No Spark

Littledumptruck

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
2008 single cam 1200 gs. about 30k miles. Non esa, not keyless, no tyre sensors. nice n basic.

My mates bought this to replace his aging 90k 2005 gs. As he's 70 now it's probably his last bike, although he's probably fitter than me at 58 in reality!!

We collected it a few weeks back, but he's waited till now for his insurance to renew rather than pay a stupid premium for the last few weeks of the old policy. Bikes been on an optimate most of the time, swapped between the two bikes at regular intervals. He's been servicing the new one, and has started swapping bits over having now taxed it from the 1st ready for tomorrow. Trouble is now it's dead, won't start. Doesn't believe he's touched anything critical like wiring or ignition related, not lifted the tank for any reason. He believes he has fuel but no spark. Bike turns over on the starter. It has been starting fine while he's been doing various parts of the service, after the oil change etc. Swapped the screen for his one and now it won't start, can't see how that would cause it.

So one of the main differences between the two bikes is this one has a factory alarm. And this is my first area of concern. Would an alarm fault leave the bike turning over but immobilise the ignition circuit? Is there any kind of reset procedure for the alarm?
Any other suggestions before he trailers it to a garage. I've already mentioned 'Kill Switch' to him, just in case.

Is he sure there’s no spark?
I’m sure you’ve probably done this, but just in case:
Take the main plug out of each cylinder in turn and whilst connected to the HT lead place it against the cylinder and hit the starter. If you can see a spark then it’s something else that’s wrong.

Ring antenna would be my guess initially

Nothing in the display, no ews showing. He took it somewhere to get it tested and came away with a diagnosis of the pump controller, but fitting a new one today has made no difference.
Would the ring antenna on his 05 be the same? I tried to persaude him to try swapping but he’s reluctant to pull the old bike apart.

2008 single cam 1200 gs. about 30k miles. Non esa, not keyless, no tyre sensors. nice n basic.

So one of the main differences between the two bikes is this one has a factory alarm. And this is my first area of concern. Would an alarm fault leave the bike turning over but immobilise the ignition circuit? Is there any kind of reset procedure for the alarm?
Any other suggestions before he trailers it to a garage. I've already mentioned 'Kill Switch' to him, just in case.
YEs factory alarms can allow them to spin over but not ignite
Is he getting flashy indicators for arm and disarm when he pushes buttons?

WHy did he change the
Aparently not, nothing flashing. He’s tried a new battery in the remote too.
Again recollecting there was a 12v rechargeable battery in the alarm module "BUT" I am not sure for post 2006 bikes

When the alarm battery was past its best it would flash EWT ?? I don;t think it was EWS for the Alarm battery degradation

Alarm system here (Should be under plastics below the saddle) https://www.realoem.com/bmw/enUS/sh...25-BMW-R_1200_GS_04_0307,0317_&diagId=65_1426

PART 5 If I recall was the get out of jail card for a knackered alarm common across the range https://www.realoem.com/bmw/enUS/pa...317_&mg=65&sg=75&diagId=65_1426&q=61137668405

Last edited:
The alarm error message in the case where the internal back-up battery is weak is DWA.

The alarm cannot immobilise the bike.

Sent from my SM-T813 using Tapatalk

Need some very simple basic information,not a “ he thinks it has” type of answer ………………. … does it have a spark ? Yes or no .. is there fuel reaching the injectors ? Yes or no … is there fuel coming out of the injectors ? Yes or no … What does “ he took it somewhere to get it tested” mean ? .. took it where ? what did they test ? How did they test it ? Why didn’t they get it running instead of telling him ( possibly wrongly) what the problem was ?

He took it to Ian Joyce near Northampton who I guess stuck it on his 911 tester which diagnosed the pump controller. My mate chose not to leave it with him, I'd guess Ian was too busy to do much more than the test. New pump controller made no difference so he has now booked it in for later this month with Ian.

He took it to Ian Joyce near Northampton who I guess stuck it on his 911 tester which diagnosed the pump controller. My mate chose not to leave it with him, I'd guess Ian was too busy to do much more than the test. New pump controller made no difference so he has now booked it in for later this month with Ian.
So in summery,
It looks like it's not a problem with the spark after all.
Ian sorted mine out when I had problems starting mine.
It turned out in the end that he needed to replace the fuel pump and fuel pump controller, this was at around 97.000 miles I think.
37.000 miles later and it's still fine.

Code 10168 electric Fuel pump System faulty. Could be the pump or the FPC.

It is easy (2 min job, one tool) to undo the fuel pipe off an injector and see whether fuel flows out when ign is switched on.

Back
Top Bottom