Less than amusing off...

If the gearbox tightened up it could feel like loss of power, and even with the clutch in it still locks the wheel. When it's cooled it all seems good again?
It moved OK seconds few later, when the guys picked it up off the road...

Ask Steptoe then, to diagnose
Yeah, was getting to the A3 to go to the bloody dentist when this happened. Not massively keen to re-create the happenings on a packed three-laner at high speeds...

Sorry to hear - once 'off' you were otherwise truly blessed.

Given the warm up period involved, it sounds like the HES.

I sounds like a transient fault which you may never be able to reproduce, or find the root cause.

I’ve had a couple of un commanded shut downs on my 1150 over the many years of ownership. Fortunately I was quick to respond with the clutch. Once stationary the bike fired up first time and the rest of the journey was uneventful, though naturally my confidence in the bike had taken a set back.

Whilst wandering aimlessly around this parish recently, some time in the last two months or so, I saw and read thru / glanced over a thread of a similar event.
Steptoe did comment and it was something about carbon coking up one of the cylinders.
That is all all that I remember.
As you are in proximity to Steptoe, could well be worth the follow up.

I binned one of my R1100GS's in light snow while pulling into a passing space for an oncoming car.... The simple action of changing down while trying to slow without the brakes locked the rear wheel sideways and then highsided me when it found something grippy. You may have been pulling onto gravel or similar but I doubt this would happen on grippy tarmac even in the rain. If the fuel was not getting through though the already anchor like engine braking could have been a lock up however as Oilheads have epic engine braking as standard.

Back
Top Bottom