GPX - RIDE-Northwest France ideas and routes

Status
Not open for further replies.

Arsey

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
Note: I have created this thread from no less than five separate posts, to create (I hope) a single, commonly themed subject. Where possible, I have added in quotes from other participants in the original five separate posts.

Richard

A collection of routes.

img_4290-jpg.277693
img_4291-jpg.277694
img_4292-jpg.277695
img_4293-jpg.277699
img_4295-jpg.277700

Day 1

But I’ve reversed the route and started it from the Cherbourg ferry port

Stay here in Arromanches with Adrian

Day 2

But I’ve added/doctored the route to include a lunch stop here near Carteret.

img_9245-jpeg.277754

I can recommend dinner/staying here at La Mere Champlain in Cancale.

Just stunning

IMG-9246.png

IMG-9247.jpg

IMG-9248.png

I’ve then extended the Ride route to finish in St Malo (at the ferry terminal) taking you via the stunning Route de la Baie which follows the coast from Cancale to St Malo.

Obviously you can chop the route up or reverse/amend as needed.

Day 3

’Now try these’ the two extras

I’ve tried to copy the route as much as possible but may not be 100% the same.

Like it says in the article, you could get the overbite ferry from Newhaven, ride the route and get the ferry back the same night, so no hotel needed and avoid eating that foreign muck.

Or obviously you could get a ferry during the day and stay a night or two.
Nehwaven-Dieppe is a nice quiet little ferry route and this trip could be a quick jaunt if time is tight.

I’ve had a go at plotting the route but I’ve only taken it off the picture posted with the article so might need tweaking.

Last edited by a moderator:
Wessie says:

For day 3

there's a lovely family run Logis hotel a few km north of the end point on this route at Creuilly sur Suelles. Stayed 3 nights in May. It has the best restaurant I have eaten in for some time. The restaurant was fully booked every evening and lunchtime we were there.
Fixed price menus are really good and great value at 19, 30 & 40 euros.
Logis Hostellerie Saint Martin, https://goo.gl/maps/94NeRpfZ9y12oXP99

Wessie also says:

Hotel Windsor in Dieppe is good. Logis hotel with secure compound at the rear. On the sea front and a short walk into the main town centre.
The road west to Fecamp (stop at the lighhouse on top of the hill that overlooks the town) and Etretat famous cliffs) is lovely.

SBD says:

Lots of military history in Pas de Calais, gun emplacements, V3 base. Nice beaches. Big scenery and decent roads. Of course if you’re NW of the M25 it’ll take you a fortnight to get to the channel due to a lack of foresight, and Operation Brock, but it‘s worth the trip.

Thank you, Arsey.

Bods write off the north French coast, as “It’s feckin’ dull, mate”, whilst other bods ask for things to do, which don’t take days. This possible route, added to a few others here on the forum, might go some way to addressing those two points.

What bods could maybe do, is catch the overnight ferry to St Malo and return (using the other posts) via the Dieppe to Newhaven ferry….. or Calais. With a bit of thought, you could make a pretty good week of it, just by joining things up and using imagination. As shown in Arsey’s screenshot below:

949029c011310d39806ab10124b6bb3c.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom