K series and the ULEZ in London

Stevey B

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
I have a 1987 K75C which I use in london.
With the ongoing threat of our illustrious mayor looking to Impose a ultra low emission zone up to the borders with the M25 ish, I emailed the Homologation Team at BMW to obtain a certificate of conformity which negates the daily £12.50 charge when this goes live.
Today I received the mail confirming there is no certificate available for my particular bike due to its age, understandable.
Anyone else received the same good news and what have you done to get over this obstacle.
The mayor has given the details of the only authorised garage in the east of London which will carry out a emissions test for £170. Seems a tad expensive for what would be a 15 minute test.

SteveyB

Blimey! That must surely be a case for a review of the legislation? Up here in Greater Manchester motorcycles are exempt from the charge altogether, same in Bradford West Yorkshire and Sheffield in South Yorkshire. Surely there can't be one set of exemptions for most of the rest of the country?

ULEZ cameras won't read a 7x5.5in plate... :mmmm

Discovered this recently while going through my autopay bills.
All my bikes have regular plates, but the DRZ has a smaller (technically non legal) one to avoid getting caught in the rear wheel while offroad. It is angled correctly and has standard type, reflective material, etc.

I got done (wrongly) a couple of years ago on Waterloo bridge for ULEZ (the bike is active on Autopay) and that was it.
I was expecting to pay once or twice a month I ride it in/out of London for the trails, but nothing ever appeared on the statements.

The garage originally put up for testing was Khan's in East London. £175 for a 30 minute rolling road test. My initial thought was, why only 1 garage initially amd why so expensive.
Looks like I have to pay up for the test certificate or out the bike when I've finished converting it. Let's hope the opposition to the ulez gains traction.

Blimey! That must surely be a case for a review of the legislation? Up here in Greater Manchester motorcycles are exempt from the charge altogether, same in Bradford West Yorkshire and Sheffield in South Yorkshire. Surely there can't be one set of exemptions for most of the rest of the country?

I think the London Ulez has been developed so far in advance of the others and sets its own tighter regs... Up in Scotland the Ulez reg or Lez one that are proposed similarly exempt bikes but older non compliant vehicles are totally banned so missing a stream of revenue by replacing the daily charge with a steep fine...

Why would anyone willingly ride in london?

Perfect form of commuter and personal transport. You can almost guarantee you're going to get where you want to go in a reasonable time and find somewhere to park. Why wouldn't you?

Perfect form of commuter and personal transport. You can almost guarantee you're going to get where you want to go in a reasonable time and find somewhere to park. Why wouldn't you?

A bit like the bus, London Overground and tube then? Unless the fuckers are on strike.

As to those who want to? Those that live here. The rest are scared to even think about crossing the M25, thankfully, as all they do is gawp in slack jawed wonder at electricity, indoor toilets and buildings over head height.

A bit like the bus, London Overground and tube then? Unless the fuckers are on strike.

As to those who want to? Those that live here. The rest are scared to even think about crossing the M25, thankfully, as all they do is gawp in slack jawed wonder at electricity, indoor toilets and buildings over head height.

Yeah but, in the summer the tube is disgusting, full of sweaty armpits in your face. busses although frequent and free take too long to get anywhere, all that stopping and starting, and trains only take you where they want to stop, most inconvenient. Jump on your bike a whoosh, wiggle, wiggle and you're there.

I choose my London commutes with care. I will ride around the North Circular Road, where there is dual carriageway and not too many pedestrians or cagers pulling out from side-roads. I am fortunate to live near a Tube station so it is simple to use this method to get into the heart of London.

I have a 1987 K75C which I use in london.
With the ongoing threat of our illustrious mayor looking to Impose a ultra low emission zone up to the borders with the M25 ish, I emailed the Homologation Team at BMW to obtain a certificate of conformity which negates the daily £12.50 charge when this goes live.
Today I received the mail confirming there is no certificate available for my particular bike due to its age, understandable.
Anyone else received the same good news and what have you done to get over this obstacle.
The mayor has given the details of the only authorised garage in the east of London which will carry out a emissions test for £170. Seems a tad expensive for what would be a 15 minute test.

SteveyB

The guys in Stevenage will "guarantee" to get your bike thorugh the ULEZ compliance. The test can take up to 4 hours, they say.

No help for my bloody diesel though.

:jes:jes:jes

Yeah but, in the summer the tube is disgusting, full of sweaty armpits in your face. busses although frequent and free take too long to get anywhere, all that stopping and starting, and trains only take you where they want to stop, most inconvenient. Jump on your bike a whoosh, wiggle, wiggle and you're there.

I travel after 09:30 and it’s all free.

The modern tube trains are all now air conditioned, whilst the buses fair whizz along. In fact the bloke driving the D3 yesterday could have topped Q3 at Monza. If truth be told, he was near on dangerous. But hey, that’s the edgy metropolis for you.

:beerjug:

So I can get to my favourite Soho falafel joint in 40 min from Berks. and than go across the street to Admiral Duncan for a pint. I am always a hit in my leathers :D

I travel after 09:30 and it’s all free.

And there's the rub, spent 45 years of my life living in the Greater London area, 20 years paying council tax into it's system only for the wife wanting to move further out 5 years short of my freedom pass. Never mind get the free buss to Abbey Wood Station and then £3.10 ticket on the Elizabeth Line in, not too bad I suppose considering we now live in a better environment than we did before.

Agreed, it’s a right shite hole. I have to live with this crap 5 minutes away from my front door in my inner city post code.. Fortunately I can walk to it and leave my bike at home.

Attachments

• 6611FC19-73C3-4FCD-A97E-94A90145156A.jpeg
    6611FC19-73C3-4FCD-A97E-94A90145156A.jpeg
    66.6 KB · Views: 59

Back
Top Bottom