Navigating London to Mongolia - whst GPS to buy?

Bin Ridin

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
Hello! A friend of mine is planning a drive from London to Mongolia and he asked me what would be the best GPS to buy for the trip. He is a retired commercial pilot, so he understands navigation, just not in a car.

Any suggestions as to how he would buy and set up a Garmin gps with the required maps all loaded? Ideally, without faffing with memory cards.....

Another option of course is to use a tablet and download the Google map tiles as required for offline use. I am wondering how reliable that would be for remote areas....

Any opinions or advice welcome.

Bin

head for dover upon reaching calais follow main road out of port after about 4Km filter left get on A16..? head up to E40 E34 stay on E40 till you get past germany and all that nonsense... and stay on that road pretty much till you get past Lake Baikal at the next decent right near Ulan Ude hook a right, jobs a carrot...

I’d suggest any modern Garmin GPS device will do. They sell their devices in just about every country on Earth, so they work globally.

Will he be able to load maps for his entire journey without an SD card? No. Europe alone fills the normal devices’ internal memories.

What maps? I’d suggest Open Street Maps might well cater for his needs.

Tablets? I leave to someone else.

we had a russian road atlas in cyrilic seerillick ciryliciy that stupid russian bullshit spelling shite no fecker can read and a standford map in regular english....

the best thing we had was

www.michelthomas.com/learn-russian/

Last edited:
we had a russian road atlas in cyrilic seerillick ciryliciy that stupid russian bullshit spelling shite no fecker can read and a standford map in regular english....

You may have a buyer, if you are looking to sell.

I made a list and printed out some barcodes.... then went to work came back and the people, didn't follow my process... the scum....!

Back
Top Bottom