Gold wing Bagger

longjohn

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
What are they like as an all round bike I have an urge to buy one but don’t want to drop a clanger as it may be an expensive mistake to make, any help will be appreciated.
I saw some guys in the Alps and they were doing OK on them.

Fabulous.
Only negative is luggage capacity if two up.
I’ve fitted a Shad 58X top box and rack to mine . Toured the Picos in June and it was brilliant.

c691dcac2d05829609f2f5afcc4e7bef.jpg

e792ec00987a4ee6219c0d173b7e4c90.jpg

All day comfy . About 55 mpg . Sublime motor and DCT works great . Forward and reverse creeper gear great for manoeuvring in and out if garage etc .

Sent from my Nokia 3310 using Thetwatcantalk

Thanks they look ace I’m going to try and get a test ride this week at Stratford Honda.

I am a similar position, considering a Goldwing

Can I ask how they perform in tight twisty country lanes or around towns??

I've been following a couple of threads on here and I guess the Walk mode is selling it to me alongside the DCT....oh and the comfort....and the, well everything really haha

cheers:beerjug:

I am a similar position, considering a Goldwing

Can I ask how they perform in tight twisty country lanes or around towns??

I've been following a couple of threads on here and I guess the Walk mode is selling it to me alongside the DCT....oh and the comfort....and the, well everything really haha

cheers:beerjug:

Absolutely fine . Took mine around the Picos twisties and it was ace

I ride my Tour DCT round Hampshire/Wiltshire/Dorset lanes with my mates on their GSes etc and not a problem…handles really well

Thanks Guys, I think my mind is made and apologies to Mr Longjohn to intruding in his thread.

Oh yeah another Question, do the rider back rests really make a difference?

Don't suppose your looking to sell yours are you? I know you change bikes quite often
Fabulous.
Only negative is luggage capacity if two up.
I’ve fitted a Shad 58X top box and rack to mine . Toured the Picos in June and it was brilliant.

c691dcac2d05829609f2f5afcc4e7bef.jpg

e792ec00987a4ee6219c0d173b7e4c90.jpg

All day comfy . About 55 mpg . Sublime motor and DCT works great . Forward and reverse creeper gear great for manoeuvring in and out if garage etc .

Thanks Guys, I think my mind is made and apologies to Mr Longjohn to intruding in his thread.

Oh yeah another Question, do the rider back rests really make a difference?

Yes, surprisingly so . The mere act of leaning on the back rest a small amount relieves pressure on lower back on a long days ride.

Don't suppose your looking to sell yours are you? I know you change bikes quite often

No, sorry . Not yet anyway

They do handle a lot easier and feel lot lighter than you would believe and will amaze you how well they handle in the twisties.

Do not forget…. some seriously gnarly, grass growing in the middle (farm tracks) back roads/lanes.

I can vouch for that...i was chasing him most of the time on my Africa Twin!

They do handle a lot easier and feel lot lighter than you would believe and will amaze you how well they handle in the twisties.
I, and most everyone who rides them, agree. I think the low COG really helps in this regard.

I probably prefer the DCT but either gearbox work well. The engine is smooth and torquey with excellent heat management. Even more impressive to me is the suspension on 2018+ Wings, the big bike just glides over rough roads. Well things like cracked pavement, gravel, smaller bumps, etc., a large bump is still just that. But the same rough pavement that was jarring on a Road King feels smooth on the Goldwing. Over a 6,000 mile ride this Summer in some pretty hot weather and a fair amount of 80+ mph speed, oil consumption was zero.

The riders seat could be a little longer for me and while most bikes only require turning a key or pressing a button to lift off the seat, it's much more fiddly on this bike. I guess the main negative I have about these bikes is the work and time required to remove layers of panels to access stuff. It is crazy to require something like 5 hours $$ labour just to change the air filter every 15,000 miles. To be fair there are some other bikes just about as bad. Still I'd gladly trade the glovebox for an access panel to the air box.

Could anyone advise if I need a Honda Gold wing rear rack to fit the shad top box on or just the Shad fitting kit thanks.

Could anyone advise if I need a Honda Gold wing rear rack to fit the shad top box on or just the Shad fitting kit thanks.

Just the Shad kit

5f7d19777b5dac51e3f47d2c4e9dfab9.jpg

You’ll need to drill 4 holes in the plastic inserts , shown below roughy marked in red.

1146f9788c19f18f1b284501bdcc3a52.jpg

The places to drill are already marked on the inside of the plastic bits . Just use one of those conical drill thingies that makes circular holes of varying diameters .

Try and drill straight through, bearing in mind that the metal sleeves you place in holes will be vertical and the plastic bits are slightly at an angle, if that makes sense .
I ended up drilling the holes slightly bigger than I needed to allow for the angle.

The instructions the rack comes with are pretty self explanatory.

Last edited:
Thanks thats brill.

5f7d19777b5dac51e3f47d2c4e9dfab9.jpg

You’ll need to drill 4 holes in the plastic inserts , shown below roughy marked in red.

1146f9788c19f18f1b284501bdcc3a52.jpg

The places to drill are already marked on the inside of the plastic bits . Just use one of those conical drill thingies that makes circular holes of varying diameters .

Try and drill straight through, bearing in mind that the metal sleeves you place in holes will be vertical and the plastic bits are slightly at an angle, if that makes sense .
I ended up drilling the holes slightly bigger than I needed to allow for the angle.

The instructions the rack comes with are pretty self explanatory.

How effective is the weather protection on them? I'm assuming it's a variable screen but the main body looks slimmer than the old wings.
2018 ones seem a decent price just now

Back
Top Bottom