Grinding noise to my 2021 BMW GS R1250 Adventure

pablojono

Reaction score
Hi guys,

New to the group, I have picked up a used 2021 BMW GS R1250 Adventure triplw black from BMW Motorad Peterborough . . .

When riding home on my new bike, after about 25mph there is a strange grinding brumbling noise from the gearbox.

Is there from cold to warm and also starts at about 25mph and doesnt go away when the clutch is pulled in or change volume or rate when engine revs increase . . . . .

Its really annoying and I'm sure when i took the GS R1250 demo out (not the adventure) it didnt make that kinda noise . . . .

The constant drone drowns out the engine noise and I can't even hear the after market akro exhaust at all really . . .

The dealer says all GS Adventures do that !

It sounds as though there's no oil in the gearbox . . they reckon they gave it a full service before I took delivery !

I can feel vibrations through the metal foot pegs also of the gearbox/cogs is that normal too . . .

Am I expecting too much as come from 5 Honda VFR's to the BMW GS and have been told they are quiet agricultural/military in ride build etc. ! ! ! compared to the super slick Honda VFR . . .

I have a 2015 BMW R90T street and absolutely love it, love the grunt and sound of the boxer engine, but it does not make the loud drone the GS R1250 Adventure seems to make :blast

Anyone else experince the loud drone from their GS R1250 Adventure at all or is it something I need to keep retruning to the dealer to look at ?

Thx guys

Clearly not normal, if the noise is as described. Talk to the dealer, Sycamore - you have warranty.

I'm curious as to why you didn't just turn around & take the bike straight back on the day TBH, as soon as the issue emerged - it would have been so much simpler for all concerned.

I know . . . because they couldn't let me pick it up till 4-30pm, by the time I had completed the delievry and stuff they hadn''t sorted already it was 5-30pm, they'd shut up at 5pm and i was the only one left with the salesman . . .

By the time i'd been to get some fuel, do about 10 miles or so and find it odd . . by the time I had got back it had just gone 5 to 6pm fella !

It would have certianly been far simpler I agree . . . it was a bit of a mess with the delivery to be honest and I contacted them straight away the next day . . not been able to get it back yet as Father in law has been very ill, unfortunately passed away a few days ago . . .

If you genuinely suspect the gearbox/trans, then I suggest you arrange collection with Sycamore, as it may not be deemed safe to ride.

You don't mention the mileage, but whatever tyre you have, once they have started to wear/cup they will 'sing' - just running a hand over the tread area will tell you whether there is any uneven wear developing.

BTW, why so agitated? - we are simply forum members trying to help out.

I have the usual tyre noise (anakee adventures), but I'd describe this more as a sort of whirring. What I also have is vibration through the bars and footpegs (beyond what you might expect from a boxer, or a 1200 at least) with what sounds almost like a grating noise from the engine/box. Others don't seem to have this vibration issue.

There are one or two others here that have reported the same. One moved onto a GSA, the other reportedly had an exchange (very new bike)

Mines going to dealers in two weeks time, when I'll also try out a 1250 GS loan bike. Mine's a Dec 2020, still low mileage.

Yep, My bike had Bridgestones on it and was shockingly loud. Get other tyres and it will be fixed! Conti TA3 if riding on the road

2021 1250GSA btw…

Barry

mine had bridgestones from new, not difficult to tell if its the tyres as the sound will change/ be worse on a worn or old road surface, on a new smooth tarmac surface it reduces ,, i wouldnt say it was a grinding sound though more a whirring like a wheel bearing was on the way out,
for what its worth i had the l/h cam chain tensioner replaced for the latest update and that reduced the vibes felt in the foot pegs significantly

i also went for the conti trial attack 3 and yes they are quieter

Back
Top Bottom