Let’s share some positive BMW 1200 GS/A (TC) Hexhead stories

Nando654321

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
Hi All

I totally understand that inherently Forums are used to talk through lots of issues and how to fix them, with useful advice etc coming from all over this and other Forums.

However, sometimes I think it is good to have some threads which reminds us just how good x y z bike is, else people can inherently think “oh wow those bikes have tonnes of problems!”

So I’ll start and feel free to add yours;

Friday to Sunday booked for a nice long weekend to near Luxemburg and back.

Cue around 475kms from my house to the hotel by Friday night. In part rain. On Friday late at night I receive a text from the wife, daughter has to go to hospital. So it’s 475kms on Saturday back home for me (with an apologies to my biking group but luckily it’s 6 of us), in October cold ish weather.

Journey done returning back home on Saturday, I then have lots of driving around as you can imagine. So I end up doing 950kms on the bike in 2 days and then some driving around on Saturday night at the end of those 2 days…

My BMW 1200 GSA (2012) with 56k miles on the clock did an incredible job. In short, that kind of thing is exactly what our bikes are made for. I filled up right at the start of the return trip and didn’t fill up until I was on the UK side of the journey, which enabled me to hammer the miles on the French / Belgium side. The protection we get while sitting on our big GS/A bikes means the cold was easier to cope with and more importantly, I just wasn’t as tired as I should be.

That doesn’t mean I was ready for a football match on Saturday, but it does mean that after a quick shower to warm up I was ready to go, something that would have been doable but totally exhausting after any of my previous bikes.

I am sure people may also be considering proper tourers as well as our bikes when buying - what I would say is that the GSA enables me to do touring, while also being fun at the windy roads and able to do dirty trail roads (no way am I saying motocross trails by the way). Another big plus is “ease of entry”, we don’t have lots of panels covering everything, so we have easier entry. Being the 1200 GSA from the 2010-2012 period means my bike benefits from extra hp, torque, twin cam and a host of reliability improvements. It’s not “Japanese Bombproof”, but it’s not bad and when it needs work, it’s far far cheaper than the new host of GS/A out there.

For my long 110 miles in a day work commute mixed with one off long miles weekend trips, I struggle to find a bike better for the job. Although if I still did a track day here or there, then this is totally unsuitable let’s not kid ourselves. Still, for my kind of riding now this really is a difficult package to beat. I reckon it’s here to stay for a while yet.

Feedback welcome.

Attachments

• IMG_5460.jpeg
    IMG_5460.jpeg
    226 KB · Views: 53
  • IMG_5462.jpeg
    IMG_5462.jpeg
    181.5 KB · Views: 52
  • IMG_5472.jpeg
    IMG_5472.jpeg
    253.7 KB · Views: 53
  • IMG_5475.jpeg
    IMG_5475.jpeg
    200.1 KB · Views: 53
  • IMG_5480.jpeg
    IMG_5480.jpeg
    345.8 KB · Views: 57
I rode 4,700 miles in 2 weeks up to Estonia and back early September. Apart from a top up of oil at 4,000 miles it was perfect.
140,000 miles on my 06 adventure now.

I wish I hadn't wasted £11k on "upgrading" to my 1250GSA, the old Hex GSA I had was all the bike I ever needed.

EDIT: Just checked the online MOT status of my old 58 plate Hexhead whose reg ends in KLP (my daughters initials), its now on 61,000 miles from the roughly 50k I part-ex'd it at, so I'm pleased to see its still out there getting well ridden. Its a great bike and will serve its new owner well.

Last edited:
I have a 08 GS SC since 2016 and its all the bike I need just had two batteries in that time and done all the servicing myself. done many tours in UK and Europe . and to be honest I really cant find anything I would want to replace it with. (y)

I really like the way these bikes will munch the boring miles to get you somewhere. Then when you strip off the luggage, your left with what is a slim, lightweight and manoeuvrable bike (not quite sure the 1150 matches up to this...just my opinion after also owning one!), which allows you to have some fun along easy tracks and get around locally. Then load it up again and cover more boring miles...in almost all weathers.

