My ongoing luggage addiction

Gyp

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
I do worry that I've got an unhealthy addiction to buying luggage for bikes, and a quick tot up before I got the R9T was 2 pairs of twin-shock airhead cases, 1 pair of mono airhead panniers, small mono/K top box, 3 Givi trekkers, a large magnetic tank bag, a Givi clip on tank bag, a Givi Maxia top box, a Givi roll bag, an Ultimate Source tail bag, a Triumph soft pannier and a handlebar bag.

Since adding the R9T things have got worse, as I seem to have collected even more without getting it quite right as yet.

First I bought the BMW tail bag that goes on nicely to the pillion seat. Then, got hold of a Unit Garage rack and Atlas topbox, which gives me lockable space for trips but of course won't fit and the same time as the tail bag.

So then I got hold of a set of SW Motech Legend Gear bags with SLC carriers which seems to be very popular on R9Ts. Fit easily and work with the Atlas box if I need everything together. But I'm not convinced by the look of them when not stuffed full and am not keen on the way the pillion pegs have to be down, and the way RHS one rubs the pillion footrest guard. The combined capacity of less than 24 litres isn't great either. Oh, and when I got those there was another rack bundled into the deal, so that's 2 racks I've got now.

The opportunity came up to grab a pair of SW Motech Urban bags, which clip to the same SLC carriers. Still not huge, but these hold their shape, don't foul the pillion pegs, and I think work nicely with the bike.

kJ7kbnq.jpg

I would have given the new R12 NineT another chance despite having no Telelever But still no factory hardbags and centerstand on the optioms list tells me that BMW does not want my money...LOL Had Hepco-Becker Orbit bags on my 2016 R Nine T but they were too small,no passenger pegs and had flimsy locks...The factory could have done it so much better !

I would have given the new R12 NineT another chance despite having no Telelever But still no factory hardbags and centerstand on the optioms list tells me that BMW does not want my money...LOL Had Hepco-Becker Orbit bags on my 2016 R Nine T but they were too small,no passenger pegs and had flimsy locks...The factory could have done it so much better !

I think they'll have done a lot of market research on what the buyers will actually use the bikes for, worked out how many people want - or more specifically are willing to pay for - those things and decided against.

I suspect the vast majority of people wanting a NineT want it for the style and are going to use it for runs out on sunny Sundays, for which bags and stand aren't top of the list.

Centre stands seem to have disappeared from so many bikes over the years. Their main benefits are for chain maintenance (not on a nineT), access when loading luggage (also not on a nineT) and changing tyres (most likely being done at the dealership these days).

BMW definitely want your money, and happily provide a range of bikes with centrestands and hard bags (F800/900 GS/GSA/XR. R1250 R/RS/RT/GS/GSA, R1300 GS, S1000 XR, K1600 GT/GTL/B/Grand America) but I guess there wasn't likely enough demand from potential nineT buyers to justify the investment in development.

I have given up buying hard luggage as it inevitably ends up sat in a corner doing nothing for 99.9% of the time and cost a fortune. Looking around my garage I now have 4 different rucksacks, a Kreiga tail pack, HG roll bag and multiple inner bags being used to hold lots of other biking kit. I probably have enough to take me anywhere and last the rest of my biking life.

I have given up buying hard luggage as it inevitably ends up sat in a corner doing nothing for 99.9% of the time and cost a fortune. Looking around my garage I now have 4 different rucksacks, a Kreiga tail pack, HG roll bag and multiple inner bags being used to hold lots of other biking kit. I probably have enough to take me anywhere and last the rest of my biking life.

Amateur!

Back
Top Bottom