Highlander NAP-PAK ARCTIC R11 INFLATABLE SLEEPING MAT

My Trekology UL80 also failed on me this year when in France. I replaced it with one of these from Decathalon in Colmar https://www.decathlon.co.uk/p/light...e-xl-mt500-xl-195-x-60-cm/324600/c221m8853281
Really happy with it so far.
I woke up around 1am cold and an aching hip lol
In the morning when i had the light i checked under to make sure i didnt lay it on something sharp, couldnt see anything.

Maybe just coincidence but its the first time i camped without the tents groundsheet.
 
I woke up around 1am cold and an aching hip lol
In the morning when i had the light i checked under to make sure i didnt lay it on something sharp, couldnt see anything.

Maybe just coincidence but its the first time i camped without the tents groundsheet.
I couldn’t find the leak on mine, it would just slowly deflate over night. It was only 3 years old and probably used for around 50 nights, so not great build quality. It was comfortable though.
 
got one , used it , works well , punctured it already , fixed that with the kit from the Exped i binned , 2 mates have now got them , they both like the pack size compared to a thermarest , and the thickness , again compared to the thermarest .
the internal foil is bonded so makes no noise .

for the bloke who is 6'4" , get your legs shortened ! or build your pillow up above the mat .
 
It arrived today, And as i'm a big kid I did a quick test run in the house.

It's definitely the right height & support for side sleeping. I can lay on my side with no pressure points, or anything feeling like it is close to the floor. And packing it up into its bag is incredibly easy!
 
The thing with this mat and many others are they are not long enough, I'm 6'4" and this Highlander mat is 6 ft only, meaning some part of me either head or feet is not fitting on.
There is always a simple solution to any problem, see below, problem solved! :D

biker.jpg
 
Last weekend i went camping under the mountains in the lake district, I had a Trekology UL80 Camping Mat which ive a few years and been ok for summer camping.

First night it burst and i was lay on the floor which was cold and rock hard.
I didn't sleep a wink all weekend because of this, it was a stark reminder how important a sleep mat is.

So basically, i need a new mat lol

The thing with this mat and many others are they are not long enough, I'm 6'4" and this Highlander mat is 6 ft only, meaning some part of me either head or feet is not fitting on.
If I worked it out correctly you’re 190cm tall.
This airbed is 195cm long.


This one is 198cm long….


A useful read here….

 
Last edited:
If I worked it out correctly you’re 190cm tall.
This airbed is 195cm long.


This one is 198cm long….


A useful read here….

Both those seem to do the job.

size and weight im not too worried about to much as long as its not ridiculous.
As I've learned over the years i can put up with anything when I'm camping as long as i know I'm getting a good sleep at the end of the day.
 
My Trekology UL80 also failed on me this year when in France. I replaced it with one of these from Decathalon in Colmar https://www.decathlon.co.uk/p/light...e-xl-mt500-xl-195-x-60-cm/324600/c221m8853281
Really happy with it so far.
I was tempted to replace my old 2.5cm mat with something better for my failing back and was tempted to buy a Treckology UL140, but the experiences of a few of you guys has put me off! is there any such thing as a decent 10cm thick backpackable mat with a decent R value a under £50 these days I wonder? They all seem much of a muchness below this price.
 
I was tempted to replace my old 2.5cm mat with something better for my failing back and was tempted to buy a Treckology UL140, but the experiences of a few of you guys has put me off! is there any such thing as a decent 10cm thick backpackable mat with a decent R value a under £50 these days I wonder? They all seem much of a muchness below this price.
In a word, no.
 
Bought the Robens Heatcore 5.9R and it's a very decent mat. No rustling at all despite the layers of foil used in the insulation and a fairly grippy surface. However, I am finding it a bit too narrow as a side sleeper although it's perfect if you sleep on your back and super light too. I may try the Highlander R11 mat instead as at current prices, it's a bargain. Reviews all seem very positive too. I would have saved for a Thermarest Neo Loft or Big Agnes 10cm one but compared to those, the Highlander seems cheap, in a good way! My Robens may be up for grabs....only used once.
 
Tried the Highlander out last night and my observations so far:

Not as premium feeling as the Robens Heatcore 5.9R and slippier top and bottom. Not quite as comfortable as the Robens pockets were smaller and conformed better to body shape, so the Arctic mat has to have more air let out. Enough so when lying on it, the middle section was just off touching the ground. It was still comfortable and obviously wider which was welcomed, but for me, the robens was more comfortable. However, I'll be keeping the Highlander purely because of the extra depth which did keep me from touching down anywhere. The sides would give way easier if you rolled onto them, whereas the Robens one was strengthened at the sides and had the air pockets provide extra stiffness here. For anyone looking for a premium and warm mat, who doesn't need the additional thickness, the Robens is the better bet. For those with back injuries who need a mat to conform more without touching ground in the middle of the mat when laying down, the Highlander just wins out.
 


Back
Top Bottom