New boots needed

Davey B

Well-known member
UKGSer Subscriber
Joined
Mar 8, 2002
Messages
14,863
Reaction score
8,397
Location
Nr Beverley, East Yorks
I couldn't get on with my Forma Adv boots on my new to me RT so they've been sold. I've got some Altberg Hoggs that are superb, with jeans. I'm after some quality, waterproof touring boots....what do your recommend? I've previously had some Daytona Roadstar GTX, thy were superb. So they're on the list, as are Altberg Roadrunner...owt else I'm missing in that style of boot? Thank you learned ones
 
I wonder which boots the police bike riders use for everyday wear? They must know a thing or two when it comes to comfort and dryness in the foot department.

According to Ai, they use these:-

Police motorcycle officers in the UK typically use leather suits for protection, but many forces are moving towards textile suits for better comfort and breathability. Popular brands include Stadler, which offers high-quality, durable options designed specifically for police use.



Police Motorcycle Boots in the UK​

Police motorcycle officers in the UK typically wear specialized boots designed for durability, comfort, and protection. The following brands and models are popular among law enforcement:

Key Brands​

BrandNotable ModelsFeatures
Alt-BergPeacekeeper® P1 BootsLightweight, durable, and comfortable
HaixTactical BootsHigh-quality construction for demanding use
BatesTactical BootsKnown for comfort and support
MagnumPanther 8.0 Side-Zip BootsEasy on/off with side zipper, durable
AdidasGSG-9.2024 Side-Zip BootsAthletic performance with tactical feature



Boot for thought! :D
 
Last edited:
Go for something more touring oriented, like the Forma Arbo Dry

I’ve got the Forma Air 3 Outdry which are great if you can find your size, waterproof, not too hot and comfortable to walk around in
 
Went from Altberg Clubmans after 17 years to Daytona Roadstar GTX and could not get on with them so within a few years (2013) I bought a set of Altberg Roadrunners which are now my main boots (they had new soles last year to a more robust type that is now used ) but brilliant boots and I prefer something with a bit of grip for gravel car parks etc

ps still use the Clubmans on odd occasions and they are still fit for purpose and on their original soles (they were bought in I Believe 1993 or 94)
 
I've had a pair of Daytona M Star GTXs which were extremely comfortable and very well made that I sold on here after swapping my 1250GS for a 1250RS. I tried a pair of Alpine Star web gortex boots but was never really happy with them, they just didn't have the sturdiness of the Daytona's so I changed them for a pair of Daytona Road Star GTXs which I've been very pleased with, same quality and comfort that I had with the Road Stars. I bougt mine from FC Moto when they were on offer, I had to pay import duty etc on them but they were still nearly £100 cheaper than buying them in the UK.
 
I’m a big fan of Altbergs, last year I bought a pair of Rev'it Everest Gore-Tex and wore them in the winter another excellent boot.
 
I’ve just bought a pair of these , as TCX boots always fit me well .
Tried them yesterday and they are very comfortable.

IMG_6512.jpg

Bit of a bargain if they have your size in stock .
The tightening system makes them very adjustable and comfortable.
Similar to Boa but slightly different in operation .

As an aside I bought a pair of Daytonas years ago after recommendations on here .
Road Star GTXs from memory .
Fine for 6 months but then they stretched so much they were unwearable . Complete waste of £400 !!
 
Last edited:
I’ve just bought a pair of these , as TCX boots always fit me well .
Tried them yesterday and they are very comfortable.

View attachment 541106

Bit of a bargain if they have your size in stock .
The tightening system makes them very adjustable and comfortable.
Similar to Boa but slightly different in operation .

As an aside I bought a pair of Daytonas years ago after recommendations on here .
Road Star GTXs from memory .
Fine for 6 months but then they stretched so much they were unwearable . Complete waste of £400 !!
I’ve got the short version of those and they are good. Quick to do up/undo, waterproof, comfy.
 
Thanks chaps.
@OMG!!
Thanks, but those listed boots are general patrol/firearms type boots rather than motorcycle boots. I had a couple of those listed during my 30 yrs 'work'.
The TCX ones really aren't my cup of tea. They look like a mix of a derriboot, a trainer and a motorbike boot. I want pretty basic things....Have had Altberg for 30 yrs of varying types...may have to do a big loop for a days ride....Sportsbikeshop and J and S to try some on and make a note of what fits, and then Altberg to see if a) they have a pair my size in stock and b) if not, how long for manufacture and delivery (likely 10 week-ish)
Thanks again
 
  • Like
Reactions: HxH
I’ve just retired a pair of 20 year old Altberg Hogg Microlite that have started to let in water.
Easily the most comfortable boots I’ve worn and very good for the trips we do which involve some walking, but they are a faff to get on and off.