The GSA offers much better weather protection than it might look. And the only real answer to the cold is electricity...

Sent from my SM-G975F using Tapatalk

My main bike is a 2007GSA.

I wasn't gentle with it, including an attempt to drown it, that costed me a pretty penny and saw me shipping the bike to Italy to get it fixed, to then fly there and ride it back a few months after.
Yes, I had to get done a lot of extra-maintenance and fixes on it but, again, it didn't have a super easy life.

Bike is currently around 75k miles. Looks a bit tatty, so planning some stripping and repainting maybe this winter. I am emotionally attached to it, so hope it lasts many more miles. I sometimes think about replacing it with something newer, but cannot do it. :)

Some stills over the years (I'll spare you the videos for now :D ) :

Recovery after hydrolocking:
affogato.jpg

Clutch. Some might recognise this shop :)
rear.jpg

Front frame straightening, this was a couple of years ago or more:
front.jpg

Italy, service + rear bearings.
alberto.jpg

Brands Indy:
brands.jpg

Pyrenees
pir.jpg

Parpillon
parp.jpg

Cadwell in pouring rain
cadwell.jpg

London innit
snow.jpg

Pyrenees, still (this is one of the cover images for this very site)
les.jpg

Salisbury Plains
plains.jpg

Easiest way to park a GS
ucciso.jpg

Wales, last summer... had to skip this year sadly...
gs-wales-down.jpg

Salisbury Plains, again, June this year (last time I properly used the bike).
plains-june22.jpg

They're good, honest, bikes.

Last edited:
I rode 4,700 miles in 2 weeks up to Estonia and back early September. Apart from a top up of oil at 4,000 miles it was perfect.
140,000 miles on my 06 adventure now.
140k miles!!!

Wow, we may have a local winner here on mileage. Makes my 56k an amateur mileage 🤣

I wish I hadn't wasted £11k on "upgrading" to my 1250GSA, the old Hex GSA I had was all the bike I ever needed.

EDIT: Just checked the online MOT status of my old 58 plate Hexhead whose reg ends in KLP (my daughters initials), its now on 61,000 miles from the roughly 50k I part-ex'd it at, so I'm pleased to see its still out there getting well ridden. Its a great bike and will serve its new owner well.
Yes I’ve heard that a few times…

Yes the extra hp is fun, but the warranty headaches must be a pain

I wasn't gentle with it, including an attempt to drown it, that costed me a pretty penny and saw me shipping the bike to Italy to get it fixed, to then fly there and ride it back a few months after.
Yes, I had to get done a lot of extra-maintenance and fixes on it but, again, it didn't have a super easy life.

Bike is currently around 75k miles. Looks a bit tatty, so planning some stripping and repainting maybe this winter. I am emotionally attached to it, so hope it lasts many more miles. I sometimes think about replacing it with something newer, but cannot do it. :)

affogato.jpg

rear.jpg

front.jpg

alberto.jpg

Brands Indy:
brands.jpg

Pyrenees
pir.jpg

Parpillon
parp.jpg

Cadwell in pouring rain
cadwell.jpg

London innit
snow.jpg

les.jpg

Salisbury Plains
plains.jpg

Easiest way to park a GS
ucciso.jpg

gs-wales-down.jpg

plains-june22.jpg

Now THAT really is someone using their one bike for absolutely EVERYTHING!!!

Great to see.

Some great pics in there Er-minio

As above, you've had proper good use of that moto in 56k milles

I think it's probably emotionally attached to you as well after all that

Sent from my SM-G975F using Tapatalk

As above, you've had proper good use of that moto in 56k milles
56?
Did I buy it off you? :) I think ~19k miles is what the bike had on when I bought it.

