Garmin Montana - The perfect road /off road GPS

Fair point - just connected and then ejected the 'Garmin' and 'OS Maps' from Finder. Out with the USB and it still throws up a message. I wouldn't worry about it. It's not gone wrong yet.
Aside of that - have you got the latest software on the Montana? Easiest to use is Garmin Express.

I fear that I may have to start looking at a new GPS unit as my trusty 2610 has started playing up - it shut's down for no apparent reason. So far it has always restarted, but my worry is that one day it won't. Pity really because it's only 7yrs old and I must admit I do like it. :( When it does eventually get replaced, it's going to get a good clean, and is going on my bookcase. :thumb2

I do have a question though; do these new units have maps for life? I think the maps on my 2610 are about 5 yrs old, but I can't update them anymore as Garmin won't support it apparently. I know there are unofficial maps, but with its dependability now in question perhaps it's time to start thinking of a replacement.

Depends which maps you put on it. The Montanas have the usual base map and whatever you specify.
I have a Zumo on the bike with CN maps that I paid lifetime updates for.
The Montana goes on another mount on the two bikes and also the mountain bike or in the pocket. The one I bought came with OS maps on a micro SD card you slot in like in a phone. I also bought a topo map of Europe from a German guy. Again on a microSD card. The Europe maps have hotels, shops Etc. that the OS map doesn't have but it doesnt have the look of an OS map. There's no updating for the OS maps. So, okay - a major road junction may be built but it'll likely be years before that appears on an OS map you'd see online or if you bought a paper copy. Also best used north up. Otherwise it's girly mode holding the map upside down!
You could put CN maps on the Montana but it'll.not have the functionality that a Zumo 660 will. But you can't put the OS maps on the Zumo!

Ghiribizzo, thanks for the guidance. Is Garmin Express preferable to Webupdater? The Topo map of Europe to which you refer is that cheaper than the Garmin NT Europe and does it cover Turkey?

Sharik - yes, Garmin Express is easy to use. The Top map was about Euro 25.00. Yes, it does cover Turkey but it's not like Euro NT.
I'll put up a screenshot later.

You could put CN maps on the Montana but it'll.not have the functionality that a Zumo 660 will.

Sheer laziness on my part and I know, I know DYOR but what are the differences in functionality? (I've never used a 660).

Bigger screen, thinner unit in 660. Traffic updates by FM radio, Bluetooth into helmet, phone connectivity in 660 etc.
Point is - Garmin don't and won't give you a unit that does it all. If I could have had OS maps on 660 I wouldn't have a Montana.

Ghiribizzo, thanks for that screen shot, very useful, particularly with the significant price differential between the Topo maps and the Garmin NT.
Now trying to get the damned Montana working through the Autocom system via the Rugged Mount; thus far white noise.

Now trying to get the damned Montana working through the Autocom system via the Rugged Mount; thus far white noise.

My AMPS mount came with 3mm audio socket on the power lead. A short male/male lead into the Autocom (now BT transmitter) was all that was required.

J

I have an adaptor for the Rugged Mount male jack to the Autocom plug but all I hear is a deafening silence. I can listen to details by plugging headphones directly into the Montana but I require directions through the Autocom system. There is a "hissing" through the helmet speakers when hooked up, but no alerts or directions from the Montana.

The audio output from my Montana 600, via an Autocom system, is barely audible at anything above approximately 40mph. I have adjusted the earpieces to the optimum position, the Autocom is at its highest setting as is the volume control on the Montana. Does anyone know of a piece of kit that would significantly increase the volume? Preferably something that would simply plug in to the current set up. Thanks.

The audio output from my Montana 600, via an Autocom system, is barely audible at anything above approximately 40mph. I have adjusted the earpieces to the optimum position, the Autocom is at its highest setting as is the volume control on the Montana. Does anyone know of a piece of kit that would significantly increase the volume? Preferably something that would simply plug in to the current set up. Thanks.

In-ear monitors.

Improving Audio Output

With my Montana I use one of these & for the money more than adequate:
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Fiio-E5-p..._Headphones&hash=item1e578dbd58#ht_1681wt_928

Built in battery,comes with leads,nice & small

Back
Top Bottom