Happy bunny refreshing my 2019 R1250GS with Tractive at T-Tech Suspension

Eunuch

Well-known member
UKGSer Subscriber
Joined
Jan 25, 2004
Messages
609
Reaction score
22
Location
Hampshire, England
I've owned my 1250 Rallye from new bought 2019 and despite initial wobbles requiring the gold Hayes front callipers needing swapping out twice because they were leaking, overall I've been very pleased with the bike. I rode the 1300 a couple of times and thought it was pretty much the next bike for me right up until my dealer wanted an additional £15K on top of to trade in.

That got me thinking about what I can do to freshen the bike up and led to for me 2 mods which significantly improved the bike and a 3rd that did also, but not to such a great extent

1 - in April 2025 I took it to Geoff to get it Hilltopped at 30K miles. I posted on this already, but in summary very pleased with the results. I still don't know why I waited that long to get it done as it's so much smoother to ride, more midrange and allows more of the rev range to be used without feeling like you're being mechanically unsympathetic. I'm taking slow hairpins/corners in 2nd or 3rd when previously I'd be in 1st or 2nd.

2 - last month I took the bike to T-Tech Suspension in Newhaven and Luke applied similar magic dust to the suspension replacing the front with Tractive eX-PERIENCE and the rear with Tractive eX-CHANGE PRO. A little work getting the spring rates right and Luke was very attentive getting the damping adjusted in line with my needs to the point he was rushing to get it re-done on a Saturday before he went on holiday because he wanted to know I got exactly what I wanted before he left. He's a great guy and really knows his stuff. After getting it done and using AI to lead me I played with high and low speed compression damping ending up with a ride that was certainly pointy in the corners but not as comfortable as I was used to. So I reverted to what I know, which was booking in with a suspension specialist which in my case was Mark Hammond. He set up 2nd hand Ohlins I fitted on an old 1200GS with amazing success and the result was no different this time. He could tell the front and rear weren't working together and after a couple of hundred miles I can confirm it's fecking fantastic.

3 - at the last tyre refresh but before getting the suspension upgraded I swapped out the fancy gold spoked wheels for a set of OE alloys which reduce unsprung weight. I think I can notice the turn-in is better, but because I researched the shizzle out of it beforehand I don;t know how much was in my head!

Couple of points:

- I'd been riding around on shagged rear suspension on the 1250 without knowing it. First thing Luke did when I turned up was to push down hard on the rear seat and let it rebound, or should I say pogo. It took 4-5 pulses of the rear before it settled when it should be doing it in 1-1.5. Felt stupid not to have noticed, but turns out the OE shock goes somewhere between 30,000-50,000 miles and I'd been riding around with it and accepted the poor handing. Doh. Going from failed crappy suspension to what Tractive can offer for a sporty ride is a real eye opener. I love it.

- When I mentioned damping gone in the shock to my dealer they told me the extended warranty doesn't cover suspension over 30,000 miles ... good job I didn't renew this year then.


I'm really enjoying the ride on the old girl and I'm pleased I went through giving it a makeover. The free revving engine with more midrange coupled with the new suspenders has really rekindled the relationship with the 1250. I'm very happy with it and pleased I wasn't tempted with anything else. Hopefully I'm riding it in this state for many years to come ...
 
I'm going to refresh my suspension this year. I'll be at 36k miles and at that age, it should be done.
 
- I'd been riding around on shagged rear suspension on the 1250 without knowing it. First thing Luke did when I turned up was to push down hard on the rear seat and let it rebound, or should I say pogo. It took 4-5 pulses of the rear before it settled when it should be doing it in 1-1.5.
Can I just confirm that your rear suspension after one hard down push pogo’d up and down 5x before it settled? Is that right?
 
Can I just confirm that your rear suspension after one hard down push pogo’d up and down 5x before it settled? Is that right?

I'm ashamed to admit it, but yes.

It took 4.5 rebounds to settle.

As that takes a few seconds imagine what that was doing to the road holding.
 
I'm ashamed to admit it, but yes.

It took 4.5 rebounds to settle.

As that takes a few seconds imagine what that was doing to the road holding.
Don’t be ashamed, it’s good advice/reminder for others on here to check.
 
I'm taking slow hairpins/corners in 2nd or 3rd when previously I'd be in 1st or 2nd.

I’m not sure why this is an advantage. I get “smoother” but I don’t understand why this is better?
 
My suspension doesn't bounce its solid.
Dealer wants 2k, other quotes are around £1k

For that i have to take the suspension off the bike and refit it myself
They are just reconditioning my current suspension i remove.

