Looking to become an Interceptor owner

Back now and the deed is done. Took one out for a short test ride, didn't go mad on cold tyres and the Cotswold back roads were wet and muddy but it was enough for me to feel happy to order one., deposit paid. It comes with the factory discount of £900 plus £150 OTR, so an excellent saving.

I went for the Sunset Strip colour scheme, black and red tank with a gold stripe, to me it looks really classy. It is a 23 bike with wire wheels. The 24 models with the cast alloy wheels just do not look right.

I will take ownership at the start of February, happy days, finally scratched the itch.
Nice one Your Lordship. The Sunset Strip is the fastest model as well :D

I enjoy mine immensely, but did replace standard shocks with a pair of Hagons, and fitted bar risers as well. I'm almost at 5000 miles now which is quite low for two years ownership and have recently replaced the Indian made CEAT tyres for a pair of Bridgestone BT46, and also fitted a pair of Enfield Precision silencers. Hitchcocks are a good source for parts and accessories.

Nice one Your Lordship. The Sunset Strip is the fastest model as well :D

I enjoy mine immensely, but did replace standard shocks with a pair of Hagons, and fitted bar risers as well. I'm almost at 5000 miles now which is quite low for two years ownership and have recently replaced the Indian made CEAT tyres for a pair of Bridgestone BT46, and also fitted a pair of Enfield Precision silencers. Hitchcocks are a good source for parts and accessories.
Thanks Al, the budget rear suspension will be targeted for replacement in due course as from what I've watched on YouTube this makes a big difference. Luckily, Hitchcocks is not too far from me so I will be paying a visit in Springtime. What difference did the bar risers make to the comfort?

It’s not just the rear suspension, the front is best described as being lacking but easily upgraded.

Another tip is to book the first service before collecting the bike because I think it’s only 300 miles and they need to check valve clearances. Going in to collect the bike and being told the first available slot is weeks away isn’t a smile generator.

Thanks Al, the budget rear suspension will be targeted for replacement in due course as from what I've watched on YouTube this makes a big difference. Luckily, Hitchcocks is not too far from me so I will be paying a visit in Springtime. What difference did the bar risers make to the comfort?
I found I was leaning forward just a bit too much with the standard bars. I have a damaged wrist and I like as much weight off it as possible. I fitted the Motone risers that Stuart Fillingham used on his Interceptor. If you've not already seen his You Tube channel it's well worth a look.
I forgot to mention that I also fitted progressive fork springs, these with the Hagons have improved the ride and handling, not that it was particularly bad, but being a bat fastard the suspension needs all the help I can give it :D

The thing I keep in my mind is that it’s a Harris designed frame so the actual geometry of it should be good. If my theory is correct then messing with the suspension should pay dividends so my intention is to put cartridges in along with progressive springs so I can get some adjustment and then set up the sag.

I like it because it’s like going back to a 1970s parallel twin but with better parts available for improving it. I loved my old XS2 Yamaha but back then you could do loads to get more power out of it but the technology for better suspension wasn’t there and neither were decent tyres.

35 years ago …Fixing a puncture in the pissing rain ,dark,middle of nowhere , Ireland….
Vowed ….Never ever buy a bike with tubed tyres again …. 8 bikes later never have done

35 years ago …Fixing a puncture in the pissing rain ,dark,middle of nowhere , Ireland….
Vowed ….Never ever buy a bike with tubed tyres again …. 8 bikes later never have done
That's a small concern for me. In an attempt to mitigate the disruption and inconvenience caused by such a mishap I have the green slime stuff in the tubes, and also carry an inner tube that fits both the front and rear. I've no intention of repairing a puncture at the side of the road, the inner tube is in case the breakdown company take me to a tyre repair facility and they don't have the correct size tube in stock. I only use the Interceptor for days out and knocking around locally, so with a mobile phone and breakdown/recovery service I'm not letting the inner tube issue put me off the bike.
My V85TT is a different matter, It's running on tubeless tyres so I carry a repair kit and tyre inflator.

I’m genuinely not concerned about punctures. I’ve been riding motorbikes since 1975 and most of them had tubes. You’ve got far more chance of getting a tubed tyre repaired than a tubeless one and my experiences with using repair kits is that they work about 75% of the time whereas a new tube works 100% of the time.

That's a small concern for me. In an attempt to mitigate the disruption and inconvenience caused by such a mishap I have the green slime stuff in the tubes, and also carry an inner tube that fits both the front and rear. I've no intention of repairing a puncture at the side of the road, the inner tube is in case the breakdown company take me to a tyre repair facility and they don't have the correct size tube in stock. I only use the Interceptor for days out and knocking around locally, so with a mobile phone and breakdown/recovery service I'm not letting the inner tube issue put me off the bike.
My V85TT is a different matter, It's running on tubeless tyres so I carry a repair kit and tyre inflator.
That sounds like a decent plan(y)..... I do precisely as you with your V85 ..repair kit and inflator

As a mechanic equivalent of a fuckwit I’ve always been pretty chuffed with myself having sorted a puncture in a tubed wheel.

The worst one was the second of two in Mexico. Luckily there was a lay-by to pull in to…unluckily there was a dead dog that was fairly ripe. No shade either!

I am due to collect the Interceptor tomorrow but I have postponed it as I am full of cold and snot.

I have been busy on Facebook Marketplace as there are several Royal Enfield groups selling aftermarket stuff. So I've found the DNA filter and also the complete TEC lighting kit for really good prices. I'm hoping to pick the Inty up early next week when hopefully I will have shaken this virus off.

I am due to collect the Interceptor tomorrow but I have postponed it as I am full of cold and snot.

I have been busy on Facebook Marketplace as there are several Royal Enfield groups selling aftermarket stuff. So I've found the DNA filter and also the complete TEC lighting kit for really good prices. I'm hoping to pick the Inty up early next week when hopefully I will have shaken this virus off.
aha, Lord Snotty. Good luck with the new bike.

Love the cast wheel on mine

Attachments

• IMG_5245.jpeg
    IMG_5245.jpeg
    303.3 KB · Views: 65
  • IMG_5243.jpeg
    IMG_5243.jpeg
    307.8 KB · Views: 54
  • IMG_5252.jpeg
    IMG_5252.jpeg
    316.6 KB · Views: 45
  • IMG_5249.jpeg
    IMG_5249.jpeg
    316.9 KB · Views: 70
Here it is! Had a very pleasant ride back to Redditch via the Cotswolds, Honeybourne, Bidford on Avon. First impressions - lovely smooth gearbox, brakes are more than adequate, comfortable riding position but the seat is very hard - will be looking for a softer alternative. I took it easy due to new tyres and bedding the brakes in but I had a big grin on my chops. Love the twin analogue gauges, proper old school.

Checked the rear suspension when I got home and both shocks seem to be set on the softest setting so I will have a bit of a play with them. Have booked the first service in for February 29th so will be looking to get out to get the mileage up.

Over the next day or so I will fit the Optimate fly lead, my Garmin mount and the DNA air filter.

Great service from Ben at Watsonian-Squire, my only minor grip is that they did not fit my Oxford grips into a switched circuit so I need to remember to switch them off whenever I stop.

Attachments

• IMG-20240206-WA0001.jpg
    IMG-20240206-WA0001.jpg
    193 KB · Views: 56
  • IMG-20240206-WA0002.jpg
    IMG-20240206-WA0002.jpg
    115.6 KB · Views: 56
  • IMG-20240206-WA0003.jpg
    IMG-20240206-WA0003.jpg
    139.3 KB · Views: 55
  • IMG-20240206-WA0006.jpg
    IMG-20240206-WA0006.jpg