Make sure you have enough shaping / waypoints in your MyRoute route, so as to prevent a recalculation in a Garmin device..,

Mzokk

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
Just as an add on. On Garmin devices you can use a GPX route created in MyRoute but it needs to be created with quite a few "waypoints" in MyRoute parlance or it may not go "exactly" were you want or had plannedto go :D

========

Cut from a parallel thread. It’s a good reminder that GPX is not always a perfect exchange medium.

It’s also a good reminder to always check any route in your GPS device against the original, irrespective of its source. Sorting out a problem is much easier at home or sat in a hotel or cafe, than in the blazing sun or pouring rain, later in the day.

Richard

Last edited by a moderator:
Good to know. TA :thumb2 Remembering however.....
under off route calculation, switch it to prompted or off.

Now when converting a track to a route, it'll ask if you want to re-calculate as the track goes against route restrictions. And when you open the converted track in the trip planner, it'll warn you that by editing the route it'll default to normal calculations (essentially disregarding your designed route, if there's not a way point at every turn/junction etc).

Just as an add on. On Garmin devices you can use a GPX route created in MyRoute but it needs to be created with quite a few "waypoints" in MyRoute parlance or it may not go "exactly" were you want or had plannedto go :D

That is a potential problem not unique to routes created outside of say, BaseCamp or MapSource.

The mantra is: Have enough MyRoute ‘Waypoints *’ but not too many. MyRoute itself recommends / suggests a Waypoint, roughly every 5 km or so.

* What Garmin calls, via points.

Last edited:
under off route calculation, switch it to prompted or off.

Now when converting a track to a route, it'll ask if you want to re-calculate as the track goes against route restrictions. And when you open the converted track in the trip planner, it'll warn you that by editing the route it'll default to normal calculations (essentially disregarding your designed route, if there's not a way point at every turn/junction etc).
There are sections of my rides usually where I don't mind a little detour or recalculation.
for the road I REALY want to ride I make sure there are waypoints at both ends.

bear in mind that there is a limit of how many waypoints you can use on each device
the ZumoXT has 200 which is plenty, but I'm sure mine is only 30 (Nav6) which sounds like a lot, but on complicated all day routes it not enough.
I split my rides into smaller ones e.g.. House to café, café round scenic route then coffee break

My L plates are still firmly in place with MRA but this was highlighted on a post of mine from a few weeks ago.

At least with the Gold level I found it’s easy to add waypoints using the Tools-Expand option. I did notice that occasionally the waypoints added are not quite in the correct place, but it’s seconds to move them.

As Richard says, you can’t break it.

Or just use MRA on your phone to save this issue arising .
If you don’t want to use your pristine new iPhone then buy an old one just for this purpose.
About 1/10 the price of the latest barely singing , dad-dancing Garmin

At least with the Gold level I found it’s easy to add waypoints using the Tools-Expand option. I did notice that occasionally the waypoints added are not quite in the correct place, but it’s seconds to move them.

Expand is a very useful function in MyRoute but, as above, do check where the app has placed the additional points.

One thing to watch for is that it has not placed one on top of a bridge, as it can confuse things later, when it’s read as being in the road beneath.

Or just use MRA on your phone to save this issue arising .
If you don’t want to use your pristine new iPhone then buy an old one just for this purpose.
About 1/10 the price of the latest barely singing , dad-dancing Garmin

I have an old Samsung S10 for exactly that purpose, bought refurbished and a lot cheaper than an XT. That being said, I do have an XT, too.

One thing to watch out for is that the MyRoute Navifation app is still quite power hungry. Do connect your phone to a reliable power source, preferably the bike.

I have an old Samsung S10 for exactly that purpose, bought refurbished and a lot cheaper than an XT. That being said, I do have an XT, too.

One thing to watch out for is that the MyRoute Navifation app is still quite power hungry. Do connect your phone to a reliable power source, preferably the bike.

But a car would have more power ?
You could get a very long USB cable and have the wife follow you in the cage.
This would be especially handy for new Wankpanzer owners as the wife could carry the luggage they cannot , seeing as BMW fucked up the design of the panniers.
Sorted, natch.

Back
Top Bottom