Klim carlsbad and gloves

Buttertub

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
Hi i recently bought a klim carlsbad suit and i'm looking for a decent pair of winter goretex gloves. I have an older pair of waterproof winter gloves but its a hell of a struggle getting them under sleeve's and is putting too much strain on the zip for my liking.

Has anyone with the same jacket come across a pair of winter gloves that will go under the sleeve's reasonably well. I know its a faff no matter what you buy but just thought i'd see whats out there, if anything ? how do others get on, if the gloves are on the outside does water run down the sleeve's into the gloves ?

I ask because i haven't done a lot of wet weather stuff ( i know i'm a wuss.... lol) but i've been caught in the past infrequently and for the life of me i cant remember if the water ran down the sleeve's or if the gloves just leaked as many do (like mine).

Cheers

Depends on how cold/wet weather you'll be riding in is - will the gloves need to have a layer of insulation?

You're best off with a short cuff glove that fits under the cuff of the jacket. Or if you're getting gauntlet gloves you need ones which aren't enormous/have bits sticking out of them.

I have the Klim Badlands GTX long glove and they fit under ok. no strain on the zips, or any issues. But TBH most the time i wear the Klim Adventure GTX and add wear some Rukka Offwind Infinium inner gloves to help with warmth.

Depends on how cold/wet weather you'll be riding in is - will the gloves need to have a layer of insulation?

You're best off with a short cuff glove that fits under the cuff of the jacket. Or if you're getting gauntlet gloves you need ones which aren't enormous/have bits sticking out of them.

I have the Klim Badlands GTX long glove and they fit under ok. no strain on the zips, or any issues. But TBH most the time i wear the Klim Adventure GTX and add wear some Rukka Offwind Infinium inner gloves to help with warmth.

Thanks for that, to be honest i dont ride in the depths of winter but i was out a couple of weeks ago for a service and it was 4/5 degrees early in the morning and later in the day i got absolutely drenched. The gloves were hit and miss and were on the cold side and they wetted out. The carlsbad jacket and trousers were good, with a duck down in the jacket, other than the trousers let damp in around the groin area. Given they were 10 days old i got a replacement pair from sportsbike shop, cant fault SP shop at all.

Thats interesting about the GTX long gloves as those were on my list but i'm waiting for new stock to come in. The gloves are eye wateringly expensive but if they do the job then so be it as i've lost count of waterproof gloves i've had that aren't really. Thats an interesting combination on the adventure GTX and rukka i'll keep that in mind and might probably be an alternative. I've tended to just carry two sets of gloves in the past, a warm pair for the chilly mornings and some mesh gloves for when things heat up. I've just invested in the induction perforated gloves, great quality but i have't tested them in heat yet.

Thanks again for the feedback.

In which case both gloves should do you fine. I rarely use the Badlands as i find the combination of the GTX & inners more than enough - especially in cold rain its a good layer of insulation.

The Badlands are supremely comfortable and you don't lose any tactility which is a bonus. Whilst they are pricey, I feel like they 'justify' the price with how good they are.

Slightly concerning? review of "waterproof" gloves - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s_bCmahsa1A

I have 2 Carlsbad jackets (one a size up for winter) but haven't ridden them in heavy rain - good to hear yours appears to have worked, as I was a bit concerned about the long zip on the chest vent/pocket. It doesn't have the same construction as the other waterproof zips....I guess it must be a Ri-Ri Aquazip or similar.

Its different riding in rain vs dunking your hand in a tub of water. I'd not read too much into that test.

The jackets are fine in wet weather, never had an issue with any zip or vent letting in water in the 2 years i've had with it. The pocket does have a slither of material behind it which runs the length of it, which i guess channels the water down, and out/through the material of the jacket.

I only rode the the heavy rain because i had to with the service booked but it was as good a test as you'd get for a jacket. The zips stood up well and i'd be confident yours would do the same, you have the lifetime guarantee behind the jacket anyways but i'd take that to mean reasonable life rather than til i'm not around. Its a Gore-Tex product and they take waterproofing seriously so if you have any problems i'm sure it would get sorted but you would probably have to wait while the jacket goes off for testing and repair.

The jacket has so far delivered half of what i wanted which was the ability to layer up and keep warm when its cold and wet, the other half was about the venting as i wanted something with lots of air to use on hottish days up until i need to get the mesh suit out. I cant test the venting side yet, as its too cold. It will be interesting to find out at what temperature it starts to get uncomfortable.

Klim have been making these jackets for years and take quality and performance seriously so I would have faith in the jacket until it lets you know otherwise.

The only weak spot i found wasn't the suit but lack of protection around the neck area and my neck tube got soaked but not enough to run down inside the jacket. Following that i've now bought the klim torrent waterproof neck tube so i'll see how that performs next time i hit rain. I notice oxford do something similar which no doubt works just as well and is far cheaper.

Back
Top Bottom