Key stuck in seat lock with both seats fixed on

Taxpayer

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
Had both seats off to check for some space, replaced both, but now can't remove key. I've looked at earlier posts but no joy at the moment. My bike is a 1250 gs but has cool seat covers on both. Despite doing this many times before without any problem, i'm literally Stuck.

I do have a spare key, which hopefully means i can still ride my bike, but would like any advice in fixing it. Thanks in advance Phil

Had both seats off to check for some space, replaced both, but now can't remove key. I've looked at earlier posts but no joy at the moment. My bike is a 1250 gs but has cool seat covers on both. Despite doing this many times before without any problem, i'm literally Stuck.

I do have a spare key, which hopefully means i can still ride my bike, but would like any advice in fixing it. Thanks in advance Phil
Sounds like you got your seat covers jammed up in the mechanism , be prepared perhaps tl start cutting their attachments off...

Try getting someone to put their weight on the pillion seat, maybe pushing it forward to see if you can relieve the tension on what ever is stopping the lock returning to it's normal position. I had something similar happen at the dealers and the service chap managed to free it for me.

Sit on the seat and then try the lock.

Its scrap, Buy yourself a new 1300GS

Try spraying some WD40 into the lock and wiggle the key to see if that works, as a pin inside the lock could have corrosion on it and seized ? just a thought.

Will the key turn and can you remove the seats. or are they stuck as well? It's more ore likely to be the seat release mechanism that's putting force onto the key, pushing the lobe on the wafer against the key groove. If this is the case, if you can get the seat off the key will come out. If it's not that, make sure the key is in the position it should come out and pull sharply. Then once you get it out, don't used oil or WD40 after that, clean it out with some brake cleaner then just use some graphite powder or spray to lubricate it. Using oils or release agents etc are just a temporary fix but then if not removed will attract dirt and dust etc.

I've turned up before to a KTM dealer for a service, couldn't find the key on me anywhere but figured I must of had it to get to where I was at..

The key was still in the seat lock!!

You can ride it with the key there - just put a tie wrap tether on..

Get someone to sit on the seats as said above - sounds like there's pressure on the mechanism so it won't release.

Hi folks, first the good news, we have removed both seats & the key. The bad news is 1 of the cool seat covers was damaged in order to view the problem. The son of a local bike garage came round to my house, during his break, & together we fixed it. The answer was a mixture of things. The seat covers were possibly jamming the mechanism. Also the V section looked to have jumped over the arm as mentioned previously. However in removing the key, the whole barrel came out with it. Earlier i had tried all the ideas, even using a huge rubber mallet. In desperation i made a booking at my nearest dealer in Preston on monday, now cancelled. Many thanks for the replies, & hope this explanation may help someone else in future.

Back
Top Bottom