Btw, the extra mechanical issues I've had amount roughly to (the bigger tickets):

- water ingestion shortly after buying = engine cleanup + new flywheel/clutch assembly and some work done on the heads
- serviced the Ohlins shocks twice (last time was September 2022)
- final drive bearings
- telelever uni-joint
- shaft broke while traveling on the A1... new shaft, boot, rear swing arm... and a new pair of pants :D
- straightened front frame after (couple of years after) booping a car in a roundabout :D
- another clutch change (did a lot of London traffic at some point - avoiding that now)
- one of the left cylinder head bolts stripped the threads in the engine block. kept it "as is" for about 2 or 3 years... got it fixed last September, cyclinder off, etc.

Three batteries :D
Ohlins shock might have played their part into the early demise of the shaft drive. The bike is a bit taller than stock.

I've done a fair amount of water crossings after that initial mishap years ago. I'm getting better at it :)

Last edited:
Great reading all these stories and some high miles covered so shows if looked after what a great package these are.

I’m now on my forth, had all types. 2011 basic GS with no toys, it was very vibey and only had 7k on it. Grip puppies and Rox anti-vibe mounts sorted it.

Then a 2012 GSA triple black (wish I hadn’t sold it) lovely bike with everything and had just 2k on it when I bought it. No vibrations from it but I did fit AF-Xied units.

Sold it for a cheaper Sprint GT 1050 but missed the beemers, so swapped to a 2009 RT from this parish lovely bike. It needed a remap and it transformed it.

Then back to an early 2010 GS, required final drive rebuild thanks to mikeyboy he sorted it.

Then during this ownership took out a brand new at the time 2021 R1250GSA with about 1k miles on it. Nice bike but just didn’t gel, had it out a good few hours and just thought too much electronics and molly codling especially on single track roads, felt unnerving at times. Actually stated it to the garage when went back and salesman was in agreement and had a laugh. Also the bloody price just doesn’t justify it for me.

So back on another GS this time a 2011 with all the toys and over £7k bent spent recently.

They are just lovely bikes and I’m going to try my best to hold onto this one this time.

Last edited:

affogato.jpg

rear.jpg

front.jpg

alberto.jpg

Brands Indy:
brands.jpg

Pyrenees
pir.jpg

Parpillon
parp.jpg

Cadwell in pouring rain
cadwell.jpg

London innit
snow.jpg

les.jpg

Salisbury Plains
plains.jpg

Easiest way to park a GS
ucciso.jpg

gs-wales-down.jpg

plains-june22.jpg

Best technique I ever learned for picking up any bike including a GSA was pull the handlebars as far forward on downed side, bend the knees and up she comes so easy. In fact few weeks back I passed a lad on at superduke that had fallen over in lay-by, stopped and went over to help and showed him. Thanks to the old off reading course for that little gem..

gsatc.jpg
2010 TC 30yr I had for approx 4 years and sold it with 47k on the clock still running like a swiss watch. I sold it for roughly what I paid when I bought it although I added some extras. Great bike but after 3 GS's fancied something different. A rare one without ABS and Elec suspension etc which it took forever to find! I kept it spotless and always washed, polished and covered with ACF 50 when needed. Travelled a fair few miles on the bike across different countries and it didnt let me down.

Should have kept my 2011 gsa I owned from new, non esa, non abs but all the other bits on it including Maxton shocks, I downgraded to a 2014 gsa te lc ( the turd) and since then a further 2017 gsa and then a 2021 1250gsa.

If I had not got rid of the 2011 bike I would have saved a shit loads of money

Should have kept my 2011 gsa I owned from new, non esa, non abs but all the other bits on it including Maxton shocks

If I had not got rid of the 2011 bike I would have saved a shit loads of money

There you go
We would all be a lot like you have stated
That’s why I am keeping my 1150 Adv’s - both fully sorted with non abs and Ohlins & Sargent seats

Back
Top Bottom