Not a motorcycle (and hardly a trip) but….

Past the air vent for the trains running underneath, heading from Wapping station to Shadwell

IMG_2212.jpeg

The whole area, heavily bombed in 1940, still retains its old cobbled streets, the former warehouses and a reminder of the global trade of the Empire, which made it the centre of largest docks in the world. I had to remind myself where Penang is; Malaysia. I guess it was linked to the import of rubber and ivory.

IMG_2213.jpeg

IMG_2214.jpeg

IMG_2215.jpeg

IMG_2216.jpegIMG_2212.jpeg

Attachments

• IMG_2213.jpeg
    IMG_2213.jpeg
    329.3 KB · Views: 4
Last edited:
Nearly home.

The large Roman Catholic church

IMG_2217.jpeg

IMG_2218.jpeg

Turner’s Old Star pub. It‘s very basic inside (and very ‘East End’) but a proper boozer, which is no bad thing. In a way, it harks back to the meeting house, which stood not far away

IMG_2219.jpeg

The repurposed old fire station from 1905, showing how the area has gone through another change in demographics

IMG_2221.jpeg

IMG_2220.jpeg

and the end, in yet another small green park

IMG_2222.jpeg

A great sunday morning read Richard, thanks. (Thankfully, my Mrs hates shopping so any visit to a town or city involves lots of ambling around the architecture, watercourses and out of the way places)

Thank you.

I am lucky in that it is all right on my doorstep.

What an excellent write up, there is something very special about waterways, the way the light works even in the most urban places. As a non Londoner I find it interesting that there is som much greenery and water, I suppose it's just about looking in the right places.

What an excellent write up, there is something very special about waterways, the way the light works even in the most urban places. As a non Londoner I find it interesting that there is som much greenery and water, I suppose it's just about looking in the right places.

Thank you.

Somebody reminded me that I had done some write-up’s on walks during Covid. I needed an excuse to restart getting out and about properly, which the conversion to my Brompton gave me. A bicycle, now that London has got used to the cycle lanes, is a pretty good way to get about. That, when folded, I can take it on TFL (which is free) is just a bonus. It’s easier than a motorbike or scooter.

I’ll do some more during the summer, hopefully.

The only thing that sometimes spoils the footpath / cycle way, is a handful yobs on derestricted bicycles, who just do not care. The whole thing, with an upkeep of thousands of pounds a year, is there for everyone to enjoy, especially families with young kids. It is narrow in parts, not much over a yard wide. It is dangerous, irresponsible and rude to barrel along. I found it quite enjoyable to just cycle along, giving an occasional ting on the bell as a warning and thanking people for stepping just to one side, to avoid any of us coming into conflict or ending up in the water. More often than not, everyone smiled and was happy, a simple acknowledgment working wonders. Similarly, I could wait patiently, if a party was coming the other way and were ‘There first’ if you get my drift. But, hey, that’s all something for another thread.

Last edited:
Great pictures as always Wapping, thanks for the informative narrative too.

The two Bazalgette outfall pipes pictured above were once the scene of a dastardly IRA plot to disrupt the flow of pooh from our fair capital; fortunately their knowledge of shape charge technology was not as advanced as it later became.

Thanks Richard, enjoyed that.
Nice to see another side of our capital.
Interesting to see the amount of graffiti.

Smashing wobble and pictures

I visit London regularly living not too far away. Normally gravitate towards the Thames..Shad, Southbank, Westminster, Leicester Square etc….but have always had a yearning to follow the canal paths and the parts I ignore en route.
ive a trip planned next month for wine tasting in Vincent Square and dinner in Boisdale, Belgravia. I’ll see if Mrs g00ner is up for checking some of the less known areas such as yourself

Nice day out, an area I know little about.

If you are thinking of a marine investment I would avoid the pink lifeboat, the vomit bucket, as that is their main characteristic after saving folk from a rig. Many have spent a couple of hours in them furiously chucking as part of their offshore courses.

Better with the Dutch import, it's proven it's seaworthy qualities and looks a good do-er-upper. Nice location as well if you can negotiate the mooring with it.

Thank you everyone.

A friend of mine, had a German colleague that lived on a houseboat in Limehouse Dock. She enjoyed it, apparently.

I’ll do some more, once we are past the excitement of June.

When I lived in Enfield I'd often get on the cycleway near Chingford and cycle down to Canary Wharf, then on to Westminster, stopping off at a pub near the Tower for a pint. Along with a few minor detours on the way and it was a 40 mile round journey. Always had a second stop at the Navigation pub 2 miles from home.

It's also a good ride going north up the river from Chingford as it takes in some good sights up to and past Hertford.

The River Lea area is great for cycling.

Thank you. I have been looking at the maps of the waterways, planning out some ideas. When I lived in W1, I used to walk along the Regent’s canal, up to Camden, past the ill fated, Blow Up Bridge, the scene apparently of a violent explosion in the 1800’s.

I thought the A11 went to Norwich. At least that's what the road sign says this end. Nice Urban "village" life and is that Gas Henge in the distance. I think the graffiti could do with some form of spelling correction and the grammar police would have a field day. But nice bit of development.

The A11 is in two parts, one in East London and one North of Cambridge, the bit in the middle is now called the M11.

As ever, a fabulous trip through the Great Wen! Thanks.

I had to snigger at "Bow Locks" - maybe it's just me?

Back
Top Bottom