TW Suspension offered this

TracTive specialise in Dynamic ESA replacements: the shock is almost plug-and-play with your ESA electronics, all we need is your original shock to transfer the ESA assembly onto the TracTive body. This does have an additional £100.00 inc Vat so all the modes and adjustment on the bars keep working exactly as before, but with a better shock underneath — built to order and sprung for your weight, at £774.78 Inc Vat:

The step up is the eX-CHANGE PRO at £1,198.96 Inc Vat — same plug-and-play ESA compatibility with a higher damping specification, worth it if you tour heavily loaded or ride hard as it has more adjustment with high and low speed compression damping. Once again you would need to send us the original shock to transfer the ESA assembly onto the TracTive shock body which has an additional cost of £100.00 Inc Vat to transfer.

The next option up from this is the complete TracTive shock with everything fitted and ready to fit straight in:

The TracTive shocks are ordered through the product page, where drop-down menus capture your weights and application, and that becomes the build specification.

Please allow around 4 to 5 weeks for the build.
 
My suspension doesn't bounce its solid.
Dealer wants 2k, other quotes are around £1k

For that i have to take the suspension off the bike and refit it myself
They are just reconditioning my current suspension i remove.

TW Suspension offered this

TracTive specialise in Dynamic ESA replacements: the shock is almost plug-and-play with your ESA electronics, all we need is your original shock to transfer the ESA assembly onto the TracTive body. This does have an additional £100.00 inc Vat so all the modes and adjustment on the bars keep working exactly as before, but with a better shock underneath — built to order and sprung for your weight, at £774.78 Inc Vat:

The step up is the eX-CHANGE PRO at £1,198.96 Inc Vat — same plug-and-play ESA compatibility with a higher damping specification, worth it if you tour heavily loaded or ride hard as it has more adjustment with high and low speed compression damping. Once again you would need to send us the original shock to transfer the ESA assembly onto the TracTive shock body which has an additional cost of £100.00 Inc Vat to transfer.

The next option up from this is the complete TracTive shock with everything fitted and ready to fit straight in:

The TracTive shocks are ordered through the product page, where drop-down menus capture your weights and application, and that becomes the build specification.

Please allow around 4 to 5 weeks for the build.
Worth doing though
 
I have had a pretty similar experience in that I have a 72 plate TB 1250gs with 6.5k on the clock at the time. I went to see the 1300 out of interest. After a quick chat I was offered £12k to change (before new panniers, top box, crash bars etc) so I declined his kind offer and thought I love my 1250gs but how can I make it a little better. So early ‘25 I bought a set of Tractive units off the site and had them fully serviced and set up for me by Lucas at T-T Suspension (5 ️ service) and they have been a revelation, no crashing or jarring over our pot hole strewn shitty surfaced roads just smooth fluid progress - fantastic! Next up was a Hilltop remap, this would be my 3rd GS (11 tc & 17 lc) to be flashed by Hilltop and I wouldn’t be disappointed as the bike was smoother, quieter, rev’d up quicker and had no low speed surging or flat spots and to top it all I was getting better mpg. A year later and just about 11k miles on the clock and I love the gs even more, it’s a great bike that does everything that I need it to do.


Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
 
I’m not sure why this is an advantage. I get “smoother” but I don’t understand why this is better?

Before getting mapped the bike was particularly rough in higher revs. If you were up there it felt like you were being mechanically very unsympathetic. At low revs it would cough and splutter leading to a jerky ride.

After being remapped it feels like it's breathing more clearly up top where I'm happier using a lot more of the revs. I stay in 3rd and 4th a lot more than I used to because they are much wider.

The Brucie bonus I didn't realise I was getting was the coughing and spluttering virtually at idle has gone meaning I can crawl along in a higher gear. When touring in the mountains (not many in the south of England 😏) it's a bonus not having to go down to first unnecessarily just because the engine was struggling.
 
  • Like
Reactions: SBD
How much was the remap at Hilltop?

At the time it was £350 for your first time and £250 if you're a returning customer which I was as I had my 1200 done previously. I see now pricing is £360/£260 respectively. Haven't seen a group discount approach for a while.

He used to dyno them too, but no longer.
 
I have had a pretty similar experience in that I have a 72 plate TB 1250gs with 6.5k on the clock at the time. I went to see the 1300 out of interest. After a quick chat I was offered £12k to change (before new panniers, top box, crash bars etc) so I declined his kind offer and thought I love my 1250gs but how can I make it a little better. So early ‘25 I bought a set of Tractive units off the site and had them fully serviced and set up for me by Lucas at T-T Suspension (5 ️ service) and they have been a revelation, no crashing or jarring over our pot hole strewn shitty surfaced roads just smooth fluid progress - fantastic! Next up was a Hilltop remap, this would be my 3rd GS (11 tc & 17 lc) to be flashed by Hilltop and I wouldn’t be disappointed as the bike was smoother, quieter, rev’d up quicker and had no low speed surging or flat spots and to top it all I was getting better mpg. A year later and just about 11k miles on the clock and I love the gs even more, it’s a great bike that does everything that I need it to do.


Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Good to hear and is a far more succinct way of saying what I did!

I think it needs these 2 things to elevate it to the level of competence that the chassis has to offer.
 
I've owned my 1250 Rallye from new bought 2019 and despite initial wobbles requiring the gold Hayes front callipers needing swapping out twice because they were leaking, overall I've been very pleased with the bike. I rode the 1300 a couple of times and thought it was pretty much the next bike for me right up until my dealer wanted an additional £15K on top of to trade in.

That got me thinking about what I can do to freshen the bike up and led to for me 2 mods which significantly improved the bike and a 3rd that did also, but not to such a great extent

1 - in April 2025 I took it to Geoff to get it Hilltopped at 30K miles. I posted on this already, but in summary very pleased with the results. I still don't know why I waited that long to get it done as it's so much smoother to ride, more midrange and allows more of the rev range to be used without feeling like you're being mechanically unsympathetic. I'm taking slow hairpins/corners in 2nd or 3rd when previously I'd be in 1st or 2nd.

2 - last month I took the bike to T-Tech Suspension in Newhaven and Luke applied similar magic dust to the suspension replacing the front with Tractive eX-PERIENCE and the rear with Tractive eX-CHANGE PRO. A little work getting the spring rates right and Luke was very attentive getting the damping adjusted in line with my needs to the point he was rushing to get it re-done on a Saturday before he went on holiday because he wanted to know I got exactly what I wanted before he left. He's a great guy and really knows his stuff. After getting it done and using AI to lead me I played with high and low speed compression damping ending up with a ride that was certainly pointy in the corners but not as comfortable as I was used to. So I reverted to what I know, which was booking in with a suspension specialist which in my case was Mark Hammond. He set up 2nd hand Ohlins I fitted on an old 1200GS with amazing success and the result was no different this time. He could tell the front and rear weren't working together and after a couple of hundred miles I can confirm it's fecking fantastic.

3 - at the last tyre refresh but before getting the suspension upgraded I swapped out the fancy gold spoked wheels for a set of OE alloys which reduce unsprung weight. I think I can notice the turn-in is better, but because I researched the shizzle out of it beforehand I don;t know how much was in my head!

Couple of points:

- I'd been riding around on shagged rear suspension on the 1250 without knowing it. First thing Luke did when I turned up was to push down hard on the rear seat and let it rebound, or should I say pogo. It took 4-5 pulses of the rear before it settled when it should be doing it in 1-1.5. Felt stupid not to have noticed, but turns out the OE shock goes somewhere between 30,000-50,000 miles and I'd been riding around with it and accepted the poor handing. Doh. Going from failed crappy suspension to what Tractive can offer for a sporty ride is a real eye opener. I love it.

- When I mentioned damping gone in the shock to my dealer they told me the extended warranty doesn't cover suspension over 30,000 miles ... good job I didn't renew this year then.


I'm really enjoying the ride on the old girl and I'm pleased I went through giving it a makeover. The free revving engine with more midrange coupled with the new suspenders has really rekindled the relationship with the 1250. I'm very happy with it and pleased I wasn't tempted with anything else. Hopefully I'm riding it in this state for many years to come ...
So instead of spending 15K on a new bike what was the total outlay for your refresh of the old girl because new alloys alone are mega bucks
 
So instead of spending 15K on a new bike what was the total outlay for your refresh of the old girl because new alloys alone are mega bucks

The big items came to under £3K .... Tractive ride in/ride out was under £2,700 and the remap was £250.

Independently worth every penny. Together a stonking combination and I would have been extremely happy with the bike if it was still fitted with the original gold spoked wheels.

I bought the alloy wheels off ebay in 2019 for £678 which had come off a 2018 1200GS. They were immaculate and had been stuck in the back of the garage for years. At one point I tried to sell them without any luck and only decided to use them when the refresh was in play.
 
Last edited:
I hadn’t heard of Tractive so thanks for the post. I have a 1250, that is perfect for me and with tip top suspension, but it’s nice to know there are options as and when 👍
 
I've owned my 1250 Rallye from new bought 2019 and despite initial wobbles requiring the gold Hayes front callipers needing swapping out twice because they were leaking, overall I've been very pleased with the bike. I rode the 1300 a couple of times and thought it was pretty much the next bike for me right up until my dealer wanted an additional £15K on top of to trade in.

