Looking for Aix-les-bains/Chambery hotel with secure parking and half decent food

SiRich

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
Wanting somewhere to stay Aix-les-bains/Chambery for a 1 night stay with somewhere secure to park the bike from prying eyes overnight. Could anyone suggest/reccommend anywhere please? Ideally if they also do half decent food at the hotel.

==========

Title edited, just to narrow it down from ‘Alps’ hotel wanted.

Richard

Last edited by a moderator:
Stayed at this place a few times, used to use it as a base for the Geneva motor show

Domaine de Marlioz -Aix-les-Bains

There are 2 hotels, depending on your budget, à Mercure and an Ibis Styles, which share a spa center in between the two

The car park is behind the hotels away from the road out of sight

It’s just a couple of minutes walk into the town center for restaurants, don’t think I’ve eaten in the hotel

Thanks for that suggestion, like the look of those

Best western Alexandra park chambery handy for main road thru to Albertville resto Is ok parking inside barrier but not secure
Used many times with loaded car no issues yet!
Big shopping precinct nearby with buffalo grill and macd plus inter sport

I stayed my one night in Chambery at the Hotel des Princes, right in the centre. My bike, I parked outside, with a disc lock. It was still there in the morning. The staff were very friendly to me, a biker.

IMG_3719.jpeg

Not keen on parking in any city centre, but around the Alps crime seems pretty low, know a guy who leads a bunch of guys around every year - has done so for @25 years, 20-40 bikes - never a theft or damage.

Cannot remember where now, it may be Interlaken, anyway, some big town or city we noted had a huge bike dealership and just left bikes on display outside overnight when they were shut, if it were London or any other UK city the whole fucking lot would of been gone before the sun came up the following day.

In cities I do go for onsite parking, but not necessarily gates / secure, a couple of years back stayed in Saint Quentin and Hotel car park was though an archway in a courtyard - that will do for me, on a bust street I always feel a bit more risk of drunken yoof knocking it over, or drunk driver pranging it - maybe highly unlikely, but stick around the back of a Hotel and its not in clear view, pissheads don't walk by it etc.

I stayed my one night in Chambery at the Hotel des Princes, right in the centre. My bike, I parked outside, with a disc lock. It was still there in the morning. The staff were very friendly to me, a biker.

View attachment 311747
Did you call ahead, to confirm whether they have had a pound of butter in their fridge?

Wanting somewhere to stay Aix-les-bains/Chambery for a 1 night stay with somewhere secure to park the bike from prying eyes overnight. Could anyone suggest/reccommend anywhere please? Ideally if they also do half decent food at the hotel.

==========

Title edited, just to narrow it down from ‘Alps’ hotel wanted.

Richard
Look on booking.com for somewhere with parking.

I wouldn't leave it on a street overnight, ive looked on booking.com for parking but that can be a bit hit and miss - I actually like l'iroko hotel wise , its in a nice spot with a good pub over the road, first stayed about fifteen years ago when I was on a gsxr1000, but its just an open carpark round the back so trying to find something a bit more secure if possible.

Im booked in Saint Quentin, le Florence on my first night , another ive stayed at many times, it is a courtyard I think they also lock the gates at night so that will do me.

- I actually like l'iroko hotel wise , its in a nice spot with a good pub over the road, first stayed about fifteen years ago when I was on a gsxr1000, but its just an open carpark round the back so trying to find something a bit more secure if possible.

Here is the target to beat, in Aix les Bains:

IMG_4363.jpeg

We have just had two nights of ‘open car park, around the back’ parking in France. Touch wood, with one more night to go, the butter in the fridge is holding out :D:beerjug:

Last edited:
Streetview is the best option to find gated car parks like this gem in Chambery. Japanese buffet restaurant across the road in a high class neighbourhood https://maps.app.goo.gl/PHxGSMQgJwQyZrxN6

Sometimes, one has to balance security with self respect, and compromise...

Streetview is the best option to find gated car parks like this gem in Chambery. Japanese buffet restaurant across the road in a high class neighbourhood https://maps.app.goo.gl/PHxGSMQgJwQyZrxN6

Sometimes, one has to balance security with self respect, and compromise...

What could be better after a long day on the steed, making progress….arrive at your destination , secure your steed with 18 ground anchors then pop over the road for the local alpine delicacy of raw eel wrapped in seaweed.

Bookmarked, ta

What could be better after a long day on the steed, making progress….arrive at your destination , secure your steed with 18 ground anchors then pop over the road for the local alpine delicacy of raw eel wrapped in seaweed.

Bookmarked, ta

it could only be beaten by finding one of those F1 places with a secure compound, next to an O'Taco where one could experience the delicacy known as a French Taco. I believe this now national treat was originally presented to the gourmands of the Savoie area in the Rhone Alpes, by an enterprising Moroccan gentleman. Chambery is of course in Savoie so it would be good to experience this nationally regarded meal in its native terroir. The French have such magnificent dining opportunities.

Skiff pub in aix-les-bains sounds to have gone downhill reading trip advisor so gone with Mercure Chambery , reasonable price and underground parking, No butter required! thanks for the suggestions

it could only be beaten by finding one of those F1 places with a secure compound, next to an O'Taco where one could experience the delicacy known as a French Taco. I believe this now national treat was originally presented to the gourmands of the Savoie area in the Rhone Alpes, by an enterprising Moroccan gentleman. Chambery is of course in Savoie so it would be good to experience this nationally regarded meal in its native terroir. The French have such magnificent dining opportunities.

We have an O’Taco in our town, opened recently

We eat fairly regularly in a local Mexican restaurant (run by an actual Mexican woman) which is great, so I thought I’d give the fast food version a try

Oh dear, not sure how long they’ll stay open :barf

We have an O’Taco in our town, opened recently

We eat fairly regularly in a local Mexican restaurant (run by an actual Mexican woman) which is great, so I thought I’d give the fast food version a try

Oh dear, not sure how long they’ll stay open :barf

they seem very popular with lots of similar type places across the country. Maybe you aren't in the target demographic? I had one in Bellegarde-Sur-Valserine on a Sunday as the local kebab shop was the only place open for food. Before the days of the internet and we just dropped into this town about 6pm, assuming we would find somewhere to stay. The local Logis was locked up but eventually we roused the owner. Seems it was an industrial town on the Rhone and the hotel only had business customers on weekdays. That was near where the "French Taco" was invented and it seems 25 years later the youth of France are embracing fast food akin to the filthy muck seen in the USA.

Back
Top Bottom