Hi Vis vest

sanqhar

Reaction score
I'm looking for a Hi Vis vest, preferably not the 'airtex' type.
The choice seems to be the cheap builders type with velcro fastening or something eye watering expensive.
So it has to be water resistant/proof, zipped and under £50.
Any thoughts recommendations?
tom

presumably you want to wear it all of the time rather than for compliance in France? For the latter the builder's type is ideal as it rolls up small and can be tucked away in a tank bag and retrieved quickly if you get a puncture and need to stop on the side of a road.

Not sure what you mean by airtex. I have recently bought a Revit Athos. It’s available in a knitted construction ( mine) or a woven textile.
Mine was £45.

I have probably had 10 “ builders” £5 vests in the last 20 years. The issue with them being they flog in the wind and often when making progress on the naked bike , they blow open.

The Athos is a lovely cut, fits well and doesnt flog. Will it last 20 years eg to get my money back? Of course not , but it looks smart on and off the bike so that will do for me.

I've not taken a bike to Europe for about seven years, is it now compulsory to wear a dayglo vest?

I've not taken a bike to Europe for about seven years, is it now compulsory to wear a dayglo vest?

Not when riding.

In France, all drivers & riders should wear a hi-viz vest or jacket with reflective strips if they stop and wander about due to a breakdown, accident etc. I believe it is an offence not to have one with you, in a place where you can reach it easily. Hence my post above about a cheap vest that can be rolled up and stuffed in a corner of a tank bag. £2 on Ebay saves any embarrassment

Thanks, I think that may have been the case when I was last over there. I don't mind wearing a Hi Viz vest when I'm out on my bicycle as I feel quite vulnerable, but I object to looking a twat when I'm trying to look cool on a motorcycle :DD

Try BK Safetywear.

They do a Yellow/orange full sleeved, zipped hi-viz. They aren't waterproof, but they do wick away the water quickly once the rain stops.

SteveT

:dragon

Why does it have to be "water resistant"? Any old cheap high viz vest will do the job. Overthinking it to be spending loads on something so simple and easily bought for a fiver.

Pm me if you want a cheap and cheerful one for free.

Pointless paying for good one if you’re not planning on using it I’d say

I'm looking for a Hi Vis vest, preferably not the 'airtex' type.
The choice seems to be the cheap builders type with velcro fastening or something eye watering expensive.
So it has to be water resistant/proof, zipped and under £50.
Any thoughts recommendations?
tom

This any good?

Or this for a more jacket style?

There’s loads out there. Google: hi-viz light jacket motorcycle

Last edited:
I wonder if the zip on Hi Viz bib that comes with Halvarssons Prime jacket ticks the French legal boxes? That's all I'll be using, but before I bought the Prime jacket, I always just carried the cheapest zip up hi viz bib I could get in case of any breakdown side of the road eventualities.

Back
Top Bottom