Garmin is shite. Get it off your chest here.

JB, by his own admission, hasn’t really started to use his XT. Quite why he bought it (other than it was priced as a bargain) remains a mystery.

If the post code or address look-up really does not function, return the device and obtain a refund or replacement.

It might help if you gave the genuine post code here, so that others could see if their device will find it. Likewise the address. My daughter’s post code (it’s a nine month old new build) took several months to get onto the Post Office database. It is still not on Amazon’s nor on several other look-ups.

Last edited:
And even the new "modified" Nav VI units are failing still. Must have cost Garmin huge.
had mine weather sealed and upgraded by a company in germany, works perfect

JB, by his own admission, hasn’t really started to use his XT. Quite why he bought it (other than it was priced as a bargain) remains a mystery.

If the post code or address look-up really does not function, return the device and obtain a refund or replacement.

It might help if you gave the genuine post code here, so that others could see if their device will find it. Likewise the address. My daughter’s post code (it’s a nine month old new build) took several months to get onto the Post Office database. It is still not on Amazon’s nor on several other look-ups.
Not sure when you start using a Satnav? Surely if you fit it and start hitting the buttons you’re using it?

As for returning the device I might if I could find the receipt or remember where and when I bought it. On the other hand surely its got to be a software thing so could I not delete that and then reinstall? I confess I haven't tried yet because it’s near the bottom of my priority list.

Postcodes? PE22 7AW and NGY 2PT were the most recent. A bubble car museum and a bike dealer. Have fun. I’m told the bubble car museum is worth a visit. I changed plans half way and went elsewhere.

NGY 2PT? Odd sort of code?

I don’t have either of my XT’s to hand but I’m sure someone will give it a go on theirs.

JB’s seemed to sit around in a box for a long time. There was a post, not so long ago, that said he’d used it for the first time, on some bimble around. That, as opposed to regular, hands-on every day stuff.

NGY 2PT is not a valid post code.

PE22 7AW comes up as Langrick near Boston. :thumb2

Latest software and mapping on my XT

Last edited:
I have a theory about the postcode issue. Like Wilbjr says NGY 2PT is an invalid postcode, but PE22 7AW obviously is valid. I just did a little video as I wonder if this explains it. Did catch me off guard at first as it's been probably 18 months since I put a postcode into the Zumo, I tend to use GPS coordinates and shove them into Garmin Explore so it's more precise to where I wanna be. Anyway, here's the video (excuse my stammery boring voice).

Basically, it's an RTFM moment (and I apply that to myself as well)

I do it that way. It never crossed my mind to do it another way. It just shows how different people’s brains work in different ways. What makes sense to one person, makes no sense to another fellow, it shows how hard it must be to design even simple software.

I find BaseCamp easy…. others don’t. Some spreadsheets I receive at work make no sense at all. To someone else, simplicity itself.

If Harry the cat, would like to submit the troublesome street address, again I’d like to think someone will have a go at it.

Last edited:
I have a theory about the postcode issue. Like Wilbjr says NGY 2PT is an invalid postcode, but PE22 7AW obviously is valid. I just did a little video as I wonder if this explains it. Did catch me off guard at first as it's been probably 18 months since I put a postcode into the Zumo, I tend to use GPS coordinates and shove them into Garmin Explore so it's more precise to where I wanna be. Anyway, here's the video (excuse my stammery boring voice).

Basically, it's an RTFM moment (and I apply that to myself as well)
Thank for that. However in my case it doesn't help. Like you I've tried putting postcodes in the simple search box and no result. Like you I then moved on to address but I don't get the same screen sequence. When I tap on address I just get a house number page and then a street or postal code page. So I have to go via house number to street/postal code but it doesn't accept the postcodes, not even my own postcode.

I've just updated the software but it's still the same.

