don't mind who I offend - if you think the Bridgestone A41s on a GS are OK - you should park the bike and tear up your driving license you have no right to get on a bike and risk everyone else's safety. Both the BT23 and the A41 tyres are a disgusting, dangerous mess that shouldn't be allowed on public roads

Spoke with Dunlop to express concern re the RS4 and they recco the Dunlop Trailmax Meridians - looking at photos it looks like a very sporty tyre for something that is meant as dual use. So I now have these tyres on the GSA and they work very well. They are not even close to the utter mess you get from Bridgestone - These Dunlop's feel like real tyres and work very well with GS.

before I got these Dunlop Meridian's on the bike, I played musical chairs with the other one and tried the Road Smart 3 in 120 / 70 / 19 size on the GSA, and all was good. I didn't have the TPMS working so had gone with the pressures it had (which I now find was 2.4 bar - a bit lower than I usually run)

So results of back to back rides (with slightly sub-optimal pressures) on the tyre I recco and the tyres Dunlop recco.

Dunlop RS3 120 / 70 / 19 @2.4 bar
ESA Single rider - Comfort : worked well, felt normal, bike became a GS rather than a hopeless disaster

EAS Single rider + Luggage - Sport mode : Ride it like you stole it - felt like my other GS - massively faster. Safe composed and sensible - able to take entire sections of road plus 30mph above risking life and limb trying to ride with those deadly Bridgestone's. First time in a month actually enjoyed any ride since buying this GSA - Ride it like you stole it and smile as you get faster and faster !!!

Dunlop Trailmax Meridian 110 / 80 / 19 @2.6 bar
ESA Single rider - Comfort : worked well, felt normal, bike became a GS rather than a disaster, flexi fork syndrome not there and steering weight felt like it was by grown ups
ESA Single rider - Normal : not quite as happy, felt OK, but slightly odd at times (same issue on the RS3 - might play with pressures but on comfort and sport it goes away)
ESA Single rider - Sport : worked well, didn't feel sporty or stiff just slightly happier

EAS Single rider + Luggage - Comfort : OK feels normal, probably better than anyone here needs
EAS Single rider + Luggage - Normal : Same issue, not sure what BMW did but "normal" isn't - comfort and sport work - this mode is slightly nastier and inconsistent everywhere
EAS Single rider + Luggage - Sport : Feels good - Ride it like you stole it - this is a much better set up for the GSA - felt a lot like my other GS on RS3's - massively more capable. safe composed, sensible and fun. Pressing on at high speed I think its slightly less able than the RS3, the steering weights up and you have to take a more gentle approach to throwing it around - at 80mph plus, I felt steering was much heavier than the RS3s thus starts you heading towards the flexi fork situation - unless you slow down and change to a slower riding style. Will have a play with pressures on both and see where I end up - Pleasantly surprised these things are much better than I expected. - I could live with these.
Why dont you do a video of your testing showing us the ondoard view of the results you are getting

I took off the hideous, dangerous and wayward A41 and fitted the Dunlop Trailsmart meridian, the difference is staggering - one should be allowed on a bike, and the Bridgestone should be destroyed and the manufacturer and development team of the Bridgestone's should be put in jail forever, FACT !
I’m sure that did indeed happen. I once rode an R1200RT across a ploughed field at speed (BT020s). I wish I had knobblies on… but didn’t bemoan the tyres 😂👍

I put 2 bits of blue circle cement on instead of tyres and they were ok.

Do I win a prize.

Goodness me what a load of old cobblers in the main.

KMD has it bang on.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I put 2 bits of blue circle cement on instead of tyres and they were ok.

Do I win a prize.

Goodness me what a load of old cobblers in the main.

KMD has it bang on.

Had to look back for the KMD post but yes, bang on. Did you manage a wheelie or knee down with the cement tyres btw? 😂👍

No I was being gentle for the first 100 miles.

Embracing my newly found Fred Flintstone status.

I don’t have the legendary tyre assessment skills of others sadly.

FACT, no it ain't, it's your opinion

Good to know that the UKGS instant expert ticket extends to being better than Bridgestone test riders

My best mate is on his 3rd set of A41s on his R12GS and he’s happy as Larry with them. He can run rings around me on the road when he wants to ……..even on really dangerous , lethal , shit tyres. Ergo my riding must be even more shit than A41s.

We are spending 6 days riding around Scotland this weekend so we’ll see if the excellent Meridian’s make up for my really shit riding . 😁

Back
Top Bottom