Not in the absolute countryside, so it’ll lose a mark or two from those who can only sleep if close to their favourite ewe.
That aside, it’s a very good hotel:
Located in the charming village of Montigny la Resle, the Logis Hôtel le Soleil d'Or is a haven of peace in a bucolic setting. Nestling in the heart of Burgundy, this establishment offers you a wonderful escape from the hustle and bustle of the city, while still being within easy reach of...
www.logishotels.com
Again, not cheap on the menu front, but good quality overall, with nice staff.
What I have tended to do, is mix’n’match, one higher end hotel (such as this) followed by say, two cheaper ones. This averages out the overall cost considerably. Plus, one has to accept that France has become expensive.
Also, I fully recognise that, when in full time employment, I was lucky enough to stay in some very nice hotels - and eat in bloody good restaurants - at zero cost; indeed, in a sense, I was paid to stay and eat in them. But, even then, travelling on my own or with chums privately, it was far from gold plated each night. A part of the fun was finding somewhere new and, in a way, ‘risking it’. Once or twice I cocked-up but hey ho…. And yes, we’ve eaten pizza and burgers too, especially when you discover the restaurant is shut as it’s the evening of Saint Someone or Other. Really, what is the real ‘risking it’ amount to? Nothing much, in Western Europe and nobody dies.