Nav 6 on a different bike

Mattwprice

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
I am looking to mount the Nav 6 on a different bike so need to find a powered mount that isnt the BMW lump. Looking on t'internet America talks about an AERA 660 mount which looks like it would do the job. Unfortunately its not for sale over here, so perhaps is sold under a different name.

Does anyone have an easy solution that doesn't involve binning the Nav 6 and buying a TOMTOM?

Thanks,

Think I have managed to find my own answer. BMW say that the Zumo 590 / 595 and XT mounts all fit the Nav 6 and the Nav 6 is actually the XT just with BMW software loaded on it. So far prices for a powered 590 mount looking circa £80 which seems pricey for just a mount! Better than the price of a whole new boxed unit though...

=========

Edit:

The XT has a very different mount and connector pins.

The XT is not a Nav 6 with BMW software on it. The XT has no BMW software on it at all and is a very different device.

Last edited by a moderator:
Is it to clamp to the handlebar as a temporary fix or a permanent one?
Reason I ask is I had the same problem when we went to USA last year and rented a bike without NAV mount.
I bought a NAV 6 cradle and fixed it up to a ball joint, extender arm and handlebar clamp. I cut the wires and added a BMW plug fitting for the side power socket next to the Dashboard (Rented a GS) .
This worked fine. I''ll send you a picture of what I did later today / tomorrow. Worked a treat!

I have BMW 4-button mounts on my Guzzi and my CRF300L so I can swap my NAV6 (and Zumo) around as I want. The Zumo fits the BMW 4-button mount no problems.

Attachments

• windermere 26 feb 2022 console.jpg
    windermere 26 feb 2022 console.jpg
    112.5 KB · Views: 120
  • Adv Spec Screen.jpg
    Adv Spec Screen.jpg
    155.3 KB · Views: 125
Think I have managed to find my own answer. BMW say that the Zumo 590 / 595 and XT mounts all fit the Nav 6 and the Nav 6 is actually the XT just with BMW software loaded on it. So far prices for a powered 590 mount looking circa £80 which seems pricey for just a mount! Better than the price of a whole new boxed unit though...

How sure are you that a 590/595 will fit a NAV VI mount? I have a BMW nav prep cradle and a Zumo 595 and they won't fit together. The mounts on the Zumo are about 5 mm too far apart for the BMW cradle.

How sure are you that a 590/595 will fit a NAV VI mount? I have a BMW nav prep cradle and a Zumo 595 and they won't fit together. The mounts on the Zumo are about 5 mm too far apart for the BMW cradle.

Thats interesting. BMW Motorrad say it will fit. Maybe try the same with an xt as I know someone with one of those.

I have BMW 4-button mounts on my Guzzi and my CRF300L so I can swap my NAV6 (and Zumo) around as I want. The Zumo fits the BMW 4-button mount no problems.

Looks a great but expensive solution?

Is it to clamp to the handlebar as a temporary fix or a permanent one?
Reason I ask is I had the same problem when we went to USA last year and rented a bike without NAV mount.
I bought a NAV 6 cradle and fixed it up to a ball joint, extender arm and handlebar clamp. I cut the wires and added a BMW plug fitting for the side power socket next to the Dashboard (Rented a GS) .
This worked fine. I''ll send you a picture of what I did later today / tomorrow. Worked a treat!

Also sounds like an expensive solution

Thats interesting. BMW Motorrad say it will fit. Maybe try the same with an xt as I know someone with one of those.

Looking on Garmin website the back of the XT is like a recessed square so seems unlikely would fit the Nav6

Here's a photo of the Zumo 595 and BMW mounting cradles side-by-side. It's not completely clear from the photo but the Zumo mount has about 6mm more between the claps than the BMW item. Even removing the BMW mount from the nav prep fittings the Zumo won't fit.

Attachments

• IMG_20230217_172609322.jpg
    IMG_20230217_172609322.jpg
    221.6 KB · Views: 113

I don’t think this is right. IIRC the XT and Nav6 are completely unrelated and the mountings are totally different.

The easiest way to use a Nav6 on multiple bikes is just to mount a BMW cradle on the other bikes. They’re easily available, cheap and easy to fit. I have the 4-button version on my Multistrada.

I bought a BMW 4 button cradle and powered it straight of the battery of my Honda via a fused link.
Works a treat with my NAV6 - the cradle was £50 off here, with a £25 mount also off here (that I modified).

Just buy a secondhand (or new) four button mount and some suitable gubbins to attach it to your second bike. Job done. Or do as GrantMac did and use just one mount but with a break in the power lead, so that you can power it from two separate bikes.

Don’t want the ‘BMW lump’? Get hold of the car mount and, with a bit of light imagination, adapt that to suit.

Or take the mount shown in post #11 and grind a bit of the clamp away.

cf-lg-jpg.3542725

Also sounds like an expensive solution

not really but seeing as you're struggling to find something (like I also did) I found the 75 quid all in second hand to be a worthwhile investment. Especially if I decide to rent another bike with no GPS mount. Your call mate!

Attachments

• Capture.jpg
    Capture.jpg
    97.5 KB · Views: 68
A garmin zumo 660 mount fits the NAV 6 perfectly, I used to use on my Bandit 1250 and it powered up the NAV 6 no problem. I've seen a few around for sale on occasions, including on this site. There's a few on e bay right now but it depends how much you are prepared to pay.

Mine was hard wired to the battery but i spliced into the cable and connected a socket so i could disconnect and remove along with the ram mount to stop some low life running off with it if i parked up anywhere.

not really but seeing as you're struggling to find something (like I also did) I found the 75 quid all in second hand to be a worthwhile investment. Especially if I decide to rent another bike with no GPS mount. Your call mate!

attachment.php

It really is a very easy solution.

Back
Top Bottom