Knocked Over

BBB888

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
Xcountry must have been knocked over on bike bay today - came out to find parked at a 90 degree angle across bay. Had a look and saw some gravel rash on right hand Barkbuster. I was parked on end of bay so guessing someone reversed into the bike pushing her over onto RHS. Anyway, fired up and rode off and then found repeated stalling at low revs, off power etc approaching junctions. Just wondered if there is a tip-over cut off system which needs resetting? Started fine, ran fine with auto choke on but then once choke off kept stalling. Fires up again but then conks out unless i get on the throttle quickly. So I have lost tickover it seems. Any suggestions? Its a good temporary cure for my juddery clutch as i now have to slip it from far higher revs to avoid stalling!
Luckily seems no damage other than grazed Barkbuster.
Oh, and the offside rear indicator bulb has gone and I have the fast flash on dashboard to tell me. Not sure if that is a result of being knocked over or an electrical fault resulting from being knocked over and then blown the bulb....
Think I need to find someone more expert on the Xcountry than me and have a thorough going through.

Couple of quick observations:
Poor idle - do the throttle reset procedure. Several threads on it, but in essence with the ignition off do five full twists of the throttle, switch ignition on, let it complete initial checks then start it without touching the throttle.
Indicator bulbs are easy to change. Undo the one small scree by the tip of the lens, remove and replace.
Good luck

Thanks. The joys of living in the city. I’ll give throttle reset a go. Just sees odd that this should happen just after being knocked over, was fine beforehand.

Throttle reset requires the ignition to be turned on!

1. Turn on ignition, touch nothing! Let it go through the motions...
2. Twist throttle from closed to open slowly, twist throttle both ways, don't let it spring back. Do this three times.
3. Turn ignition off and wait 30 seconds.
4. Turn ignition on and let it go through the motions... press starter, but do not twist throttle! You should be back to normal.

When starting, you must avoid moving thr throttle, so I always start by pressing the button with my fingertip, not my thumb with my hand resting on the throttle, you can inadvertently move the throttle if you do it that way. Hand off and press with fingertip, no chance of buggering it up!

Thanks. I usually press starter without touching anything and let it tickover whilst I put helmet and gloves on. Guessing this Throttle reset/idle issue (if that is the issue) may have been the result of being knocked over. Watch this space......

Thanks. I usually press starter without touching anything and let it tickover whilst I put helmet and gloves on. Guessing this Throttle reset/idle issue (if that is the issue) may have been the result of being knocked over. Watch this space......

Fingers crossed. They seem complicated but they are actually a fairly simple and very robust engine. They are used in other applications and proven reliable. Rotax are an excellent engine builder.

Back
Top Bottom