InReach gps

kevingrahambutler

Reaction score
I'm looking at getting a inReach gps tracker for my trip next year it has gps positioning, sos, txt messages anywhere also able to post on Facebook media when I like and my family can track my position any time too.
Dose any one have any experience with the inReach expedition unit,
they have a monthly or yearly charge that's not bad for what you get, looking on the market and reviews this seems to be the dogs

I have an InReach Explorer SE and am very happy with it. On the face of it, it's more expensive than its closest rival, the Spot, but you get a lot more for your money and, as you point out, the billing is more flexible. You only need pay for the time the unit is actually in use. Reading what others have said about it, I'm not using mine to its optimum. DeLorme recommend that you use email in preference to SMS texts to keep in touch but, in this smart phone era, the text input is very clunky. You can pre-format a few standard messages on their website, but cleverer people than me hook their InReach device up to their smart phone and to type messages. I haven't bothered with personal messages at all, but I do use the Facebook feed to send MapShare links from time to time. I also don't bother mounting the unit on the bike. You can't really use it on the move, the battery lasts about 100 hours and it works just as well in a breast pocket.

Here's my page, showing my current location ... in Mariinsk Municiple Hospital! (Won't be doing any more riding till the end of the month, so have allowed the InReach to run out of juice.) :aidan

https://share.delorme.com/BrigidRynne

Might be a good idea not to rely on one device,?

Depending where you are going to.

Russia USA back,
Arrived set up tried it out with a 20 mile trip, works great, planning a wild camp in Scotland to test it out, also heading to hoggs bank,
Looked at quit a few reviews about different units and the inReach always came back best, I already sort of made my mind up just wanted to know if anyone on here had used one,

I'm now on my third unit after purchasing it to us on a Mongolia trip last year. It stopped working two days before my trip then the replacement failed in Calais. Started working again in Greece but failed half way across the Gobi Desert......not a good time for loved ones to see a total loss of tracking and comms via the unit.

I'm now also about to send the third unit back. Excellent bit of kit when it works but it is too erratic and has now developed an intermittent fault where it chooses when to send tracking points even though it is set up correctly. Also the toggle button has stopped working on one of the arrows so using it has become even clunkier!

I cannot fault GTS who have replaced both faulty units without hassle.

Very disappointed with a costly bit of kit.

Back
Top Bottom