Heated Seat question

lolgamlen

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
Hi all
Just getting used to my new to me 2018 1200gs
I am thinking of upgrading the rider’s seat to a heated one but nit sure if the wiring is alrrady in place for this modification for a heated seat to plug into, I couldn’t see a plug but to be fair I wouldn’t be too sure what I was looking for!
Thanks in advance
Laurence

I'm pretty sure the BMW heated seat will not work on your bike.

Even if the wiring is in place (I don't think it is), on bikes with heated seats there is a 'button' on the right hand switch gear which controls the seat heating and the heated grips via the TFT. You will just have the heated grips button/wiring.

If you really wanted heated seats (I very rarely use mine) it would probably be cost effective to look at a heated Wunderlich or Sargent seat etc which occasionally come up for sale on here/eBay

Hi all
Just getting used to my new to me 2018 1200gs
I am thinking of upgrading the rider’s seat to a heated one but nit sure if the wiring is alrrady in place for this modification for a heated seat to plug into, I couldn’t see a plug but to be fair I wouldn’t be too sure what I was looking for!
Thanks in advance
Laurence
From recollection,without digging back notes etc, pretty sure the heated seat(s) option only became a factory fit option around 2020 or 21. As suggested in another reply Wunderlich/Sargent aftermarket seats are likely your best options, I seem to remember researching Wunderlich prior to noticing BMW were starting to offer "official" heated chairs'

I had an email 2 days ago from Nippy Normans offering buy and try with free returns on Wunderlict seats if that's of any use to the OP. It didn't say how long the offer was on for though.
Screenshot_20240226_234748_Email.jpg

Even if the wiring is in place (I don't think it is), on bikes with heated seats there is a 'button' on the right hand switch gear which controls the seat heating and the heated grips via the TFT. You will just have the heated grips button/wiring.

If you really wanted heated seats (I very rarely use mine) it would probably be cost effective to look at a heated Wunderlich or Sargent seat etc which occasionally come up for sale on here/eBay
Thanks Mike. Mine does have the tft screen, but I think you are right about the wiring not being in place.

I bought a used heated Sargent seat for my '19 1250GSA. Easy to wire in and its heat is fully variable rather than in stages, plus I rate the Sargent seats for comfort.

Unfortunately I had to strip the seat down and repair the heating element which had broken in two places due to the previous owner using a ferry and forgetting not to have straps put across the seat.

I bought a used heated Sargent seat for my '19 1250GSA. Easy to wire in and its heat is fully variable rather than in stages, plus I rate the Sargent seats for comfort.

Unfortunately I had to strip the seat down and repair the heating element which had broken in two places due to the previous owner using a ferry and forgetting not to have straps put across the seat.
Do you know if the same applies to strapping a bike with Oem seat?

Do you know if the same applies to strapping a bike with Oem seat?
If you mean the OEM heated seat in particular then yes, that would also be a very bad idea. It would risk damaging the seat pad heating element.

On any bike, I would rather undo the seat and let them strap across the frame to compress the suspension, then refit the seat loosely for the crossing.

I have been considering fitting an ex 1200RT pad to my 2012 GS seat. If I ran an ignition live to a relay via an aftermarket handlebar switch, and connected the relay direct to battery, I would imagine that would work - unless it would cause the 2012 GSA wiring to throw a wobbler?

Back
Top Bottom