Lower rear suspension bolt stripped?

SteveJF

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
My 2011 Hexhead has (partially) stripped the lower rear suspension thread. I am fairly sure it is partially stripped as I've discovered that the wrong bolt has been used previously. It looks like the top mount bolt (M10x1.25 x 65mm)
was used instead of the correct bolt - I have been so lucky not to have the bolt come out and collapse the suspension on me.

I now have the correct bolt, but need to run a tap down. The correct bolt being M10x1.5x80mm according to RealOEM. Not being particularly mechanical (basic service skills only), how best should I tackle this? Remove the Swing arm and find someone competent?

Thoughts, comments and observations welcomed.

I'd say if you can do basic maintenance and remove a swing arm then you can have a go at cleaning up the thread with a tap. A few YT videos and a drop of oil on your tap, keep it square. Try and make sure it is on the right thread when starting, maybe hard enough if it is badly gouged. Half turn in, quarter back once you get it in a bit and nicely square. Gently bentley. It should take very little force to clean up the thread if it is salvageable. Maybe post a pick of the bolt that came out for appraisal.

Once you clean it up fit your new bolt with a bit of thread locker, torque to spec (or a bit less :D).
Good luck.

If you can remove the swingarm then it might be better to helicoil the thread. Running a tap down it is ok to clean up a thread but if it's been partially stripped by the wrong bolt then you will have a weakened fastening. A helicoil will actually give you a stronger than standard finished thread.

If it's stripped there's probably very little thread you can tap, so a helicoil is the way to go.

are you sure its 1.5 pitch?........pretty sure mine was 1.25.

Back
Top Bottom