GPX - Deutsche Alpenstrasse

Welcome.

Here it is, with the road closure diversion removed:

How did I do it?

a. Many MyRoute (and indeed Google route anomalies) are caused by road closures. That of course assumes that there are no user errors when planting waypoints.

b. I uploaded Arsey’s route to my MyRoute account, as a track, not a route.

c. I then asked MyRoute to convert the track into a route, which it did. Naturally enough, the route it offered up, displayed the closure loop too.

d. I then deleted any additional waypoints in the loop section.

e. I then asked MyRoute to ignore any seasonal closures. I think that MyRoute cannot tell the difference between a seasonal closure and a road that is only closed.

f. MyRoute did the rest. In the background, I also displayed the track, just to be sure everything lined up.

Yes it would have been quicker to tell me to disable seasonal closures . Done that now and it’s fine

Sent from my Nokia 3310 using Thetwatcantalk

Thanks.

I’m new to gpx but will have a play.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I needed to see why, on first upload, it only brought in points A (start) and (B) end, joining them up by the fastest roads available. This made resolving the problem impossible.

I also needed to find out if the simple instruction to ignore seasonal closures, did resolve the problem.
Yes it would have been quicker to tell me to disable seasonal closures . Done that now and it’s fine

just as a point of interest the route from arsey differs from the route in post 22 from grumpysimes in about 15 places , now would these cause any grief, i do not know i would need to study it more, but the fact there are so many differences goes to show that it is always worth checking them to make shure they fit the bill. and of course both routes may be perfect and just different from each other.

just as a point of interest the route from arsey differs from the route in post 22 from grumpysimes in about 15 places , now would these cause any grief, i do not know i would need to study it more, but the fact there are so many differences goes to show that it is always worth checking them to make shure they fit the bill. and of course both routes may be perfect and just different from each other.

Thank you, Lee.

I was going to compare them at some point.

I simply compiled mine by following a map I found online , which I can’t find now .

Arsey please dont think i was trying to pick fault with your route or indeed grumpysimes route, i was just trying to highlight the need to check things over before use, as i said both route may well be good to go.

Arsey please dont think i was trying to pick fault with your route or indeed grumpysimes route, i was just trying to highlight the need to check things over before use, as i said both route may well be good to go.

No not at all . Didn’t think that at all .
I looked on MRA , thinking it would be in the route library but couldn’t find it . Was bored waiting in hospital for a medical procedure so it killed 30/45 minutes .

Looks like we’re sorted for June 2024 then.
Deutsche Alpenstrasse then Austrian Romantic Road , then back via Munich , then Doc’s fav Black Forest hotel, Bouillon and home.
Nine ish nights and about 6/8 of us.
Wont be an open invite as , despite being such a cûnt, it seems everybody who came this year wants to come again plus a few more mates.

As an aside, my wife and me are in Austria now and did some of the Alpenstasse today. There are some roads near to it that you may want to detour on to, if you do, be sure to carry some cash with you. Some of them are private, toll roads and they operate on cash or Eurocheck cards. We didn’t have cash and our Visa cards were not recognised, so we had to go back to the nearest Geldautomat and get cash.

As a plus it passes the Held Clothing HQ and store in Sonthofen, well worth a visit.
I love Held Gloves, Because they do them (some in their range) with short as well as long fingers. As I have long fingers, they do fit me like a glove...They equally do slim and fatty sized suits too.

Last edited:
Cash is dead in Europe. A bod on this forum who lives in France, assured us it was.

Cash isn't dead in Germany. They love the stuff.

Just a heads up for anyone using the Deutsche Alpenstrasse, looking on google there are certain parts of it blocked until august so take a look before you venture there, fore armed is fore warned.

Back
Top Bottom