I've owned 550 and 660's, and Magnet, my other half, has also owned several Garmin's. Never encountered this problem. What I've done in the past in extremis is get the satnav icon on the desktop, go into it, delete everything and there reinstall it. At the moment for some reason when I plug in the device to my Mac it doesn't show on the screen although Garmin Express does recognise it. Not sure why. Suggestion on a postcode.

harry the cat, I think things are getting confused as you are mixing two (and now more) different questions and problems into one post.

Let’s start with the simplest one, please.

Can you now, using the method shown in the video, ask your XT to reliably find and direct you to a post code? Yes or no?

Once that is out of the way, people can then start to maybe assist you with street address searches and then any other problems you might have.

Thanks,

Richard

Last edited:
Thank for that. However in my case it doesn't help. Like you I've tried putting postcodes in the simple search box and no result. Like you I then moved on to address but I don't get the same screen sequence. When I tap on address I just get a house number page and then a street or postal code page. So I have to go via house number to street/postal code but it doesn't accept the postcodes, not even my own postcode.

I've just updated the software but it's still the same.

I've owned 550 and 660's, and Magnet, my other half, has also owned several Garmin's. Never encountered this problem. What I've done in the past in extremis is get the satnav icon on the desktop, go into it, delete everything and there reinstall it. At the moment for some reason when I plug in the device to my Mac it doesn't show on the screen although Garmin Express does recognise it. Not sure why. Suggestion on a postcode.
The answer to the Mac problem is that the Garmin XT uses Android files - these aren't recognised by a Mac. I wish Apple would change this.

Garmin Express does recognise the files though when you open it.

You can download Android file transfer to look at the files on your Zumo XT - only one program can be open at a time; i.e. close Garmin Express before opening Android file Transfer or Basecamp.

As to Address search ..... Where to > Address > Enter Postcode. No need to enter House Number or Street name; just tap on the postcode displayed under the entry box and screen changes to a map with some data. Exactly as Peejay describes in his most excellent video. If that doesn't work; may I say - you may be doing something wrong ?

harry the cat, I think things are getting confused as you are mixing two (and now more) different questions and problems into one post.

Let’s start with the simplest one, please.

Can you now, using the method shown in the video, ask your XT to reliably find and direct you to a post code? Yes or no?

Once that is out of the way, people can then start to maybe assist you with street address searches and then any other problems you might have

Thanks,

Richard
I don‘t think I am. No As per my post I can’t use that methodology because the screen sequencing isn’t the same. That’s why I explained what I’m seeing on mine.

Harry what software version is your XT running and also what map version? Just so I can compare against mine. Only reason I ask is the steps you've described are very reminiscent of the BMW Navigator 6 which had some strange menu structures to it.

For reference my XT is running:

Software Version: 6.50
Maps: CN Europe NTU 2024.20

The answer to the Mac problem is that the Garmin XT uses Android files - these aren't recognised by a Mac. I wish Apple would change this.

Garmin Express does recognise the files though when you open it.

You can download Android file transfer to look at the files on your Zumo XT - only one program can be open at a time; i.e. close Garmin Express before opening Android file Transfer or Basecamp.

As to Address search ..... Where to > Address > Enter Postcode. No need to enter House Number or Street name; just tap on the postcode displayed under the entry box and screen changes to a map with some data. Exactly as Peejay describes in his most excellent video. If that doesn't work; may I say - you may be doing something wrong ?
Thanks for that. I may have a look at the Android Transfer thing.

As to address search as I’ve tried, probably badly, to explain I can’t tap the postcode under the entry box because it doesn’t appear for some reason, the entry box that is. The first thing I see is house number and on from there. It’s like I’m missing a screen in the sequence.

Thanks for that. I may have a look at the Android Transfer thing.

As to address search as I’ve tried, probably badly, to explain I can’t tap the postcode under the entry box because it doesn’t appear for some reason, the entry box that is. The first thing I see is house number and on from there. It’s like I’m missing a screen in the sequence.

Can you take a picture or pictures of what you see, please.

One quick thing to check, please: Are the full detailed maps installed and active?

Back
Top Bottom