I’ve gone for these now, https://www.motolegends.com/klim-outlander-gtx-boots-in-black

£250 in the Motolegends sale. They seem very comfy straight out of the box and the Boa system is great

For a pure road bike trip I’m still using a pair of Daytona boots which are on their 3rd outer shell, though when that fails I’ll have to buy new as they don’t make the outer anymore.

For poncing about to the coffee shop on my Norton I’ve got a pair of Motolegends Trickers boots, which are also excellent
 
I don't mind the extra 60 seconds to put my Hoggs on...it's the way they don't work well for me if I'm wearing my Tourshell suit whereas the Forma Adv did...so the KLIM wouldn't work for me either.
 
Daytona boots, every day of the week.
All day comfort. I have 2: M Star GTX (over boots trousers) and Trans Open GTX (in boot trousers), they also come in extra wide fit.
However...both run hot in extreme hot weather. Using thin socks solved the problem a bit. Never had the problem with the BMW Savana boots.
Actually I wearing the Trans Open now with a pair of ROKKER chinos :D
 
Thanks chaps.
@OMG!!
Thanks, but those listed boots are general patrol/firearms type boots rather than motorcycle boots. I had a couple of those listed during my 30 yrs 'work'.
The TCX ones really aren't my cup of tea. They look like a mix of a derriboot, a trainer and a motorbike boot. I want pretty basic things....Have had Altberg for 30 yrs of varying types...may have to do a big loop for a days ride....Sportsbikeshop and J and S to try some on and make a note of what fits, and then Altberg to see if a) they have a pair my size in stock and b) if not, how long for manufacture and delivery (likely 10 week-ish)
Thanks again
No problem, did not know those where not for motorcycle cops, I know I like to have boots that are comfortable to walk in, so perhaps a good strong hiking boot with a low sole would suffice IMHO.
At the moment I choose to wear a Pro-first boot, bought 2 years ago and lasted well, they have buckle quick release fastening rather than laces or zippers, that can break over time from wet conditions, bikers experience often.
These I use, on sports bikes, but well usable on adventure bikes too:-


The other ones I much prefer are these, great comfy boot, never had wet feet yet:-

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Profirst-M...EQdu64la&sp_csd=d2lkZ2V0TmFtZT1zcF9hdGY&psc=1

As you can see not a lot of money for a quality boot.


Good luck in your search.
 
I wonder which boots the police bike riders use for everyday wear? They must know a thing or two when it comes to comfort and dryness in the foot department.

According to Ai, they use these:-

Police motorcycle officers in the UK typically use leather suits for protection, but many forces are moving towards textile suits for better comfort and breathability. Popular brands include Stadler, which offers high-quality, durable options designed specifically for police use.



Police Motorcycle Boots in the UK​

Police motorcycle officers in the UK typically wear specialized boots designed for durability, comfort, and protection. The following brands and models are popular among law enforcement:

Key Brands​

BrandNotable ModelsFeatures
Alt-BergPeacekeeper® P1 BootsLightweight, durable, and comfortable
HaixTactical BootsHigh-quality construction for demanding use
BatesTactical BootsKnown for comfort and support
MagnumPanther 8.0 Side-Zip BootsEasy on/off with side zipper, durable
AdidasGSG-9.2024 Side-Zip BootsAthletic performance with tactical feature



Boot for thought! :D
Are any of those cappers for Demos and football duty; :D
 
  • Like
Reactions: HxH
I have both ,Daytona roadstar 20 years. Bit like triggers broom 2nd pair of soles gone on and now both instep patches need replacing. Deadly boots waterproof comfortable etc.

I also have a set of Altbergs I bought from the parish. They are deadly as well comfortable waterproof etc.

The only thing is they feel like
polio boots because they are a bit more rigid than the Daytona's

Either way you can't go wrong
 
No problem, did not know those where not for motorcycle cops, I know I like to have boots that are comfortable to walk in, so perhaps a good strong hiking boot with a low sole would suffice IMHO.


The other ones I much prefer are these, great comfy boot, never had wet feet yet:-


Good luck in your search.
Cheers. The Altberg Peacekeeper is basically a black hiking boot. The Altberg HOGG is specifically a motorbike boot but for me, doesn't work with my 'touring suit' but is great with bike jeans and occasional overtrouser use.
My wife generally wears her hiking boots (Altberg obvs..) but when on a weeks tour in her Streetguard suit, she wears mid calf boots like the Daytona/Altberg Clubman as there can become a bit of a drafty (and wet) gap between the now risen up trousers and the hiking boots..she/we need the trouser/boot overlap...if that makes sense.
I'll try some stuff on at J and S and Sportsbikeshop in Leeds on Saturday and then have a ride up to Richmond one day next week.
 
  • Like
Reactions: HxH


Back
Top Bottom