Low Rider ST

How loud is the exhaust now?
I’ve got a sport glide, but don’t like LOUD exhausts, and wondered how much louder than stock that system is

Well, it's really not massively loud. Like you, I am not a fan of stupidly loud exhausts. It's more "beefy" than loud. I still have dB reducer in the end can as the tuning shop I use says it makes a little more torque with it in. This pipe also has a catalytic converter in it.

All in all, I like it. Sounds great, but not annoyingly loud.

I got the forward controls on last week, and have spent a few hours adjusting them to get them dialled in properly. There's a lot of adjustment available - 3 inches in total forward or back for the footpeg mounting and the brake and gear levers are almost infinitely adjustable.

I had them too far forward at first as I just have short little legs, but now in the rearmost position they are perfect. And my hip pain is now completely gone. So that's a win!

IMG_3613-XL.jpg

Right hand side

IMG_3615-XL.jpg

Left hand side

IMG_3572-XL.jpg

Here you can see the mount for the pegs - by changing the orientation of the parts, the pegs can be moved further forwards or back - here it is in the middle position

IMG_3617-XL.jpg

And here you can see how the levers themselves can be set at nearly any angle. This is in addition to the adjustment ability via the brake master cylinder pushrod on the brake side and the gear shift connecting rod on the gear side.

Oh. And my post earlier about bags falling off seemed to tempt fate. Last weekend, my RHS bag fell off completely and slid won the road at about 60mph. I can only assume that I hadn't latched it properly when I was putting the manifold and air filter on previously. I am normally pretty anal about that, but its the only explanation I can think of. So.....bummer. But it's in the paint shop now and will be back for the weekend...

IMG_3538-XL.jpg

bummer - forwards look good - is the shifter rod rubbing on the inner primary though?

bummer - forwards look good - is the shifter rod rubbing on the inner primary though?

Obviously it is in the picture where the gear lever isn't connected. In the top picture, it isn't but it is very close when in first. I am thinking about adjusting it a bit.

I took the bike over to Rye yesterday for dyno tuning. The results were 114 HP and 125 ft/lbs Torque at the back wheel. That is around 5HP more, but 2 ft/lbs less on the torque curve up to about 4K, at which point the torque is better. 2 ft/lbs is within atmospheric condition and dyno error and I can't notice it at all.

I think we are now at the limit of what this bike will do with the stock cam, so I need to make a decision on what cam to swap to in the near future. S&S 475, Star 30/30, Jim's MaxCell 821 E and Cyclorama 485 are all still on the list. Boz recommends the S&S475, and he is tuning another very similar bike with it today, so I will see what the results look like soon enough...

And I got the newly repainted bag cover back from the paint shop this morning. It looks brand new, which was the general idea anyway.

Next step coming tomorrow.....S&S475 cam going in along with new S&S precision lifters, S&S tappet cuffs, S&S adjustable push rods, new bearing etc...

And more dyno tuning.

I am hoping for 130 rear wheel HP and 135 ft/lbs of torque or thereabouts. Let's see what tomorrow brings...

In other HD news, I've got a set of Pirelli Road Angel GTII tyres going on the Pan America next Friday morning, then off to Budapest on it on Friday. I will be doing around 8k+ miles European touring this summer and fancied a set of 100% road biased tyres for these trips. I've never tried these tyres before, but they come highly recommended by my tyre shop, and unsurprisingly, they had them in stock.

I am hoping for 130 rear wheel HP and 135 ft/lbs of torque or thereabouts. Let's see what tomorrow brings...
133HP and 133 ft/lbs TQ at the back wheel. Very good result indeed.

Over 120 ft/lbs TQ from under 3K RPM up to 5K RPM, which is exactly where I ride this bike. It was a lot of fun on the way back from Rye.

Back
Top Bottom