Motobatt or Exide?

batman1

Well-known member
UKGSer Subscriber
Joined
Apr 26, 2013
Messages
1,792
Reaction score
80
Location
North Lincs
My original OEM BMW Exide is knackered.
Do I go for another Exide but the aftermarket ones from Tanya are only 12V - 12Ah
Or the Motobatt 12V - 16Ah?
The OEM Exide is 12V -14Ah

Are Motobatt okay?
Are Exide aftermarket Better?
 
Personally I'd fit a Yuasa YTX14H-BS, which is the heavy duty version of the standard battery - better cold starts and turns the engine over a tad quicker on start - has 240CCA compared to 200CCA of the standard battery. Its what I replaced the Exide of my R1250GS with a couple of years back when the Exide failed and haven't had an issue since. Bought from Tayna.
 
Motobatt gives you more bang for your buck.
Worked for me. Better cranking speed etc.
 
OEM Exide for me, last well and never left me down. Had two Mottabat batteries fail at just over a year each.
 
My OEM exide is 8 yr old now, checked the output a few months ago with a multimeter and it was fine. I was gonna replace but thought why bother if there's nowt wrong with it. I'll be looking for a like for like when the time comes simply because its been rock solid.
 
My OEM exide is 8 yr old now, checked the output a few months ago with a multimeter and it was fine. I was gonna replace but thought why bother if there's nowt wrong with it. I'll be looking for a like for like when the time comes simply because its been rock solid.
Until it fails with no warning lol

Output voltage means nothing, it's it's ability to deliver cranking amps especially at low temperature

It's just a matter of time and distance;)
 
Until it fails with no warning lol

Output voltage means nothing, it's it's ability to deliver cranking amps especially at low temperature

It's just a matter of time and distance;)
Never had an Exide just fail, they give plenty of warning, unlike Motabatt which do seem to just instantly pack up and die.
 
Bit late to the party but 3 Motobatt failures, first two at 13 months when they had a years warranty .
Final one had a 2 year warranty and it was on a bike I bought and failed when it was 20 months old. I had the original receipt but they would notv honour the warranty as I was not the original purchaser.
Local suppliers no longer stock or sell Motobatt due to warranty issues
 
Conversely I have used Motobatt repeatedly on many motorcycles and never had one "just fail" suddenly on me.

YMMV.
 


Back
Top Bottom