Fat 32 or NTFS and no I don't want Linux

richie

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
Allihies again.. but off to Asia soon....
My Centrino portable PC is using FAT 32.

Would it be a problem to convert it to NTFS which is surly superior, and would I have to reinstall things to do this.

Does it need to be completely formatted etc to achieve the NTFS system.

It a Centrino 1,4 512 meg of ram 40 gigabytes hard disk. Bla Bla Bla, by the way it works fine, I'm just interested and have never done this before...

You can convert the file system without reformatting or re-installing. However it is a oneway street and you can't go back without a reformat. Unless you have security issues I would not bother but the conversion can be made from the run command and is:

convert "driveletter" / fs:ntfs

BlackBetty said:
You can convert the file system without reformatting or re-installing. However it is a oneway street and you can't go back without a reformat. Unless you have security issues I would not bother but the conversion can be made from the run command and is:

convert "driveletter" / fs:ntfs
.......in theory..........

Might well work but FFS back EVERYTHING up first....

Personally I'd do a full backup to CD then do a full clean reformat......that way, you'll start with a clean new Windoze install anyway.......it's always faster even if you maintain a tidy system...I tend to reformat mine once a year regardless of the 'need'.

the proper way to do it..

so the master file table does not end up all over the place:

de-frag drive

create a blank placeholder file for the Master File Table (MFT) . open command window & type:

fsutil file createnew c:\placeholder.txt <size>

where <size> is the size of file in bytes. this should be 12.5% of total size of partition.
it will tell you file is created, it's not, it's still being created cos it's so big. wait until HDD LED goes out.

now run convert & tell it to use the placeholder file for the MFT:

convert c: /fs:nfts /cvtarea:placeholder.txt

you'll get messages talking about dismounting volume etc. saying it can't do job without re-booting. let it. plough on.

i've done it that way. it worked for me.

personally i think NTFS is superior for reliability, also if you want some of the features in xp pro to work (encryption).

is it worth the effort/risk? dunno :confused:

And while you're at it add a partition so you can defrag in stages afterwards, whilst still working ...makes life a lot easier.......

Back
Top Bottom