F650GS Funduro 2001 ABS Will Not Start

PaulRf650gs

Reaction score
Hi Everyone, I know that there has been a lot of discussion on this topic but my scenario is as follows.
My F650GS fell over and would not start so I left it for a couple of years, but am now having another try.
New Battery, New iridium spark plug.
The mechanic advises that we have spark, fuel injection is good, there is good compression.
The cut-off switch broke when it fell over to the wires have been fused together.
The dash flickers at times when turning on - I believe that the capacitor [47uF 16V] needs replacing.
The ECU reset has been done by disconnecting both terminals overnight & terminals are connected again tightly.
When attempting to start the bike, It cranks over fine but will not fire up.
Mechanic believes it is an electrical issue.
This links has been very useful.
Any advice would be appreciated - Thanks

I feel your pain-
In no order just ideas
Get a new mechanic for a start!
Then it is a process of elimination once you are SURE any test / repair is OK - then you move to the next thing
If it gets air and fuel and spark it should start
Check your fuses - don't ask how I know that one 😇

New iridium spark- have you tested it and SEEN it spark when placed against the bike ( do not hold it in your hand!)

When you turn the key, can you hear the fuel pump priming? could be seized.
Have you unplugged fuel line to fuel injector and placed hose inside bottle WELL AWAY
FROM ANY NAKED FLAMES?
did the fuel squirt out steadily?
Have you replaced the fuel filter?
Have you replaced the old fuel for fresh?
Take the right hand panel off and remove the air filter you can then get to the top of the throttle body through the air box,
small syringe squirt in a bit of fuel -try starting and keep your head back.. did the engine start ?

Check side stand switch which could be corroded/broken

You say cut off switch ( kill switch?) fused together- check connection is good with 12v each side

Check rectifier

Check throttle valve- could be stuck

Air filter ok? air box free of oil?

TPS- you say you have done a reset by leaving power off but you then need to reset throttle-
ign=on, neutral, do not touch starter, turn gently throttle to max then gently return - do twice then turn off ignition.
Some say this is a myth- costs nothing to try-

Might be worth checking with a GS911 and seeing what error codes you have.

Last edited:
Does this model have a decompressor if so is it stuck open

Hi Everyone, I know that there has been a lot of discussion on this topic but my scenario is as follows.
My F650GS fell over and would not start so I left it for a couple of years, but am now having another try.
New Battery, New iridium spark plug.
The mechanic advises that we have spark, fuel injection is good, there is good compression.

Any advice would be appreciated - Thanks
What else happened if anything when it fell over?

If all of the above Compression Spark Fuel etc are there and the mechanic has checked the cam timing??

Remove the airbox assembly

Disconnect the injector

Switch on the ignition and kill switch and twist the throttle grip open 4 mm and spin it over and give it a SNIFF or ether into the throttle body from an aerosol can of easy start Note the SNIFF of ether

What that will tell you if it runs is if the fuel circuit is "dead" or not?

Fix the things that are broken and it may well be something as simple as Fuel is Dead, Water in the system, Fuel pressure not enough etc etc

BTW-
IF that bike actually is a 2001 then it is not a funduro but a GS 650 with fuel injection. The funduro was carb.
Good luck find DrF's ether- restricted sales to medics only but Easystart will work.
Clutch switch?
If it is the Brain (BMS-C under the seat, that silver box next to fuel tank) I have one FS which was my spare for my F650 2002 single spark.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom