If you went to Lumb Farm, don't read this!

Hi y2blade,
It'll be great to see you at the Ace Cafe on the 1st November if you can make it - hope we have a sunny day!

I was at the Ace Cafe on Monday, setting things up, confirming the details and the like. Cool bunch of people work there and what an amazing setting - the history just leaps out at you doesn't it. I was pleasantly surprised to find that one of the staff there had noticed that I wasn't a regular and she came over to make me welcome. How often does that sort of thing happen eh!

Traveldri-Plus are very kindly hosting the book signing at the NEC. They are going to be on stand T7 and I think that's in Hall 3. They are normally in the same section as all the touring companies.

If you don't make it to the launch at the Ace, it'll be a good opportunity to link up. The time is going to fly by methinks.

Cheers for now,
Sam

I looked for Under Asian Skies in Waterstones at the weekend... bit of a limited collection of travel books in the Belfast store, but was told I'd have to order.. do you not supply to them, do you get a better return if I buy from you direct..?

I always put Mondo and Lois's books to the front of the display and make sure they're at eye level... Here to help...

Cheers Sue...

Hi Sue
Good to hear from you - and there's a very Waterstonish tale to tell here. To my delight, as you'll imagine, earlier this year Waterstones contacted me to say that they'd like to stock my 3 books. Brilliant news I thought. The only trouble is that I have to promote the books to each store on a one by one basis. I took a random sample of 80 stores, put promotion packs together, posted them, and waited with baited breath and fingers crossed. And waited, and waited... Some orders are starting to dribble in. I saw some of my books in a Waterstones the other day and I have to own up to a little flush of pride at seeing them there.

I've come to the conclusion that it's going to be a slow process, but I'm working at it. At least the books are on the Waterstones database and that means when people ask for them, they don't get puzzled expressions in return :thumb2 Guess I just need lots of people to go into their local Waterstones to ask if the books are available :):):) That was a blatant hint to anyone reading this (nah really?)

I'm probably rattling on a bit here but writing and promoting the books is an amazing adventure. It all helps to keep me sane now I'm in one place for a while. Something new happens everyday! The first reviews of Distant Suns are coming out now too and thankfully, no one is throwing any rotten tomatoes at me!:hide

Is there a better return buying from me direct? Too right there is. You'd be amazed (perhaps) at how many middle men there are who need a cut between me and the shelves in Waterstones. And of course I'm delighted to do signed copies for people who order from the website.

You did make me laugh when you wrote about giving Austin and Lois's books a boost. Good on yer!

All the best to you for now.
Cheers,
Sam

And of course I'm delighted to do signed copies for people who order from the website.

You really are rubbish at this self-promotion stuff Sam... :dabone

That website for anyone who missed it and would like to order a signed copy directly from Sam, so cutting out the middle men who bleed a poor starving author dry...

[size=+3]www.sam-manicom.com[/size]

:D

(that's the 'direct' marketing approach) :augie

You really are rubbish at this self-promotion stuff Sam... :dabone

That website for anyone who missed it and would like to order a signed copy directly from Sam, so cutting out the middle men who bleed a poor starving author dry...

[size=+3]www.sam-manicom.com[/size]

(that's the 'direct' marketing approach) :augie

... and here, have a free 'bump' from me.

This be a thank you from a lousey self promoter (I should practice more!)a suitably 'bumped' and very appreciative of being so:), and a fan of x-rays, plastered feet, dogs, Blades, TT's and anyone else who fancies a run down to the Ace Cafe on Saturday the 1st of November:beerjug:
Erm, did I get that bit right Mr Custom Earplugger?
Ooh, nearly forgot...
www.sam-manicom.com:thumb2

Hi y2blade,
It'll be great to see you at the Ace Cafe on the 1st November if you can make it - hope we have a sunny day!

I was at the Ace Cafe on Monday, setting things up, confirming the details and the like. Cool bunch of people work there and what an amazing setting - the history just leaps out at you doesn't it. I was pleasantly surprised to find that one of the staff there had noticed that I wasn't a regular and she came over to make me welcome. How often does that sort of thing happen eh!

Traveldri-Plus are very kindly hosting the book signing at the NEC. They are going to be on stand T7 and I think that's in Hall 3. They are normally in the same section as all the touring companies.

If you don't make it to the launch at the Ace, it'll be a good opportunity to link up. The time is going to fly by methinks.

Cheers for now,
Sam

nice one i'll say hi :)

No it won't.He'll make you look through his collection of X-Rays and Pix of his Plastered foot,his Dog,his Blade,The TT . . . . .:augie

bugger off Dee :D

:aidan

Hi Sam,

I've read both your books (and both by Lois too) and have thoroughly enjoyed them. Really looking forward to getting the new one.

Hop to see you again at the CW signing on 22nd November.

Andy

Erm, did I get that bit right Mr Custom Earplugger?
Ooh, nearly forgot...
www.sam-manicom.com:thumb2

:nono

'fraid not :1/10

you need to make the website a clickable link and maybe throw in some gratuitous publicity image and a quote or two from a newspaper review...

...you know - something like this:

[SIZE=+17]www.sam-manicom.com[/SIZE]

dswebbanner.jpg

[size=+1]"For the armchair traveller, Sam's descriptive can make the
mouth water, or the hairs on the back of the neck crawl, [/size]depending on
whether he's describing a goat curry or the prospect of persuading armed
Border guards that he's just a simple traveller."

[size=+1]"Few travel writers can conjure up sights
and smells so provocatively as Sam. [/size]And with Birgit's day-to-day diaries as
the staple diet, he has hit upon a rich recipe for his readers.
[size=+1]
To be brutally honest, this is how Ewan MacGregor and Charley Boorman
should have done it!"[/size]

The Daily Record
:eek:onyack

But I think it would be really tacky of you to do it at this stage - I think people have got the message by now :augie :D :upyou :dabone :D

Of course you could tease the readers with the promise of photos of Birgit caked from head to foot in wet, slippery mud :eek

:hide

(and there is one in the book for those who are ..erm.. interested)

Hey Andy,
Thanks for that - kind words always gratefully received. I look forward to linking up with you at CWs.

For those who haven't picked up on it, and those who don't fancy a ride to the big smoke, we will be at CWs in Dorchester on Saturday the 22nd November.

Catch you soon.
Cheers,
Sam
PS I quite agree about Lois's books. Funnily enough I re read Lois on the Loose last week. Well worth doing. I found all sorts of details that I hadn't picked up on the first time around. Must do the same with RT&WK

Good Grief! That's it Mr Custom Earplugger! You've got the job! Extraordinary publicity. How do you do that stuff!?
And the bit about Birgit wearing a layer of mud? I had to work hard to get her to let me put that pic in the book. She kept muttering something about modesty... ;)
Tell you what though. I don't know what I think about the Ewan and Charlie comment. To my mind, they do their stuff their way and the rest of us do it our own ways. S'one of the great things about biking/overlanding eh. Everyone does it as an individual. For me the key is that I wouldn't want to do a trip their way. They may be cash rich but I'd rather be time rich, if I had to make a choice. Nice to have both though eh. In the end, I think that anyone who has been able to get outside of their own country on two wheels is lucky. For me, that's when adventure starts.:thumb2
Hmmm, the question is, why is it that I keep getting arrested, jailed, shot at, hospitalised and have to be rescued by gorgeous women?:jibber If I travelled faster, perhaps I wouldn't have time for all that malarky?

Attachments

• Launch Poster C.JPG
    Launch Poster C.JPG
    39.2 KB · Views: 165
I'm hoping to get along to the Ace,but if i do, i'll be in this;

000_25061.jpg

I'll have a load of Flavoured Milk on Board from Chadwell Heath Dairy. The Perils of being a Wage Slave ! :eek:

Somewhat irritatingly I forgot I've got a weekend of kayaking booked in Dartmoor that weekend, although by coincidence we're staying at the Plume of Feathers in Princetown where I first bumped into you in 2005 on the GSclub weekend...

I have, however, ordered a copy through your website (Link) cos the last two were cracking books! :thumb

Oh, and you're thread has got a bump as well. ;)

Hi Dee Tee,
Yours will be the most unuual form of transport that's for sure. 'Flavoured milk'? Hmmm, got any choc milk on board? I know a certain girl who will be tapping on your truck door if you do!
You'd better not park too close to the Ace Cafe though or Mr Custom Earplugger will come up with an idea for changing the advertising from cheese to...:clap Now there's a thought.
Hope you can make it.
Cheers,
Sam

Hi David,
What a shame! Still, what a great area to go kayaking. I hope that both parts of the country get great weather.

Thank you very much for the kind words re Into Africa and Under Asian Skies! :beerjug:

Many thanks for the order, I've just seen it come through. Also thanks for putting the link up for people. All help welcome :)

Perhaps you'll be getting to the NEC or to ExCel in the spring. I'll be with Les on Traveldri first and then with Nick on Touratech for ExCel.

Hope to catch you at one or the other. Have fun on the 1st.
Cheers,
Sam
http://www.sam-manicom.com​

Headed up to the Ace today with some pals from the New Forest. Had a fantastic late breakfast, said a quick hi to Sam.

Shame there weren't very many people there today, only about 20 bikes at the busiest time. Although the weather was atrocious.

Left at about 5.30 and rode all the way home in high winds and torrential rain.

But a great way to spend the afternoon.

I'm hoping to get along to the Ace,but if i do, i'll be in this;

000_25061.jpg

I'll have a load of Flavoured Milk on Board from Chadwell Heath Dairy. The Perils of being a Wage Slave ! :eek:

And he did too :thumb2

A bit of a detour, but worth it (for us at least) as lashings of chocolate milk were brought to slake the thirst of 'Team Manicom'

Attachments

• deetee.jpg
    deetee.jpg
    77.7 KB · Views: 212

Back
Top Bottom