MikeO's spiffing dash panel and a bit of wiring, oh and some tartyness

Fanum

Toubab
UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
The spots on my GSA were very messily wired up, but I've lived with it until recently.

I then got one of MikeO's splendid dash trims......they come unpainted so I sprayed it black to match, and the world was good.

Apart from the damn wiring.....so I took the panel off and started mucking about :)

First I drilled out a hole for another DIN type socket to match the original on the other side........this one is going to be switch controlled though.
Then I dremelled out a slot for some illuminated rocker switches and an LED voltmeter, which I araldited in place from the back.
You can see from this pic that the LEDs might well be too bright (they're covered in masking tape for protection here) but I have lots of tinted acetate sheets so I can dim it as required later.

DSC00839-L.jpg

The great thing about these panels is they offer a lot of fairly easily accessible space for wiring....so onto the back I ran some conduit to go to Battery pos and neg (red heavy cable and earth coloured cable) plus a block from the ignition feed (Blue)

DSC00843-L.jpg

Then just because I'm a tart (and the dremel skipped across the face :blast) I wrapped the fekker in 3m carbon fibre vinyl

DSC00851-L.jpg

And after testing them, araldited a pair of 30 amp relays in, 3 waterproof inline fuse holders and tested it all out.

DSC00855-L.jpg

Rather than frigging around with a DMM on the bike, I bench tested it all and made the loom the right length.....

Ready to go outside

DSC00904-L.jpg

Bolted on the light bar and popped the conduited loom up through to the dash area

DSC00719-L.jpg

Then eased the dash panel into place, connected up the loom to battery and ignition feeds

DSC00909-L.jpg

And bugger me, it worked :D

The orange switch is for the right hand DIN socket, the left hand blue switch goes via a relay and ignition feed to one set of lights, and the other blue is wired in the same way and will be for the second set of lights I have :) (all I'll have to do is plug two spade connectors onto the relay that's all ready to go and that's it)

I like it :)

DSC00919-XL.jpg

DSC00915-L.jpg

DSC00926-L.jpg

I'll grab a photo at some point when it's dark :)

I spoke to Mike before he buggered off to 'Merika, and he can only order the panels in batches of 5....he has one person waiting so needs another 4 orders to go ahead with another batch, but if you want a way to smarten up the cockpit that lends itself very well to wiring up lights etc etc, I can thoroughly recommend getting one :beerjug:

DSC00913-L.jpg

Fanum, looks good! And the carbon effect seems like s good alternative to a spray job, which was my intention, but now I'm wondering?!

I got one from Mike last year. I'm very time poor these days so haven't fitted it yet, but it's half way through preparation. They look like the part bmw forgot. It finishes off the cockpit perfectly. And yes, somewhere for all those extra switches, I mean sandwiches

Sent from my SM-N910F using Tapatalk

Awesome dude! Definately gonna PM mike for one of they (hopefully a few more folk will too so it makes up the 5).

Where did you get/how did you make the Speedo Surround Ram Mount? First one I've seen.

Awesome dude! Definately gonna PM mike for one of they (hopefully a few more folk will too so it makes up the 5).

Where did you get/how did you make the Speedo Surround Ram Mount? First one I've seen.

Migsel mount (search for the man on this very site)

Looks good very neat and tidy :thumby: pity the same can't be said of your work area :eek::D

:dabone

einsteinifacluttereddeskisasign.jpg

If I did the job again (this is just for info really) I'd use some of the micro relays....It was daft not to actually, as I have three or four sitting around in old 'leccy bits bags :blast

0-727-13-durite-12v-25a-micro-make-and-break-relay-with-diode-2148-p.jpg

you can get neat bases for them as well, and it would be easy to make a common power bus on the base.....I could maybe have fitted a third ISO relay on this one, but I reckon you could fit 5 or 6 micro ones under there so you could switch power to heated vests, GPS, two sets of lights and whatever else you need :)

Hmmmmmmm.....bugger, that's got me thinking :blast

Saucy :thumb2

Very tempted... can I ask what it is you're using for the carbon fibre effect?

3m Carbon fibre wrap......from Ebay ....... I went for the 3m stuff rather than one of the cheaper brands on there after reading up on some of the other stuff not lasting outside very well.

If you want to do any wrapping, I'd seriously recommend checking some of the many videos on You-Tube......they show how to do details, corners and cutouts etc.

It's one of those things that you'll swear at a lot the first time, wishing you had a third or fourth hand, but once you've sussed it, it's a piece of piss :)

I clamped a hair dryer in a vice and stood it on my desk so I could waft my piece around in front of it :)

3m Carbon fibre wrap......from Ebay ....... I went for the 3m stuff rather than one of the cheaper brands on there after reading up on some of the other stuff not lasting outside very well.

If you want to do any wrapping, I'd seriously recommend checking some of the many videos on You-Tube......they show how to do details, corners and cutouts etc.

It's one of those things that you'll swear at a lot the first time, wishing you had a third or fourth hand, but once you've sussed it, it's a piece of piss :)

I clamped a hair dryer in a vice and stood it on my desk so I could waft my piece around in front of it :)

Thanks, good tips especially the hair dryer :thumb2

Currently have a silver replacement beak on my black GSA, has got me thinking whether a carbon wrap on the beak would look good or just be a step too far in the tartiness direction?! :nenau

Thanks, good tips especially the hair dryer :thumb2

Currently have a silver replacement beak on my black GSA, has got me thinking whether a carbon wrap on the beak would look good or just be a step too far in the tartiness direction?! :nenau

Beak extender?

I looked at mine, but decided very much against it....it's a bloody big area to have in CF and I concluded it would just look stupid, even more so if it was the WHOLE beak :nono (JMHO THOUGH)
I did the binnacle cover though, and I really like that :)

Not got a pic with screen back on I'm afraid.

DSC00834-X3.jpg

I thought standards were slipping and nobody had decided to go for the ball I lobbed so high ready to be smashed into the net :D

Switches are not waterproof but worse case scenario if water gets in is that the lights go on when the switch is off. The feed is from ignition and they're only feeding the relay, so not a big deal.....plus where they are, they're barely going to get wet and I've used similar switches in much damper places with no problems :)

£2.19 delivered on Ebay

$_12.JPG

I looked at mine, but decided very much against it....it's a bloody big area to have in CF and I concluded it would just look stupid, even more so if it was the WHOLE beak :nono (JMHO THOUGH)
I did the binnacle cover though, and I really like that :)

Yep I think you're right... moderation is probably the key with this stuff :D

Binnacle cover looks sweet too, phantom Tuareg and all! :thumb2

Why did you put the switches on the right? I'll have to find an orange voltmeter on eBay now though.

Why did you put the switches on the right? I'll have to find an orange voltmeter on eBay now though.

TBH Ian, because the panel already had a circular hole there where I'd stuck in a toggle switch........it was a few MM too wide for plonking the voltmeter into, but I could 'lose' it completely with the two rocker switches cutout. :D

After a week or so of riding with the LED meter on, I can report that it's perfect for bright sunlight......it may still be a little bright for night time, but we'll see.

Oh, and HERE are orange ones, and they're waterproof too :D

Back
Top Bottom