That got me thinking about what I can do to freshen the bike up and led to for me 2 mods which significantly improved the bike and a 3rd that did also, but not to such a great extent

1 - in April 2025 I took it to Geoff to get it Hilltopped at 30K miles. I posted on this already, but in summary very pleased with the results. I still don't know why I waited that long to get it done as it's so much smoother to ride, more midrange and allows more of the rev range to be used without feeling like you're being mechanically unsympathetic. I'm taking slow hairpins/corners in 2nd or 3rd when previously I'd be in 1st or 2nd.

2 - last month I took the bike to T-Tech Suspension in Newhaven and Luke applied similar magic dust to the suspension replacing the front with Tractive eX-PERIENCE and the rear with Tractive eX-CHANGE PRO. A little work getting the spring rates right and Luke was very attentive getting the damping adjusted in line with my needs to the point he was rushing to get it re-done on a Saturday before he went on holiday because he wanted to know I got exactly what I wanted before he left. He's a great guy and really knows his stuff. After getting it done and using AI to lead me I played with high and low speed compression damping ending up with a ride that was certainly pointy in the corners but not as comfortable as I was used to. So I reverted to what I know, which was booking in with a suspension specialist which in my case was Mark Hammond. He set up 2nd hand Ohlins I fitted on an old 1200GS with amazing success and the result was no different this time. He could tell the front and rear weren't working together and after a couple of hundred miles I can confirm it's fecking fantastic.

3 - at the last tyre refresh but before getting the suspension upgraded I swapped out the fancy gold spoked wheels for a set of OE alloys which reduce unsprung weight. I think I can notice the turn-in is better, but because I researched the shizzle out of it beforehand I don;t know how much was in my head!

Couple of points:

- I'd been riding around on shagged rear suspension on the 1250 without knowing it. First thing Luke did when I turned up was to push down hard on the rear seat and let it rebound, or should I say pogo. It took 4-5 pulses of the rear before it settled when it should be doing it in 1-1.5. Felt stupid not to have noticed, but turns out the OE shock goes somewhere between 30,000-50,000 miles and I'd been riding around with it and accepted the poor handing. Doh. Going from failed crappy suspension to what Tractive can offer for a sporty ride is a real eye opener. I love it.

- When I mentioned damping gone in the shock to my dealer they told me the extended warranty doesn't cover suspension over 30,000 miles ... good job I didn't renew this year then.


I'm really enjoying the ride on the old girl and I'm pleased I went through giving it a makeover. The free revving engine with more midrange coupled with the new suspenders has really rekindled the relationship with the 1250. I'm very happy with it and pleased I wasn't tempted with anything else. Hopefully I'm riding it in this state for many years to come ...
Thanks for your very detailed and helpful post. I am a bit dim, so please forgive me but does 'Tractive ride in/out mean he supplies and fits fits them for the ballpark price you mention? Thank you.
 
  • Like
Reactions: G&T
The big items came to under £3K .... Tractive ride in/ride out was under £2,700 and the remap was £250.

Independently worth every penny. Together a stonking combination and I would have been extremely happy with the bike if it was still fitted with the original gold spoked wheels.

I bought the alloy wheels off ebay in 2019 for £678 which had come off a 2018 1200GS. They were immaculate and had been stuck in the back of the garage for years. At one point I tried to sell them without any luck and only decided to use them when the refresh was in play.
Well done with the alloys finding a straight front is nigh on impossible, I’ll buy your gold wires if your after selling as im after changing the black wires on my rallye
 
I hadn’t heard of Tractive so thanks for the post. I have a 1250, that is perfect for me and with tip top suspension, but it’s nice to know there are options as and when 👍

Stock 1250 suspension is certainly good and until mine went off drastically performed very well on lots of solo sporty riding in the UK and around Europe.

Having the option to get exactly he right springs for your weight, having Luke adjust how much damping is used in the shock (I saw the equivalent dyno chart of the shock on how it's configured being hit at certain speeds - he adjusted it for my needs), adjusting high and low speed compression again to your needs and the whole thing being serviceable now adds creamy layer on top of that good 1250 base. In my opinion the Tractive implementation has given me a set up better than my original 1250 and is at least as good as the 1300.

Sweat the original 1250 suspension until 1) it fails or 2) you want more than it is able to offer (2-up, luggage, speed/roads, etc) as it's certainly extremely capable out the box. Just nice to know there are options when you need to replace it 👍
 
  • Like
Reactions: G&T


Back
Top Bottom